Advice on training please from you long distancers! ;)

Options
tropic_runner
tropic_runner Posts: 31 Member
So here's the scoop: I completed a half marathon on 26 May and I am running the Honolulu Marathon on 8 Dec this year and I have an idea that I want to follow Hal Higdons marathon training plan which doesn't start me until August. SO. I have 2 months between now and full marathon training start. Here are a few things I really need to accomplish/work on: Shed another 20 lbs, work on hill training, increasing speed, keep long distance up, and strength (I have a weak back and core). Here's the dilemma, I work 5 days a week 12 hour graveyard shifts and have no time really to mess with going to a gym. I just really want a training plan that incorporates everything that will do me good and also give me results I need and make me feel like I'm doing something right. I would appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks so much!!!! Happy running!!!!

Replies

• 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm spending three months focussing on quality HIIT type workouts on week days, with a longer run and a bike on weekends. This is with the intent on me also losing around 20 pounds before the Ultramarathon training starts in August. Simply doing long slow distance over that time is boring and the HIIT helps with speed, weight loss and motivation.

Good luck !
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    slowly increasing your weekly mileage, the more miles you run the better for long distance running.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    slowly increasing your weekly mileage, the more miles you run the better for long distance running.
    This has been what I've done before my training plan started. Several experienced marathon runners recommended to just make sure every several weeks to lower your long distance run a few miles just to allow your body to rebuild and adjust itself.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm spending three months focussing on quality HIIT type workouts on week days, with a longer run and a bike on weekends. This is with the intent on me also losing around 20 pounds before the Ultramarathon training starts in August. Simply doing long slow distance over that time is boring and the HIIT helps with speed, weight loss and motivation.

Good luck !

This is a really bad idea if you plan to train and run an Ultra. HIIT is not going to build your aerobic base nearly as well (if at all) the way running easy over longer distances will. Any race distance from 800m and up requires you to build your aerobic system. If you neglect it, you will have an uphill battle.

More mile over time is the answer.
  • phooey43
    phooey43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    More mileage is definitely the key increasing your endurance. But If you are interested in getting an extra calorie burn and core work in, I read an interesting article in the nytimes a few weeks ago about a 7 minute "miracle workout" here is the address

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

Its basically a HIT circuit that you can do fairly easily with no equipment. Download a free interval timer and your set.

I've used the smartcoach training system for awhile now at runnersworld and it works great for me. It can be personalized to fit your schedule, goal, and activity level. Plus if I miss a run or two it can readjust my schedule to makeup.

Happy running!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So here's the scoop: I completed a half marathon on 26 May and I am running the Honolulu Marathon on 8 Dec this year and I have an idea that I want to follow Hal Higdons marathon training plan which doesn't start me until August. SO. I have 2 months between now and full marathon training start. Here are a few things I really need to accomplish/work on: Shed another 20 lbs, work on hill training, increasing speed, keep long distance up, and strength (I have a weak back and core). Here's the dilemma, I work 5 days a week 12 hour graveyard shifts and have no time really to mess with going to a gym. I just really want a training plan that incorporates everything that will do me good and also give me results I need and make me feel like I'm doing something right. I would appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks so much!!!! Happy running!!!!

Losing the extra 20 pounds will get you 40 seconds per mile. Yup, it's 2 seconds per mile per pound so by losing that weight you will drop over 17 minutes off your marathon time.

Insofar as how to train, I'd go for adding miles. I've got a Half in late August. I started training in February but my training plan didn't start 'til a few weeks ago. In the interim, I ran a lot of easy miles. The reason is simple - the more miles you have running at an an easy pace, the more endurance you build up, and, if you build up gradually, the easier it is to run the long runs that you'll need to prep for the marathon.

Strength - build up your hip and lower back muscles and you might find that your injury rate drops. There are tons of exercises available for runners and runnersworld.com have lots of videos that make it easy. I've incorporated a few of the exercises into my stretching routine (I stretch twice daily) - http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/glute-strength.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    the more miles you have running at an an easy pace, the more endurance you build up,
    and, if you build up gradually, the easier it is to run the long runs that you'll need to prep for the marathon.

This beginner is glad to read this :-)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have 2 months between now and full marathon training start. Here are a few things I really need to accomplish/work on: Shed another 20 lbs, work on hill training, increasing speed, keep long distance up, and strength (I have a weak back and core).

I think you definitely have your priorities in the right order here. I would recommend running two days a week, getting a long run in on Saturday and using Sunday as a rest day. The other three days of the week do some sort of cross-training to help build strength and get rid of those extra 20lbs. When I was short on time in the mornings before having to get to work I would do fitness DVDs in my living room; Jillian's 30DS was ok but to short, P90X Core Synergistics was great but you need some room for some of the exercises.
    Make sure you are keeping your running miles up, you don't want to start re-building from scratch come August.
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out the OP's dilemma: working 12-hour graveyard shifts 5 days/week. 12 hr work + 7 hrs sleep = 19 hrs. Add to that 30 mins to get to/from work, that roughly leaves the OP 4 hours/day to do all her personal business and train.

I work the 3rd shift too, but only 8-hour shifts. All my training is done around 6p, shortly after I wake up. I wish I had a good answer for you...
  • tropic_runner
    tropic_runner Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I really appreciate you all taking time out of your days to reply. I will figure out a good schedule with all the bits and pieces of info. you all gave me. It is really tough with the military work schedule now but nothing ever lasts forever so fingers crossed that by August or something my schedule will open up more. So the gyst of everything I got was I definately want to keep one long run in a week, and to not really work on speed until closer to my race. I will do 3 x's week strength and incorporate lunges, squats, core, arms and back for an allover increase in strength and balance! I decided not to do Insanity for risk of injury. I will cut my calorie intake for a couple of months to lose the 20, and pretty much try and keep up miles. I think I will run 3 five milers a week and one long run of 10 miles and then every 4 weeks a cut back in my long run to heal!!! :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan, now you just need to start packing a lunch so you can stay away from grill at work.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention the weight too. Sorry. I know that is hard. But, my wife just lost a bit, only 10 pounds, but it made her much faster, like half a minute per mile faster.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Great information here. Not sure if it is possible for you at work, but I use an exercise ball for my chair and it is fantastic for a core work out. Good luck to you.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I work 5 12 hour night shifts too. I'm currently in marathon training 4-5 days a week. I wake up 1-2 ish and do my shorter runs and some weights. I do my long runs either my first night on or an off day where i can devote several hours without neglecting my child.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have 2 months between now and full marathon training start. Here are a few things I really need to accomplish/work on: Shed another 20 lbs, work on hill training, increasing speed, keep long distance up, and strength (I have a weak back and core).

I think you definitely have your priorities in the right order here. I would recommend running two days a week, getting a long run in on Saturday and using Sunday as a rest day. The other three days of the week do some sort of cross-training to help build strength and get rid of those extra 20lbs. When I was short on time in the mornings before having to get to work I would do fitness DVDs in my living room; Jillian's 30DS was ok but to short, P90X Core Synergistics was great but you need some room for some of the exercises.
    Make sure you are keeping your running miles up, you don't want to start re-building from scratch come August.

I needed to read this TODAY. Thanks!