New to the 5% club!

Options
kcaffee1
kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
When I was diagnosed last December with T2, the doctor immediately tried to put me on Metformin. However, I had more (and worse) problems AFTER than I did before. Days of low grade headaches, unable to sleep, irritable to no end (and nicotine didn't help with the grouchies either), along with the expected side effects of starting on the meds. Because I'm a student, this was not a good situation. In the 3 weeks between filling the prescription and the start of the semester, I tried just about every combination I could think of, or my cousin-in-law who is an ER nurse could think of to help get me past the initial reaction hump. Nothing worked.

So....

Being the bullheaded, crazy fool that I am, I stopped the meds and determined to make this monster behave on my own.

Not long after, I found this group, and was introduced to a few lovely ladies here who have been extremely helpful in me getting the eating habits established that have led to today's wonderful report.

KDIPIAZZ - your encouragement has meant a TON when I wanted to sit down and bawl, or just up and quit because things weren't locking into place like I wanted them to WHEN I wanted them to.

RainyLaney - your constant attention to the little things and your unswerving purpose, along with a liberal application of the 2X4 when I needed it have kept me moving the right direction.

Thank you both, yet thanks isn't enough.

In March my A1c had come down from 7.1 to 6. something (I think 6.5, but don't have the paperwork in front of me at the moment.) And, I knew I had been set on the right track for this thing to be driven back to it's shadowed corner and I would win the fight.

Then, along with further weight loss, a massive rearrangement in my exercise schedule, and a tightening on how many carbs I would have in a day, I get the wonderful news today....

The A1c came back at 5.9! With out meds, from sheer determination to NOT have to put up with any of the horrid side effects, and the members of this group who have helped me learn how I will be able to live a long, healthy life.

I wanted to share my personal success with the group, and thanks for the information and support this group has offered, as well as give credit to the hard work the two wonderful ladies mentioned above who have made this possible.

Replies

• nvstlrgrl
    nvstlrgrl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    that is fantastic news!!! You are doing awesome and I am so happy for you.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you how thrilled I am with your continued progress! Big congratulations - keep up the hard work!
  • facilitators1334
    Options
    That's good stuff. Congrats girl
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words. I often wonder if you ever look back at that first post you put up that I gave you such a hard time on. Or even looked back at your food diary for that time frame. I remember telling you we were here to help, but you had to choose to help yourself first and get a hold of your calories (think they were in the mid to higher 4,000 if I recall right, carbs, sodium protein etc. I was so hard on you that day... ooops, but like you said, it was the 2x4 you needed and you have come such a long ways since those days (that really wern't that far back.

It is amazing you are doing this with no meds. I know I do all I can to keep off my meds and it has been quite sometime since I have had to take them.

A big gratz on a job well done :) reach around and give yourself a big super huge pat on the back, you deserve it :)
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Fantastic improvement!, your hard work and determination is very admirable and inspiring!

Congratulations on your success!:drinker:
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Tha's a great effort and a just reward for all your hard work. It's always good to hear of success stories because they not only validate the programme, if validation was needed, but they act as an ecouragement to all our MFP friends who are still on the journey to fitness and health. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    What great news and thank you for sharing! I know what you mean about the support of others here. It helps tremendously to hear how others are managing their diabetes...yourself included! So continued success with that number and I know it made your day!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!!! You have worked hard.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Happy for you! It is good to know that you have found a support group that is working for you! Keep up the great work!!! You're worth it!

Nancy
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the club. It's not exclusive but you have to earn your way in. Well done.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that's truly fantastic news! I remember your first post, and even Rainy's (in particular) first responses. I remember wondering if she was "too harsh" but knowing her directness took guts, and I have enjoyed reading all of your updates and posts since. I don't know that I would have been as admirably responsive and open. I admire your determination, your openness... your courage to be vulnerable to accept real help and support to make real change.

I really admire you. You have immense courage and determination. Welcome to the 5% Club!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It is said that confession is good for the soul, so here goes. I went to my GP today for my A1c results and was disappointed but not suprised that my results have not maintained therecent trend for steady improvement. Comparing these results with the last test showed that the only improvement was in my blood pressure. Latest results with the last set for comparison :- A1c 5.7 (5.4); blood pressure 122/64 (142/80); Total Chol 5 (4.5); LDL 2.8 (2.3); HDL 1.9 (1.6); Triglycerides .56 (1.35); Chol/HDL ratio 2.63 (2.81). While some of these results are within target there is definite room for improvement. I'll have to find another method of keeping alert during my overnights other than sucking on sweets. Setbacks, even minor ones, are an incentive to do better.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It is said that confession is good for the soul, so here goes. I went to my GP today for my A1c results and was disappointed but not suprised that my results have not maintained therecent trend for steady improvement. Comparing these results with the last test showed that the only improvement was in my blood pressure. Latest results with the last set for comparison :- A1c 5.7 (5.4); blood pressure 122/64 (142/80); Total Chol 5 (4.5); LDL 2.8 (2.3); HDL 1.9 (1.6); Triglycerides .56 (1.35); Chol/HDL ratio 2.63 (2.81). While some of these results are within target there is definite room for improvement. I'll have to find another method of keeping alert during my overnights other than sucking on sweets. Setbacks, even minor ones, are an incentive to do better.

Robert, Sorry to hear that your latest results weren't at the same level as your previous ones. I know I can identify with that because when I get a better report I tend to relax a bit, therefore easing up on what I should be doing. But you have the right attitude that will get you back to those other numbers...using it as an incentive to do better, as you said. And you're a brave soul to put it out there so it might help others keep on track. We know you can do it...good luck.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Robert. I ditto Retiree. I also went back up after some good results, and the going up did motivate me to bring them right back down. You've got the right thinking, it's incentive, and you know your soft spot. No doubt you'll be fine. And the good news... it is minor, and early. Good luck, and let us know how we can support you!