Stage 1- how sore were you?

beansNboo
beansNboo Posts: 23 Member
Hi gang. I've been weight training for some time (on and off for past several years) and recently started to tackle New Rules for Women... So far, I've been loving it. I really have. After workout B the first time, I could barely walk for days (argh, lunges). But now, just a few weeks later, I feel far less sore, despite having increased weights as appropriate (so my last rep is always a bit of grunting struggle). Nevertheless, I'm not really sore after the past few weeks. Tomorrow workout B has got another thing comin'! :wink:

My question is, should I be pushing myself more? Or am I on track? What are your experiences? I will continue with the program and hope to continue to see my (impressive... If I may say so) strength gains. Just would love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I'm not sure, but I just did my first workout and I could barely do the stairs and I'm out of commission for a few days gym-wise. If you'e grunting through your last rep, I'd say you are appropriately challenging your muscles from what I understand.
  • jkbear40
    jkbear40 Posts: 37 Member
    I am halfway through stage 1. I was very sore in the beginning. Now it's not that bad even though I am pushing myself through each workout. I feel it more in my shoulders and back side.
    I do struggle for the last rep on some of the exercises so I am hoping that I am doing them right. I increase my weights by 5 each work out.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    I just started workout A (day one) on Tues, and OMG tonight I'm suppose to do lunges??? The fronts of my thighs are killer sore!! I don't know if I can do it... ? Someone said that once you get in there and warm up that it's possible, but I struggle to walk up an incline right now. should I wait another day?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I just started workout A (day one) on Tues, and OMG tonight I'm suppose to do lunges??? The fronts of my thighs are killer sore!! I don't know if I can do it... ? Someone said that once you get in there and warm up that it's possible, but I struggle to walk up an incline right now. should I wait another day?

I would (and did) I could barely walk upstairs to go to bed, much less go back for more punishment lol
  • abenardini
    abenardini Posts: 43 Member
    I'm at the end of Stage 1 and I am very rarely sore. Right before I started the program, I was taking BodyPump and I couldn't walk up stairs, sit down on ANYTHING..it was crazy but since I started NROL4W I have been barely sore just a few days. I was wondering if I was pushing myself too but my weights are increasing. I have heard that soreness is NOT necessarily a sign of a good workout but I think when we are sore it makes us feel more accomplished or at least we are reminded of our hard work the day(s) before.
  • Notsocrafty
    Notsocrafty Posts: 5 Member
    This sounds like me - I did the workout A for the first time on Tuesday, and had to walk down some stairs immediately after. It was a challenge, my legs were so wobbly! Yesterday my quads absolutely killed, today it's not as bad but still definitely sore. I'm not going to do workout B until tomorrow.

I think the first time with any new strength training thing will always be the worst, but subsequent workouts should be better.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    i was very sore the first few times, i made sure to give myself time to rest and recuperate before diving into the next workout. i'm about 2/3 of the way through with stage 1 and i am a lot less sore. i still feel it, but definitely not as much. it feels good!
  • beansNboo
    Awesome. That's good to hear. I definitely have been increasing weights and pushing myself, so I don't think it's a matter of not making progress. It's good to know that other people are having similar experiences in Stage 1.

That said, I just increased weights on my lunges today and then wobbled home. If I'm not sore tomorrow, then I'm pretty much superwoman at this point
  • beansNboo

You may feel better by tonight. I did a lot of stretching the day of my workouts and then on the days that followed. It helps to loosen you up. If you're still that sore tonight, I'd wait another day... :)
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    I had done a couple of weeks of so of milder strength training before I started, so I skipped Workout 1 and 2 and began with 3. I didn't find myself very sore - but oddly, my hand and knuckles feel tender - I wonder if it is because I started with 10 pound dumbells - or perhaps I am gripping them too tightly? I too wonder if my lack of soreness means I need to up my weights, but I don't think I could go heavier what I am doing just now.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    I was sore yesterday, but not so sore I couldn't move/walk, but I could definitely tell I did work the day before! Now tomorrow I think will be a different story..........1 word........LUNGES! :sad:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Just wait until you start Stage 2.

DOMS are generally worse at the beginning of every Stage, and eventually your body acclimates to the exercises. That's one of the big benefits of doing a Stage-based program. Just when your muscles get good at an exercise, you change the exercises.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Ditto what MyOwnSunshine said.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Barely sore but I was working out every day prior to starting this program. Now I'm on stage 2 and just did my first A workout and my triceps are crazy sore today and I can feel some soreness in the other muscles I worked.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    I was VERY sore after the 1st few workouts, but the body adjusts. After you go on to the next phases and do new exercises, the same thing will happen. (I say this because this is the 2nd time I'm doing NROL.)

Just make sure your last reps are requiring all your last strength and you're doing it right.
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    I just did Stage 1 Workout A for the first time yesterday, I can say I feel it in my shoulders more than my legs...but I am usually more sore 2 days after a workout! Sounds like Workout B is gonna be interesting...can't wait till tomorrow! :P:bigsmile:
  • mrs_mab
    OK, I am really feeling waxed/sore from workout #2 on Wednesday, and probably still a bit from Monday so it's compounded now! lol! And since I just started the program on Monday, I am not doing any cardio/HIIT sessions on my rest days yet, I will eventually incorporate some short 20-30 min sessions on rest days from lifting, but I want to get on into the program a bit first.

So my question is, if I am this sore is it ok to go ahead and do workout #3 today IF I can manage it? I want to be sure I am giving my muscles the time they need to recover & adapt, and give each workout my full potential, but I am worried that if I am this sore I will not be able to push the weight I want, however I DO NOT want to miss a workout either!

Advice? :huh:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Yes. Work out whether or not you have DOMS. Muscle soreness is not a reason to skip a workout, and lifting when you're sore actually helps the soreness.
  • mrs_mab
    That was my though also, but wanted some feedback from the gang! Thanks! I am def going to push through, I think with a good warm-up, i'll feel fine, and I HATE missing my workouts!
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    Yes. Work out whether or not you have DOMS. Muscle soreness is not a reason to skip a workout, and lifting when you're sore actually helps the soreness.

I'm hoping this is true as I will be doing my second stage 1 workout tonight! :D