Week 6 and onwards

Options
skiporchid
skiporchid Posts: 20 Member
I finished week 5/day 3 on the weekend. At some point during the run my app must have froze because I got really nervous that I hadn't heard the "you are half way there" notification. I had another app running and figured out I was probably around 17 minutes so I skipped ahead and finished the 20. I actually think I probably could have kept going :o YAY

I was going to do week 6/day 1 today but I got rained out.

I signed up for a 5K race that is actually before I will finish the C25K program -race day is June 13. I know I'm not supposed to worry about speed but I am. I think I spent too many years in school coming in last place, and now this race I'm doing with people from work and I'm so dreading the possibility that I come last. I know, I'm ahead of the people still on couch and that there will probably be people who walk the race so I might be ahead of them. I've even been spotted running around the neighbourhood so I feel like that's all the more pressure to do well...yes I might have some perfectionist/competitiveness problems :*) The 20 minute run I average 9:28min/km and my personal best right now is week 5/day 2, I averaged 7:43min/km. Still that puts me at over 37minutes if I keep that time for the 5K. And then I go read around the internet people running their slow or first run at like 30 minutes. I probably need to just let things go right? And not compare myself to other people?

Replies

• drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My first race is on Sunday and I'm in week 7 so I know how you feel. I think you just need to go into it being confident. There's probably no way you will be last so Sony even worry about it. Good luck btw!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A few things:

If people from work are running this thing, then they are runners and they know how much work you've put in to getting where you are. If they aren't runners, well, you won't be the person coming in last, will you? The people in your neighborhood will be impressed that you finished.

40 minutes is a pretty decent time. See if you can look up last year's race results and see where your current times would put you in the crowd. Then realize that the race environment will shave a few minutes off your time.

Finally, whether we are Olympic level or not, we all run our own race. When you are out there, it will be you against your goal. You will need to run the race that's right for you to be able to finish while making your best time. And that's the great thing about your first race: no matter what you run, it'll be your personal record. :)

Fabulous job on completing 5.3 and congratulations on your upcoming race!
  • skiporchid
    skiporchid Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying. I'm just over thinking.

And thanks for the tip on looking at last years times. HOLY MOLY there were 1500 runners last year. I guess in my worries I imagine it as a group of 30 people lol. I looked at the times and I feel better now.

The skies have cleared up so maybe I'll make week 6/day 1 today. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I know. I have my first real 10k coming up on Saturday and am freaking out about it all over the forums.