What’s your favorite marathon training schedule or routine?

Options
chriscm70
chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
I plan to start training for my first full marathon soon and I’m wondering what programs others have followed and had success with, and what might be most appropriate for me.

I’m 42 (well 43 in a few days) and started running about a year ago. My first race was a 5 miler back in Sept, which I finished in about an hour. I was just happy to be able to run that far and finish a “real” race.

I’ve done only 8 races total now, but that includes a half marathon in April (finished in 2:08). My best 5k time so far is 24:19.

I had some trouble with shin splints while training for the half (I overdid it for where I was at back then) and had to take a couple of weeks off in the middle of the schedule. At that time I was loosely following Hal Higdon’s Novice 1 program. I say loosely because I think what got me into trouble was exceeding the mileage in the early weeks.

For lack of a better idea I was going to follow Higdon Novice 1 for the full, being careful not to exceed the mileage this time.
The marathon I’m shooting for is about 18 weeks away.
At this point my legs feel pretty good, and a 9:00 mile is pretty comfortable to sustain during 3-6 mile runs. At that pace my heart rate usually sits in the low 140’s, if that helps. During my last 5k race my HR was in the high 150’s for most of it (just to get down to a 7:50 pace), and I was huffing and puffing pretty hard the whole time to get there. (I’m interested in heart rate based training also if any of you favor that approach or have followed a plan based on that.)

What plans have you followed and had good luck with? What do you think might be best for me based on where I am now?

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer.
Chris

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I used the Higdon Novice 1 plan for my first marathon and made it through ok. For the shin splints, you may want to get yourself checked out for shoes.
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey Chris! The question I have is, are you looking to complete the full under a certain time -or- just looking to finish? Or somewhere in-between?
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I look at Hal Higdon's plans & Runner's World plans, then I make up my own. Three weeks before the marathon, I like a 22 miler for psychological reasons. The six weeks before that, I do three 18 milers & three 20 milers. I do a mid week tempo run of 10-12 miles. I do one day of speed work. One day of recovery run. I top out about 55 miles a week.
    I don't do heart rate based running. I don't know anything about it. I just do what feels good for me, I guess. I work, as I'm sure most of us do. So, I have to fit it where I can.
  • denny_menter
    denny_menter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've used Higdon Novice 1 and 2. They both work just fine. It depends on your preference.

Advice (take it or leave it): You sound like you're about where I was 2 years ago (2:08 half) before my first marathon. Don't put any great pressure on yourself for the marathon. For the first one, just finish. That's a hell of an accomplishment.. Work on your time later if you want. I'm about to run my 5th and still, my goal first and foremost is to finish. I like it when I can shave some off my PR, but that finish line feels good no matter what!

Good luck.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first full two weekends ago. I followed Hal Higdon's Novice 2 program and I was pretty strict about sticking to the distances he recommended along the way. I couldn't always do my runs on the prescribed days, but my weeks always totaled up correctly (if that makes sense).

The longest you run pre-race is 20 miles if you follow that plan. I actually felt pretty good on my 20-miler and didn't suffer much aftermath as far as soreness, fatigue, etc. When it came to doing 26.2 - well, that was another story! That extra 6.2 really did make a difference on race day for me, BUT, I never doubted that I would finish. I never actually thought to myself that I needed to stop - and that was ultimately my goal - finish a marathon and not feel terrible the entire time.

I just signed up for marathon #2 today, and honestly, the hardest part for me is clicking "submit" on the registration. I can't say that I felt 100% ready to sign up when I signed up for my first one - I really just took the plunge and dedicated myself to following the training program & I'm glad I did. It was the right time. If you're feeling like the time is now, it probably is!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I follow the Furman FIRST program to the letter...very happy with it is so far (3 training cycles so far: 2 5k and and a 10K, next up is the novice marathon program in preparation for a half marathon)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I plan to start training for my first full marathon soon and I’m wondering what programs others have followed and had success with, and what might be most appropriate for me.

I’m 42 (well 43 in a few days) and started running about a year ago. My first race was a 5 miler back in Sept, which I finished in about an hour. I was just happy to be able to run that far and finish a “real” race.

I’ve done only 8 races total now, but that includes a half marathon in April (finished in 2:08). My best 5k time so far is 24:19.

I had some trouble with shin splints while training for the half (I overdid it for where I was at back then) and had to take a couple of weeks off in the middle of the schedule. At that time I was loosely following Hal Higdon’s Novice 1 program. I say loosely because I think what got me into trouble was exceeding the mileage in the early weeks.

For lack of a better idea I was going to follow Higdon Novice 1 for the full, being careful not to exceed the mileage this time.
    The marathon I’m shooting for is about 18 weeks away.
    At this point my legs feel pretty good, and a 9:00 mile is pretty comfortable to sustain during 3-6 mile runs. At that pace my heart rate usually sits in the low 140’s, if that helps. During my last 5k race my HR was in the high 150’s for most of it (just to get down to a 7:50 pace), and I was huffing and puffing pretty hard the whole time to get there. (I’m interested in heart rate based training also if any of you favor that approach or have followed a plan based on that.)

What plans have you followed and had good luck with? What do you think might be best for me based on where I am now?

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer.
    Chris

I'm using a Runner's World training plan for a Half in August. After that, I'm going to try a training plan from mcmillanrunning.com

A few weeks ago, I attended a running McMillan running camp. I enjoyed the time at the camp, learned more about running and also got a chance to meet the entire staff and work with Greg and "Lemon" (Andrew Lemoncello is the real name - try that name in Google). Based on my visit there, I'm going to use a McMillan.com training plan for my Feb 14 Half (want to drop 13 minutes from my Half between August and February).

I'm not saying that's "the answer" you might want to check it out.
  • chriscm70
    chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it. It gives me a couple of things to think about and look at.
    My goal is just to finish of course... under 4.5 hours would be amazing though and what I'm hoping to be able to do, but we'll see how training goes though and how I feel on and after my long runs.
    Thanks again!
    Chris
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For heart rate training I do google
    Maffetone 180 formula
    It will come up :-)
    There's a book called "Slow Burn" by Mittleman
    And then there's the
    MARCO pace calculator for HR on race-day
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    For heart rate training I do google
    Maffetone 180 formula
    It will come up :-)
    There's a book called "Slow Burn" by Mittleman
    And then there's the
    MARCO pace calculator for HR on race-day
    interesting, Liz. Do you use this? Sounds logical and straight-forward.