how to increase pace?

Options
Wjolaughlin
Wjolaughlin Posts: 23 Member
I am only on week 6 and I don't intend to start increase pace now, I just want to get through the program first. But I have noticed that I am a really really slow runner, I can probably walk faster than I am running. I like to look forward though. Once I am done with the program I'll want to move on to another goal. I thought maybe it would be doing a 10K, but honestly I just don't always have the time each day to run more than 30-45 minutes each day. I need to be home with my children and I don't have a treadmill, I run outside around my neighborhood.

Are there any strategies or plans for picking up the pace of your run? I thought maybe I'd start the program over but push myself to run faster in the intervals. But I didn't know if there was a better way?

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see what responses you get to this too. I did the C25K last year. For my final workout I ran a 5K course, and wasn't very much faster than what I had walked the same course earlier in the summer. I didn't run all winter so I started again from the beginning this spring (just finished week 3) and am able to work more on speed, but want to know what to do once I finish the 9 weeks again.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Speed will come naturally as you put more miles into your week, and with more runs. If you look to shifting into speed work once you finish, go to runner's world. They have speed workouts that incorporate tempo runs, fartleks, hills, and long runs. But your increase will come naturally as your distance increases.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Just started week 3 and very very slow. My idea was to repeat the program and aim for a faster pace too.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Some people have done the program over to get faster, but I'm not sure that's the most efficient way.

There are dozens of great training plans to increase speed at the 5k distance - Runner's World is a wonderful resource in general - generically, a basic weekly plan is usually 50% of your weekly mileage in a long run, 25-30% as easy runs and 10% as speed work (with an easy pace between the intervals to make up the last 10-15%). That way you're building all the components of successful running over a week's time.

The missing piece to this is strength training. Many experienced runners have found speed gains by lifting heavy and increasing their overall fitness.
  • Wjolaughlin
    Wjolaughlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I will check out Runners World. The reason I was thinking of doing the program over is because I really like using the app on my phone,the prompts telling me when to run, walk, cool down, etc. Perhaps there is another app that would help with the pace.
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been using the NHS Couch to 5k plus podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Couch-to-5k-plus.aspx) - they're definitely helping increase my speed and stamina. Plus, I just choose the podcast for the length of run I've got time to do and it's been really good. I finished C25K at the beginning of April and instead of dropping back on the amount of running I'm doing, I find myself actually wanting to go out for a 3 mile+ run, four or five days a week - which blows my mind considering I couldn't run more than 45 seconds back in January!
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest downloading an app that has a metronome and "ghost run" capabilities. I use iSmoothRun and both work great.

The optimal cadence for running is 180 footfalls (90 strides per leg) per minute no matter what speed you are going. So making sure you're at 180 is a good place to start. A lot of people try to take longer strides to go faster, but that actually just messes up their form. Your feet should meet the ground under your body, not out in front. What actually changes when going faster is a stronger kick up with the back leg. That's why sprinters in races practically kick their own butt with each stride.

The ghost run mechanism compares where you're at on your current run with a previous saved run. So if you have a a pace or time you want to beat the app will tell you if you're ahead or behind as you go. It's kind of like racing yourself.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The NHS podcasts are great! I reached my current 160 BPM (which is about average) with them.

The 10k apps will help you with your speed as well as with distance.

However, I found that I wasn't that excited by the thought of another app once I'd graduated. There's a lot of resources out there so, if one thing doesn't suit you, find something else that does.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am planning on using Smart Coach ( http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/new_plan.jsp )
    And putting the workouts in to Nike + each day for motivation.
    I think you can adjust it to say you would like to work on speed.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I write the workouts on my wall calendar and check them off when I complete them.