obese and C25K

Options
asalembier
asalembier Posts: 124 Member
Hi all!
Well I finally did it! I got my large lazy butt off the couch and took up running. Phew!!! It was hard and painful
But I havent given up yet. I could do the traditional 1min run/ 1.5 min walk so I altered it to 30sec/2 min walk
I finished w2d2. Imagine that.
I have almost worked out the shin splints pain with a lot of stretching and am slowly increasing some of my runs to 1 min
I am 5'6 240lbs. I never wouldve thought I would make it past day 1 or continue for that matter. I am proud of myself!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself! Making the commitment to run is a huge milestone.

Take it slow and easy and listen to your body. Everybody on here overcomes challenges to be able to run, so you'll find a lot of encouragement and support. Let us know who you are doing.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started around 240 too and thought that I was too fat to succeed. I am starting week 7 tonight!!! I totally surprise myself each week when I think that I can't possibly run any more and I do. On Sat I ran 22 min and tonight is 25 min and I am not scared at all. Have faith in yourself, especially when you get to Week 5 when it jumps from 8 min to 20 min. It doesn't seem possible to be able to do the increase but it totally is!!!!!
  • ColumnHugger
    ColumnHugger Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on week two as well and I'm loving it. However, my hip and my knees are killing me so I couldn't complete my run yesterday.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm 218ish and just finished week 2 today. Never expected to get that far. I'm having shin splints/pain issues but they seemed better today, so that's encouraging.

We can rock this.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    W7d1 done! 25 minutes straight. Woo woo. Feels amazing :) everyone keep up the good work its so worth it.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wrong thread :/ sorry
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congrats you're amazing! I started dabbling in jogging at 220, and committed to c25k shortly thereafter. It was SO hard, hard, hard, and yet, 8 months later. I just jogged 6 miles yesterday! And then today went out and jogged 2.5 to loosen up after such a strenuous yesterday. I remember when c25k would knock me out for the rest of the night, and tonight I was playing tag with my son after 2.5 miles. It's incredible what our bodies can do, even obese. Be patient with yourself, trust your body's signals, and just keep going.

It's not bad for weight loss either... from 220 to 180 in 8 months. Good luck! And congrats for starting, that's not easy with the mind games we can play with ourselves.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You should be very, very proud!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Great job! I wasn't brave enough to start until I was around 195.

Do you think the shin splints are weight related, or something that can be easily changed like shoes?