Body Symmetry

I am starting to get some definition in my shoulders and arms, however dispite my workout symmetry my left side has more noticable growth than my right side. Specifically biceps, triceps, and traps. I workout each muscle group together and seperately. Can anyone offer some advice to resolve this? Is it as simple as working those muscles on the right side with more weight or more reps than the left side?

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    I'm curious about this myself. As the Bf% is going down I'm starting to notice the size difference.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I've found that your dominate side gets bigger. ie.. right if you are right handed etc... I don't have a great solution but if it's possible, I'll do 8 reps with the strong side and 10 reps with the weak side. ie.. dumbbell rolls, cable work etc.... bicep curls.
  • danekin
    danekin Posts: 21
    I sought advice and I also read as much as I could find online. There were a few schools of thought.

The first was that working out the weaker side harder to bring it up will work but can risk you ending up with your weaker side becoming the stronger side and then creating a vicious cycle. This can be accomplished by working out the weaker side harder every second workout either by more weight or more reps. The consensus was not to do it this way.

The second view, and the recommended approach, was to bring your weak side up to a good resistance even if it was too easy for your stronger side and then build it up from there keeping reps and weight equalised for both sides. Most articles stated that despite having a stronger side that grows quicker that as long as the workouts remain equal on both sides your body will eventually sort itself out and become symmetrical over time.

I think I will give it a couple of months and see where I am at then. Otherwise I might try upping the reps on my weak side for a few weeks.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    I sought advice and I also read as much as I could find online. There were a few schools of thought.

The first was that working out the weaker side harder to bring it up will work but can risk you ending up with your weaker side becoming the stronger side and then creating a vicious cycle. This can be accomplished by working out the weaker side harder every second workout either by more weight or more reps. The consensus was not to do it this way.

The second view, and the recommended approach, was to bring your weak side up to a good resistance even if it was too easy for your stronger side and then build it up from there keeping reps and weight equalised for both sides. Most articles stated that despite having a stronger side that grows quicker that as long as the workouts remain equal on both sides your body will eventually sort itself out and become symmetrical over time.

I think I will give it a couple of months and see where I am at then. Otherwise I might try upping the reps on my weak side for a few weeks.

Kinda leaning towards the second school or rather been doing it that way. I also try to use more balance from my weak side to force it into working harder.

Like you I guess I will wait and see once I lose more weight.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I can say from all the years of lifting, I've never been able to get my weaker side stronger than my other. I haven't seriously concentrated on it but it would be a great problem to have if it was possible