Thoughts on my blood test results?

Options
dancingdeer
dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
Hi - I've been on Armour 30 mg (1/2 grain) for about 8 weeks now. Before starting Armour, by blood work was as follows:

TSH 2.0
FT3 3.0 (range 2.3 - 4.2)
FT4 0.9 (range .6 - 1.7)

After starting Armour (blood work done at 6 week point)

TSH 0.9
FT3 3.0 (range 2.3 - 4.2)
FT4 0.67 (range .6 - 1.7)

From what I have read, don't I want my T3 and T4 to be in the upper part of the "range"? Also, those with experience - would you consider me hypothyroid by my testing? Over the last few years, my FT3 And FT4 have been about where they are now. My TSH however, has been anywhere from .90 - 2.0
I"m concerned because my FT3 and FT4 seem to be dropping, instead of going up.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• dancingdeer
    Options
    Anyone?
  • abenardini
    abenardini Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The most important question is, How do you feel? Are you still experiencing symptoms? I feel my best if my TSH is between .6 and 1 and I really haven't been paying much attention to my other levels. I also am not experiencing any symptoms so I am not really concerned. My endo treats more on symptoms than levels.
  • dancingdeer
    Options
    Thanks for the response. Honestly, I don't feel much difference - if at all. I was on Synthroid for two weeks before I had her switch me to Armour. During that time - I think I had an increased appetite. I might have a tiny bit more energy, but nothing too dramatic.

Perhaps I need to have her up my dose a bit.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Since you asked your initial bloodwork doesn't really scream hypothyroid. Normal TSH is .3-3. My doctor would probably refuse to start me on thyroid meds with these lab values, unless there were positive antibodies. He would try to find other causes for symptoms, Vit D levels, anemia. However, kudos to you for getting treatment if you had symptoms. Symptom relief should always be the number one priority in treating hypo. Many people are just not comfortable until FT4 is about midrange and FT3 is upper half to upper third of range. Your FT4 is low after starting treatment, its normal for T4 to trail behind after starting treatment with a combination drug because it takes time to build up. If you still have symptoms you might need increased dose in Armour.
  • Hlthy4Good
    Hlthy4Good Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I switched from Synthroid to Armour in an attempt to improve my symptoms. After 8 weeks, I literally had bald spots on my head, was so tired I fell asleep at a red light, almost causing an accident, and gained 15 pounds. I had uncontrollable cravings for fast foods (which I would never usually eat) while on it as well - I'm sure that was the reason for the ridiculous gain. Oh and my thyroid was lower than it was before I started treatment in the first place. Unfortunately it took me about 6 weeks to make the connection to Armour and now the damage is done.

I am back on Synthroid and starting to feel a bit better, although my weight loss hasn't improved. The moral of my story is: you know your body better than anyone. If you see unusual symptoms - I realized each and every one of these things was happening, just didn't connect it to the Armour - call your doctor to make an adjustment before it's too late.

Good luck!
  • LizGozza
    LizGozza Posts: 45
    Options
    I have to agree your values don't say hypo to me and your symptoms may be related to something else. I wouldn't get off armour or anything but maybe test for other things that could be causing all of this?
    if it helps, my tsh was a 6.5 and I've been on armour for 8 weeks now. I feel a little better but nothing huge yet, sometimes it takes time.
  • dancingdeer
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! After feeling horrible for the last few weeks, I decided to get off Armour. I've been having extremely low blood pressure which is a sign of my adrenals and pituitary being compromised by the Armour. I went to my nutritionist today and she confirmed that my pituitary is not happy. My resting heart rate was also high, which is very abnormal. She said she thought my GP jumped the gun on prescribing Armour, because my thyroid seems fine to her - it's my para-thyroid that has acted up in the past, but is okay now. So....back on nutritional therapy to try to heal myself from all this. My hormones are totally wacked at the moment.