Pre and Post lifting snacks/meals?

Options
What are you snacking on before and after your lift sessions? I have been doing 1/2 cup of mixed nuts and a banana 30-60 mins before working out (35 mins on elliptical) and a banana and a protein shake (if I did squats and push ups) after. I'm not to sure I should continue to do the same now that I'm making a real effort towards lifting. I started eating the bananas because ever since I started to consistently use the elliptical (35 minutes each week day) my muscles felt like there were always burning, not the sore feeling like when you lift weights. They literally felt like they were burning and bananas seemed to alleviate that.

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs 30 minutes before my workout and protein within 25 minutes of finishing my workout.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    I work-out fully fasted....meaning, I haven't eaten for ~13 or ~14 hours by the time I do my strength-work-outs.

I ingest 24 oz. of water with 1.5 scoops of 100% whey protein powder (225 cals, 41g of protein) once I'm done my work-out.

That's it for me!
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hey America! I workout evenings about 45-minutes to an hour after dinner. I do a 10 minute elliptical warm up then about 45 min-1hour lifting. I have a protein shake after: banana, almond milk, chia seed, greek yogurt, peanut butter, chocolate protein powder. I was having shin troubles myself with my walking and found stretching them out before and after really helped. I get on the floor sitting on my legs and lean back towards my feet so my shins stretch out. My pain has been gone since I started this.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    hi there.
    I work out 6 days a week, of which 3 days are doubles. I do weights in the morning with sprints and then at lunch time i do a 40 min run. I can't eat lots before my workouts. It makes me feel heavy and uncomfortable.

In the mornings I eat half a banana, cup of coffee with soy silk cream and drink water or a pre-workout drink while working out. When i get to work after my workout, I eat three egg whites and a protein shake with fruit & water for breakfast. A protein bar as a snack at 10ish then go do my run. After the run, about 20 mins later I finally get hungry and eat lunch (consisting usually of chicken or tuna with lots of veggies and a carb like quinoa. An afternoon snack of a yogurt or apple w/ pb. Dinner is typically a salad.

I take a CLA, Multivitamin and thermagenix before each workout.

hope that helps.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i have some carbs an hour before i lift- sweet potatoes or rice cakes and some peanut butter or almond butter. protein shake or egg whites after. if i do cardio only - i won't eat before.
  • InstructorLeake
    Options
    I typically do not eat before my workout...I do however snack on BCAA's during my training.
  • Nikita839
    Nikita839 Posts: 10
    Options
    Since I usually workout after breakfast, I have egg whites and oatmeal with Almonds. Post workout I have a few rice cakes (fast acting carb) and a Protein shake.. :happy:
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    About an hour before working out, I have a small banana and a 4oz Greek Yogurt, typically honey vanilla. The protein helps fuel my workout, the carbs and sugar give me energy. Post workout, I make a smoothie with 1/2 cup of skim milk, 1/2 cup of whatever no-added-sugar juice I have on hand, a 1/2 cup of the frozen fruit of the week, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Add a dash of cinnamon some bonus antioxidants! Delicious!
  • Chicrider
    Chicrider Posts: 17
    Options
    I do morning fasted cardio and in the evening when i go to lift weights i have usually had some protien(chicken, beef, & carbs, plus a veg.) thats about 3 hours prior though I don't like to have too much food in my stomach because it makes me not have a good workout,needs to digest a bit.