Stuck at same weight for 6 months :(

Options
dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
So I am 35, 5'2, and for years was able to maintain my weight very well at 125lbs. Then I had a baby 15 months ago, and while most of the weight came off fairly easily, the last 10 lbs have been super stubborn. I have been stuck at 135lbs for at least 6 months. 3 months ago I joined MFP, started working out. Then I started Jillian's Body Revolution 7 weeks ago (90 program). I have lost 4 inches overall so far and about 2% body fat, but the scale refuses to budge.

I swear I have tried everything, staggering calories, eating more to lose - I actually gained a pound. I even started running twice a week in addition to the strength training. I'm at a loss.

I just read Wheat Belly, and it was quite the eye opener. So I have decided to cut out all wheat/gluten and that pretty much means low carb. Basically, I'm going to stick to meat, veggies, and dairy, and keep my calories at around 1200 since eating more causes me to gain.

Just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation and is low carb working for you?

Replies

• coozine
    coozine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is precisely the reason that I have gone low carb combined with low calorie (1200). It's working!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd LOVE to maintain my weight and lose 4 inches - that's a LOT of muscle you put on!!

Also, it's still fairly easy to eat gluten-free but still eat a lot of carbs - potatoes, fruit, starchy veggies, rice, corn, sugar, etc.
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to stick to 1200 calories, I have a feeling that was my biggest problem, I was eating too much - everyone on here was telling me to eat more to lose, well it didn't work for me. I will also watch the starchy carbs, and limit those as well.

Glad I'm not alone! :smile:
  • yazziem
    yazziem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When you weighed 125, were you working out to the same degree? If not, you may have to readjust your expectation of a healthy weight for yourself, making allowances for the added muscle you have built.
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    When you weighed 125, were you working out to the same degree? If not, you may have to readjust your expectation of a healthy weight for yourself, making allowances for the added muscle you have built.

No, I didn't really workout much at all. I went walking a couple times a week, but that's about it. I agree, I would be happy with 130lbs. Just frustrated I can't seem to get there no matter how much I exercise.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    Ive recommended this to people before but I really really really recommend following this calculator.

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

I try and hit the values this produced (when I am on a fat loss push) and can quite easily hit them (within 10-15 grams) though if anything I am under on fat and carbs. For me I found it got me through that last 10lb sticking point and while what works for one may not work for another I would really recommend giving it a try if you are the type that can set a goal and stick to it.

:o) good luck
  • coozine
    Options
    I agree!
  • coozine
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to stick to 1200 calories, I have a feeling that was my biggest problem, I was eating too much - everyone on here was telling me to eat more to lose, well it didn't work for me. I will also watch the starchy carbs, and limit those as well.

I notice that I GAIN weight on a 1200 calorie day, if I go OVER 40 grams of carbs a day. AND, I have a physical job as well as working around 90 hours per week. (Translation: I don't lay around watching TV all day!)