Protein Powders

Options
RaineyLaney
RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
Hi all, I am thinking of getting some protein powder to add to my almond milk or water. I have a hard time getting my calories up where I want them without raising my carbs up higher than I want.

Does anyone here use protein powders that are low in carb/sugars? If so what brand do you use. Thanks for any help you can give.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I like to use Optimum Nutrition (Gold). It has 3g carbs per serving.
    I have tried a couple of the cheaper brands and my body (arthritis) didn't react well.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html?zenid=246603e1a01f4b6fbcc109cc7673f532

Alternatively, nuts are good way to push up you calories. I single serving can pack on 200 cals. with very few carbs.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I use Six Star Whey protein. http://www.sixstarpro.ca/
    I tried it with water once, and it wasn't nearly as good as with milk. Haven't tried almond milk though.
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Im learning that certain foods and herbs interact with certain meds; hence no more tomatoes or oranges, etc for me

Just make sure that whatever you purchase does not negatively influence current meds or conditions

My new doc , one if then, whats to test for food allergies further as he thinks wheat and whey are problems for me
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I think the Muscle Pharm Combat protein powders are exceptionally tasty. Really tasty flavors and around $25/tub. I like to make protein ice cream, especially with the cookies and cream, banana and orange creamsicle varieties. Banana also makes awesome protein pancakes. I also think it's just as good mixed with water as it is mixed with milk (almond milk for me)

1 scoop is
    130 calories
    5 g carbs - 1 g fiber 2 g sugar
    2 g fat
    25 g protein

For plain vanilla or chocolate, I prefer a whey isolate and generally use Precision Engineered Whey Protein Isolate. It's pricier @ $38/tub and I only like it mixed with almond milk

1 scoop is
    130 calories
    2 g carb - 1 g fiber - <1 g sugar
    30 g protein
  • nvstlrgrl
    nvstlrgrl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with almond milk in the morning. I prefer Garden of Life Raw Protien. The vanilla has only 4g carbs and 90 calories, the chocolate has 7g carbs and 90 calories. It tastes awful with just water, but not bad with the almond milk. Sometimes I mix it in with some fruit and almond milk in the blender. Altho I realize some T2 can't really eat fruit without the spike. Luckily if it is a type of berry I don't get that reaction.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use Target brand sometimes, and Pure Protein. I LOVE my morning shake: 1 scoop protein powder, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, milk, frozen fresh spinach leaves, and flax seed. MMMmmmmmmm.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your replys. ( eat nuts every day, but only want one serving a day if I can help it). I ended up hitting Walmart after work yesterday and bought a whey isolate. I has 1 carb and 30g protein. no sugars. It cost me $22 for ahuge container of it. I got the vanilla creame flavor and plan on mixing it with my almond milk (or possibly water) on the meals, I lack protein vs the carbs for that meal.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    the vegan ones are really low in carbs!