Anyone have Hashimoto's and other autoimmune disorders?

Options
stonel94
stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
I have Hashi's, Celiacs, and newly diagnosed Pernicious Anemia
anyone else have multiple and how do you deal with it all?

Replies

• stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos too. And...I am pre-diabetic (I take Metformin) I am a 12 1/2 year survivor of breast cancer (my immune system was also compromised from chemotherapy) and I take meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. So I have a few multi symptoms along with the thyroid. Feel Free to add me as a friend. Rosemarie :wink:
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh I see second part of your question...how do you deal with it? Well, I have a pretty healthy outlook since tackling breast cancer. The answer I have is, I take it one day at a time and I consider this" just a speed bump, not a roadblock". There are so many people who have it worse and have more serious illnesses so all in all, I consider myself blessed that I have health issues that are treatable. I was DX with Hashis about 1 1/2 years ago, I had 1/3 (isthmus) of my thyroid removed (although my current endo thinks he should have taken all...different story for different day) I started out on levothyroxine (sp?) and did so-so, now I am on Name Brand Synthroid & improving more. (There is a difference with generics) I still have some symptoms but not anywhere near as bad as they were.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and hypothyroidism. I suspect hashis, but haven't been to the endo yet. I go later in the month of June. So, I'll know more then. 2 pieces of advice from me: 1. find a good doctor and build a relationship. If the doctor isn't good, dump 'em and 2. do your own research; be your advocate. :)
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's and vitaligo. My sister has hashimotos, colitis (autoimmune), psoriasis, and multiple sclerosis. A cousin of ours has hashimotos and is being evaluated for lupus.

My sister is not doing well - the MS is not really responding to treatment, and her colitis was severe enough during her last flare-up to cause malnutrition. She was in danger of having a heart attack because her electrolytes were so low. Her psoriasis is terrible. The only thing that has responded to treatment is the hashi's. But it's hard to be happy about that when exhausted and in pain, and you are using a cane at 35.

I once read somewhere that once you get an autoimmune disease, you are significantly more likely to get another.

Sorry you are having to deal with this.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's ( diagnosed based on an ultrasound, my antibodies are normal ) - please feel free to add me as a friend. I take L-Thyroxine and struggle with losing weight and brain fog.
  • alexis49er
    alexis49er Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos with antibodies that were too high to register at my lab. I struggle with brain fog and tiredness on top of trying to lose weight. I think I've just gotten used to being tired, though.
  • ap142193
    ap142193 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have had Hashi's for a year, but only confirmed 3 months ago when I changed from my Primary Care doc to and Endo. I gained 45lbs last year and almost couldnt wear my wedding dress. I have jumped from a size 6 to a size 14 and have really struggled emotionally with my weight gain. Its also compounded by the fact that my husband and i are trying to conceive. I am trying to change my diet to restrict gluten and processed sugars. Today is my first day of my new "diet" and I already and struggling with the change. However, I read that Hasi's patients have trouble with gluten, so Im trying.

Since I am new to this whole situation, I will take all the support I can get!
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. Diagnosed about 15 years ago and I am on synthroid. Feel free to add me as a friend
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hashi's, celiac and diabetes. I've changed my diet completely - no grains, very limited fruit, very limited legumes, low-carb/moderate protein/high fat. I actually feel better now than I had felt in the previous 10 years.
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi. Hashi's and Addison's for me. I find it's a challenging combo to try to lose weight but other than that I'm ok. It is important to have regular blood tests, meet with your endo, and take the meds as advised. Saying all of that, they are still tweaking my levels - perhaps this will be ongoing forever. I feel fortunate that all I have to do is to take a few pills to feel great and to do what I want and need to do of a day. Others aren't so fortunate in managing symptoms. Your challenge is greater, though with the celiac's. Good luck. I've added you as a friend if you're interested.