Long 1 day Hike.

Options
I have lost 61 lbs so far so I don't want to mess that up.
I have been training for a 14 mile Hike in one day, round trip, 3k ft elevation gain. Planning on doing this in 16 days from now. My question, and thoughts. I was planning on slowing down to rest over the next 2 weeks is that too soon? Also I am planning to carbo load the day before the hike. Thoughts please?

Replies

• kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I hike a lot. Typically 4 to 5 times a week mostly 7 miles and up to 12. I wouldn't rest until a couple of days before the hike. The longest day hike I've done is Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon which is 24 miles. I wouldn't say I ever carbo load, but I do make sure I have enough snacks for the trip.
  • tn_bigfoot
    tn_bigfoot Posts: 14
    Options
    Because of Back issues I rest 2 to 3 days between my weekly 4.5 to 6 mile hikes 2 to 3 times a week with 15 lb pack. Also When I hike I am doing it for the exercise so I tend to push myself as hard as I can go for long distance. I thought this might be added details. I am figuring that this hike from all my research will take me 7 to 9 hours, and that I will be burning close to 5 to 6K in calories, that is why I was thinking of carbo loading the day before. There is no way I will eat 7 to 8k in calories in one day.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I probably wasn't very clear. My hikes are 7 to 12 miles each time I hike. This week did a shorter one in Sedona, 5 miles, but we started at 5000 ft elevation. Yesterday's hike was 6.3 miles with 2500 feet elevation gain, here in the McDowells. I'm training for the Tour de Mont Blanc in Europe in August. It's 105 miles, but we will only do about 10 per day. Last fall I trekked in Nepal, to Everest Base Camp and over 3 passes. The distances each day were not far but the altitude was high, my high point was 18,260 ft. Luckily I don't have any health problems yet, so I can hike daily most of the time without a problem.

I'll look back to see if you said, but what is the Accumulated Elevation Gain of your hike. That is what makes the most difference to my body as well as the altitude. Good luck.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I hike a lot. Typically 4 to 5 times a week mostly 7 miles and up to 12. I wouldn't rest until a couple of days before the hike. The longest day hike I've done is Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon which is 24 miles. I wouldn't say I ever carbo load, but I do make sure I have enough snacks for the trip.

Totally agree, it's amazing how quickly your body loses stamina. The week leading up to it. Do light exercises, then rest for 2 to 3 days, drink LOTS of water to hydrated & it will help cushion your joints.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    How did your long hike go? Where did you go. Inquiring minds want to know
  • tn_bigfoot
    tn_bigfoot Posts: 14
    Options
    I went to Mt. Leconte in Gatlinburg. It was a great hike, and good day. The day started with rain. So repacked my pack after using zip-lock bags to keep everything dry (before is started), put on the rain gear after getting drenched (should have kept it on when it stopped raining for 20 min before I hit the trail), and had great time. I went up on the Rainbow Falls Trail, 6.6 miles. After passing Rainbow falls the fog began to set in, by the time I reached the Lodge on Leconte a heavy fog had set in and the rain quit. After a brief rest in the Lodge Office (watching a squirrel run around to office for 20 minutes) I made my way to the cliff tops .03 Mile and back .03. While at the Lodge office before going to Cliff Tops, a Grandpa and Grandson came in and they wanted to follow me to the top, I found out on the way that they were there to say good by to the Grandsons Mother (scatter a few ashes). When we got to the top, I let them know that I was a Preacher, we had a little talk about the Memories of the boy's Mother, and I lead a prayer. All I can say it was a moving experience. When I descended the Mountain I returned by the Bull Head Trail 6.8 Miles for a total of 14 Miles. The trip down was very isolated, the fog burned off, saw some great views of the Mountain, and felt a real accomplishment at the end of the day. I celebrated at the end of the trail with a 10 year aged Cigar, and then went to a Catfish Place (Huck Fins) and ordered the Fintastic Combo (Frog Legs, Catfish, shrimp, clams, fries, white beans, Slaw, Hush Puppies). I couldn't eat it all at once, I had to take some of it back to the room. All in all a great day. Yes I know the food was a huge cheat day, but I did burn a tone of calories, and by the next week I was down 5 lbs, I wished I could figure out how to get my pics to post in this forum. It was a great walk, I wished i could have done it a little faster, (6 hours walking time, about 8 1/2 all together) but I am planning on doing it again this year.