Getting ABS!

Options
Annaruthus
Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
So like the description of this group says, ABS are made in the kitchen! Once you clean up your diet, your abs should stop being shy! That being said, it will take a ton of work and dedication on your part. Some immediate abs rules I can think of:

1. Drink water! Water is what keeps your body going. It is involved in almost every body function, including fat catabolism. Want to lost fat? Then drink at least your 8 glasses, although I would recommend more if you can manage it.

2. Keep your carbs in check! I do not advocate low carb diets over a long period of time. Your body does need them! However if you are my size (5'3" 116 lbs) and regularly go over 200 grams of carbs a day, and you are NOT training for a marathon, that is PROBABLY (note I used the word probably; everyone is different, I acknowledge this) way too much. I love a plate of pasta like the next person, but if you consistently go over portion size in carbs, even complex ones, they are apt to be stored as body fat.

3. Sodium needs to be in normal range. Sodium encourages water retention around your midsection and thigh area. If you maintain high levels of sodium, then you are more likely to retain water weight, which will hide your abs.

4. Research your ab superfoods. Foods high in protein and/or fiber, like oatmeal are your tools in the ab fight. The protein and fiber keep your hunger in check. Also carbs like sweet potatos and squash allow you to eat larger amounts of them, which satifies your urge to feel full, but they are high fiber and low carb. Great dinner foods.

** Please add your own Ab Rules to this thread. Thought it would be nice to get a tips thread going.

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    consistancy - figure out a workout and stick to it :) ...
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So like the description of this group says, ABS are made in the kitchen! Once you clean up your diet, your abs should stop being shy! That being said, it will take a ton of work and dedication on your part. Some immediate abs rules I can think of:

1. Drink water! Water is what keeps your body going. It is involved in almost every body function, including fat catabolism. Want to lost fat? Then drink at least your 8 glasses, although I would recommend more if you can manage it.

2. Keep your carbs in check! I do not advocate low carb diets over a long period of time. Your body does need them! However if you are my size (5'3" 116 lbs) and regularly go over 200 grams of carbs a day, and you are NOT training for a marathon, that is PROBABLY (note I used the word probably; everyone is different, I acknowledge this) way too much. I love a plate of pasta like the next person, but if you consistently go over portion size in carbs, even complex ones, they are apt to be stored as body fat.

3. Sodium needs to be in normal range. Sodium encourages water retention around your midsection and thigh area. If you maintain high levels of sodium, then you are more likely to retain water weight, which will hide your abs.

4. Research your ab superfoods. Foods high in protein and/or fiber, like oatmeal are your tools in the ab fight. The protein and fiber keep your hunger in check. Also carbs like sweet potatos and squash allow you to eat larger amounts of them, which satifies your urge to feel full, but they are high fiber and low carb. Great dinner foods.

** Please add your own Ab Rules to this thread. Thought it would be nice to get a tips thread going.

That's a great idea, anna!! There are defo a few rules and things to consider, if you want abs!

My good advice for now:
    Do not only rely on oldfashioned endurance cardio.... you'll get results much faster if you do HIIT several times a week. It kills fat far more effectively, especially when it incorporates lifting heavy (your own body weight for example). You can do HIIT when running (sprint intervals), biking or whatever cardio you prefer.

I myself can't wait to get back on it!!
  • Annaruthus
    Options
    If you love HIIT, then you should try Tabata workouts. Totally kicked my butt the first time I did it!
    That's a great idea, anna!! There are defo a few rules and things to consider, if you want abs!

My good advice for now:
    Do not only rely on oldfashioned endurance cardio.... you'll get results much faster if you do HIIT several times a week. It kills fat far more effectively, especially when it incorporates lifting heavy (your own body weight for example). You can do HIIT when running (sprint intervals), biking or whatever cardio you prefer.

• Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you love HIIT, then you should try Tabata workouts. Totally kicked my butt the first time I did it!

My good advice for now:

Well, I usually do bodyrock-workouts or the ones by sixpackfactory. Is nearly the same and a lot of fun, as things get changed up a lot (and you do not have to think about putting new routines together)!
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    Testing my photo posting capabilities - i know how, i just don't want to start a NEW acct somewhere, just to host my pictures for sparatic posting... hoping sharing my instagram pic info will work....

YxpPazoxqb.jpg

bah! NOPE lol - be back soon...
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this but am really struggling to find a workout which isnt just sit ups and planks....
  • karrielynn80
    Options

I totally agree with this but am really struggling to find a workout which isnt just sit ups and planks....

leg raises, toes / knees to top, v ups, scissors, side pulls, c curls...
  • Annaruthus
    Options

leg raises, toes / knees to top, v ups, scissors, side pulls, c curls...

Cable/dumbbell/medicine ball woodchoppers, and I love Dragon Flags! Oh Russian twists are another good one.