I believe introductions are in order...

Options
Hi all!
My name is Teresa and I'm just starting my journey. I joined 4 months ago but I'm just now getting down to business. Being a teacher, I have a tendency to put things off until summer. Realistically, I need to lose 150 pounds. I've lost a lot of weight before but it snuck back and brought its buddies along. I did lose it probably too fast before so this time, I'm going to take it slow and work toward a lifestyle change. Looking for encouragement and support from others in the same boat. It is tough to do alone so searching for a buddy (buddies).

Replies

• tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I figured seeing as I haven't done an introduction here yet, I'd continue your thread.

My name's Laura. I've used mfp ages ago, but rejoined about 3 weeks ago as I felt now was the time to start focusing on myself and my future health before I start seeing many of the problems that plague my extended family.

I work as a live in caregiver to an elderly gentleman and that tends to give me the excuse to sit around for a large part of the day. I'm trying to become more active and recently joined a gym and have been going each day monday-friday since joining and then doing my own thing exercise wise on weekends.

My starting weight was 322. I'm currently bouncing around 307 and working to loose those last few pounds to meet my first goal of loosing 5% of my start weight. I'm trying to loose one more pant size before I see my boyfriend in July and always look forward to words of encouragement. My current goal is to get down to about 175 and then reevaluate from there as to my final weight.

My journal's open to friends and I look forward to getting to know everyone
  • theamazinjonesy
    theamazinjonesy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Courtney. I'm a 30 year old woman looking for some motivation and encouragement. I have been overweight my entire life and am currently the heaviest I've ever been. My body is constantly achy, I'm always tired or irritated at what my body has become. Hoping to become healthier and meet some friends in the process!
  • Wishdragons
    Wishdragons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, nice to see everyone here participating and being encouraged! As my profile states, I'm been living in a bubble most of my life and laying out by the river of denial. Although I have family and friends, I still have a tendancy to "look" the part, but in reality I'm a total mess. I've lived here so long in my head, that I feel its FINALLY time to let myself touch the sand and put my toes in the water. I don't want to be stranded on my own deserted island, i want the coconut shells and the fancy drinks with umbrellas. So I've decided as slowly as possible, no matter how much I mess up, no matter what I may tell myself, that I have to do this and start, restart, and restart again. If that is what it takes, then throw me into the ring...i'm ready to fight.
  • theamazinjonesy
    theamazinjonesy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to "looking" the part. . .I always "look" the part. . .
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am Alana, and I have been on MFP for nearly a year. I have been moderately successful, could have done better----but I am satisfied. I am over 50, making weight loss a bit more challenging.
    I am making this more of a lifestyle change, so learning new habits and finding things that work for me.

I am not perfect, and especially after a year I am not as diligent. But I keep plugging away!

Greetings and salutations to you all!
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm Joan - like my buddy Alana I have been on MFP for awhile now. Also like Alana I am older, and not as diligent as I could be. However, the weight I have lost I have kept off even with: road trip, vacation, death in the family, personal crisis.

I haven't been as active on here as I could, but now that the last crisis has past I am intending on getting back to posting more regularly.

I always welcome new friend requests - but I ask that you read my profile first. I am more interested in the quality of friends, rather than the number.. If you think I would somehow be helpful to your journey, or that you would help me on my way...friend away!
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

My name is Chuck. Ever since I stopped playing high school football (2002) my weight has slowly gone up. I started college a couple of years after I graduated and one of the things everyone talked about was the freshman 15...HA! It was more like the freshman 50! It was harder to stay active because all I really did was eat, sleep and study. Now I'm at 358. I've been on this site for a while now, and at first was really into it lost like 15 lbs, but then fell off the wagon. Now my wife and I really want to have children and at her current weight it wouldn't be healthy for her or the baby, so we are going on a journy together.
  • 1Step_1Day_At_A_Time_MrsToler
    Options
    Hello, my name is Brandie. I am 27 as of March 3th 2013 and I started this year in January at 420 pounds.

I decided I had my whole future ahead of me. I was tired of this and tired of just dreaming but all the things I wanted to do and never doing them. I am engaged to be married on 10/31/2014 and I want to look and feel my best. I want to be healthy and not take shortcuts because I want to stay healthy.

I want to have kids and be able to run around and play with them.
    I want to go backpacking across Europe and I want to run a marathon for a good cause.

I am currently in school for radiology and when I graduate I want to be able to get a job because I am so full of energy. I do not currently live off the state other than them paying for my school, but I don't ever want to live off the state. I want to work for a living, I want to get my own place and I want to be able to go out with my friends and I want to go camping and I want to go swimming and not be so shy or the recluse I have slowly become.

I want to live and experience and raise a healthy family, and then when my love and I retire, I want us to still be healthy and be able to go and travel more. To travel across the united states and to go on cruises and to just be free. I have so many thoughts and dreams and plans for our future..... but it just can;t happen at the weight either of us are at.

I am tired of being afraid of dying of a heart attack, or dying young so that I don't get to do my dreams. I am tired of the stares and looks and the whispers and always wondering who is making fun of me behind my back. I am tired of just sitting here and waiting for life to come to me. I am ready to get up and charge at life head on.

I am not currently Diabetic, I have normal blood pressure, I am actually very healthy other than my weight which has always been a bit of an amazement to doctors, but my grandparents (who are also very overweight) are diabetic, my dad who is a little over weight is diabetic and my mom had the gastric bypass when I was a teen is pre-diabetic.

Before I joined MFP I had lost some weight, now I am at 394, according to MFP I have lost 16 pounds but I have actually lost 26 pounds.

I had been working on this on and off since the beginning of the year. A little over a week ago someone I loved very much and who I was trying to encourage and help because she was very sick, very diabetic, and about 490 pounds, and who most importantly like my second mother, passed away from a heart attack. It has pushed me even more into doing this. She was so proud of the 20+ pounds I had lost, and I want to continue to make her proud and to smile down at me from where ever she is.

My new motto is one step, one day at a time.

I am happy to have joined this group and I need all the encouragement I can get. I just want to be healthy. My goal for my height is 150. I have a long way to go, and I don't want to give up. Ever.
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Carrie. I'm brand new to MFP. I guess I need some tracking and support. I put 325 in as my start weight, but honestly, I don't know. My scale only goes to 300 so my first goal is to be weighable by the nice scale I bought just a few years ago. I'm going to be frank and honest here because you've all been there I'm sure.

I've gotten to that point when its really uncomfortable to be big. Movie theater seats are way too small and sitting on the cupholder hurts. I can't go into small bathroom stalls anymore because there isn't enough room to wipe. I avoid soccer games and hockey games at stadiums now because one seat is not enough. I don't want to think about airplanes and I miss amusement park rides.

Well, I guess the point is I'm DONE!!! From now on, that number is the scale is going DOWN!!! Feel free to friend me. I could use some friends here.
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Brenda.... I am 60!! Ugh!.....I want to tell all of you to do this while you are young! The older you get the harder it is. My bones have wore out carrying around all this extra weight. My top weight at one time was 496. A few years back I dropped 150. I walked it mostly off......but now both of my knees are gone and my feet are horrible and I know it is from carrying all the extra weight all of these years. I cannot go places with my children because I cannot walk.....and it is a horrible feeling. I would love to go and do things with them. I still work but I am a switchboard operator so I sit all day long.....which makes it worse. I have missed out so much of my children's lives just because of my weight and I regret it so much. This is a battle that I fight everyday and I know I have shortened my life for being overwweight all of my life.
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi All I am Amanda am 57 and have been on MFP since last year. I have been obese since childhood and was sent to 2 fat camps when I was 12 and 13 years old. Unfortunately my parents didn't attend fat camp with me so the meals were the same when I came back and was obese again the following year. I will not go into my whole life story as I do have a blog. But I once weighed 497 pounds. In 2005 I lost about 180 pounds and over the years I managed to keep about 130 of those pounds off. Started last year to try and lost weight again but only lasted about 3 months and lost 20 pounds. This year I started again, started at a gym in February and got a Trike in April, Have only lost about another 20 pounds since January but I will not give up this year. I need several surgeries and have got to get down to 250, I have no family and sure could use lots of support, Let's support each other and make this a good healthier year for all of us.
  • MustangSallyVA
    MustangSallyVA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am looking for a weight loss buddy. I have always been overweight and have had some succesfull losses of up to 50 lbs, but have gained most of it back. I am looking for someone that like me, also has a lot to loose.

I am focusing on smaller chunks at a time and have not even chosen a final goal at this point. I am really wanting to focus on getting healthier to be a better me, mom, and wife.

I do work outside of the home full time, and with a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old, I have very little time to focus on me, but I am just going to have to make it work.

Let me know if you are also looking for a buddy.
    Sally
  • TheRainIsGone
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Beth, I'm a middle-aged married lady, and have been overweight since age 3.

My top weight was at least 422, at that point I stopped weighing as my scale only went up to 440 and I feared breaking it.
    I've lost 79 pounds overall, in about a year and a half, so right now I'm 343. I'm in no great hurry, I want my skin to shrink as I go. If it starts looking too wrinkly I increase food to maintain for a bit.
    My mini goal is not as much about the scale, as getting into a small enough size to buy clothing off-the-rack instead of the internet.

I look forward to doing things smaller people take for granted, like canoeing, going to an amusement park, or just being able to walk around town or a shopping mall without having to sit down every few steps.

The excess weight prematurely aged my joints, I feel many years older than I am. BUT I am improving with every pound lost. Now I can walk through the supermarket instead of using a cart, and I'm not down for a week after.

I'm really glad to have found this forum.
    Beth