Hypothyroidism and gluten

Options
Hello all,

I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease for years, and have just been using my Synthroid medication as treatment. Whenever I try to diet, or work out, it seems to take me FOREVER to lose any weight (if any). Recently, my sister, who also has the same diagnosis, heard there is a link between gluten & thyroid issues. We have been looking more into this idea and have found that going gluten-free is the way to go if we want to see any natural and real progress. I can honestly say, I haven't seen any improvements with my symptoms being on Synthroid. Although gluten free foods are a bit pricier, I am willing to try a more natural approach to "healing" my body. I can take control whereas my medication would be ruling me every day for the rest of my life. Who wants to take a pill every single day, for the rest of their lives versus changing their diet to help fight against further autoimmune diseases/health problems? I'm going to try this for a few weeks, have my levels checked, and hopefully see a significant change!

Replies

• fparkyr
    fparkyr Posts: 5
    Options
    I can't say I've seen any studies, but my entire family is Hypothyroid and my sister has Hashimoto's. We all are gluten intolerant, and as such we usually stay away from the majority of grains/legumes. Mostly the difference I noticed when truly going gluten-free (I usually eat veggies, fruits, dairy and meats without much grain involved at all) was that the weight started coming off easier but mostly I stopped being so bloated. To the point where my engagement ring is loose around my finger where it was once a little more snug than I would have liked.

I hope this helps some, at least!
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For me, taking the gluten out of my diet helped with skin issues and joint pain. It is not a replacement for taking your meds.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I know that GF has helped me feel much better. I also have to limit my starchy carbs so all the GF treats are out. I eat a lot of lean meats and veggies, nuts, legumes, the occasional sweet potato, and fruit (mostly berries). I am still in the process of getting my thyroid meds at the right dose but I feel ten times better than I did before being GF.
  • angovier
    angovier Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts everyone. Here's an update: I went to the doctor's office this past Friday and 1) I lost 20 lbs within 2 weeks of going gluten free 2) my TSH levels have increased!!!! So hopefully they will continue to do so, where I can drastically lower my med dosage. Since it's new in the game, I was not able to change my dosage yet. I will be going back in 6 weeks to have them checked again. I'm still not 100% positive whether I'll ever be able to go off meds completely, but this is a definite and real start! I will be sure to keep you all posted. :)
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you. May your results continue to be positive and may you feel fantastic from here on out.

Cutting out gluten a few years ago and then recently cutting out all grains/white carbs has helped lessen my symptoms of Hashi's. I still take levothyroxine, however.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    that is awesome
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    OP - how is it going? Do you have any more updates for us?
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Any update? I am researching if going gluten-free will help me deal with my hypothyroid symptoms.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was so happy to read this post. I have lost 10 pounds in 26 days, but seems that's as far as its going . I am taking meds and unsure how to make this GF work. Hearing you say you have lost since starting it gives me courage to go ahead and try........Life without potato and pasta,hmmm
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump ... interesting info.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a little late to the posting party (ha), BUT, 3 months ago, my fiance and I began a gluten-free, plant-based diet (vegan). I have PCOS and am hypothyroid. I have seen major weight loss (20 pounds gone now), and my hypo symptoms have virtually vanished. I'm still treated with Levoxyl/cytomel, but at lower doses. I know a "low-carb" diet is usually prescribed for PCOS, but I really can't say enough good things about the success I've had with this way of eating. Is it extreme? Maybe. But I FEEL so much better than I did before. Just my two cents. What works for some may not work for all, of course- just letting you know that it's worked for me, and I could hardly lose ANY weight before.