T3 Levels

Options
I was glancing over my recent bloodwork, trying to figure out what's going on besides my hypothyroid. My free T3 test result was 2.5. It seemed like it was low normal. What do you guys think? Is this something that should be treated? I'm going in for more bloodwork today and requested a new T3 test to see if it changed. I've been feeling like crap for a while now, it's been 6 months since my TSH was at .725, and at first I felt great, but the fatigue, depression and weight gain came rocketing back,

Replies

• abenardini
    abenardini Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think that is a good idea to have your Dr. to check those levels again. You might want to have your Vit D and B levels checked as well. My guess would be that your not converting your T4 to T3 correctly in addition to maybe needing to start some good vitamin D supplements..and maybe Vitamin B. You should not be feeling that bad with a TSH at that level.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think that is a good idea to have your Dr. to check those levels again. You might want to have your Vit D and B levels checked as well. My guess would be that your not converting your T4 to T3 correctly in addition to maybe needing to start some good vitamin D supplements..and maybe Vitamin B. You should not be feeling that bad with a TSH at that level.

THIS.

It would depend on what the lab range is, but 2.5 may be low normal. Most people feel best when their T3 level is in the higher range. (I know I do).
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I've been taking a vitamin D3 supplement, as well as a multi, iron, selenium, and krill oil. I just haven't had the money to get all the tests I'd like, because we don't have insurance. It adds up really fast! I'll find out tomorrow what my T3 is at.
  • alexis49er
    alexis49er Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Each lab has its own range so I think it depends. Do you have the ranges for your labwork?
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Just got my results this morning. My TSH is through the roof! It shot back up to 9.8!! That's higher than it was when I first went in to get tested. Here's all my results

TSH; 9.8 (normal .35-5.0)
    Free T4:.9 (normal .8-1.5)
    Free T3: 2.6 (normal 2.2-4.0)

Weird that it shot up that high. Does anyone know why that would happen?
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your undermedicated. You dont have high t4 so there isnt enough to convert to t3. It may not necessirily mean you have a conversiom issue. Ask yor gp to up your dose of levo x
  • abenardini
    abenardini Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have you made any major changes lately? ..change in medication brand, gain weight, change physical routine? That is usually what would cause me to be under medicated. Poor thing! No wonder you feel bad, I have experienced those levels before..NO FUN!! I sure hope your doc increases your medication right away. I agree with it not being a conversion..you don't have enough t4 to even tell. Hope you get that fixed and you start to feel better soon.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options

Might also be a good idea to test your reverse T3 to see if there is a conversion problem as mentioned above.
  • Syriene
    Options
    Oops. Sorry, missed the post where you had retested. Hope your doc can get this figured out soon for you and that you feel better. A TSH of 9 cannot be fun.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've had my tsh shoot up to pre medication levels before.. I attribute it to sweet potatoes. I had recently discovered them and ate one practically EVERY DAY for a month. By the end of that month, I was feeling like complete crap and went in for blood work. It was after doing some research that I learned that certain foods are bad for thyroid function. A lot of healthy foods are on that list. I now try to limit these foods to a couple times a week. Have you changed up your diet recently?
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I was trying the Paleo diet during the time my numbers were great, but I find it very hard to stick to. That could play a part.
  • Syriene
    Options
    I was trying the Paleo diet during the time my numbers were great, but I find it very hard to stick to. That could play a part.

I'm currently on that diet as well and I find it does wonders for my situation, but it can be very restrictive. The doc said since I don't have Hashimotos, a little cheat now and then is ok. I think that's what helps me to follow the diet. If you find that it's helping you, just follow it as much as you can. Some limiting has got to be better than none.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I'm currently on that diet as well and I find it does wonders for my situation, but it can be very restrictive. The doc said since I don't have Hashimotos, a little cheat now and then is ok. I think that's what helps me to follow the diet. If you find that it's helping you, just follow it as much as you can. Some limiting has got to be better than none.

I said this in another post, but I've been eating a plant-based vegan diet for 10 days now, and I swear the weight is FLYING off. I've never had this much success. I'm eating the same number of calories, but no animal products, no white flour, and no sugar. I don't know much about paleo, but I *think* this is much like it, minus the meat and eggs. I also feel AWESOME. Just some thoughts if you're looking to experiment with a new diet.....