Calories at 28% body fat

Options
runzalot81
runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
I'm 5'6" and 132 lbs.

Do I need to eat at a deficit, maintenance or over? Just started NRW4W last week.

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Your weight is in a good range for your height. Since you have just started, you need to determine what "goals" you have....if your goal is straight-up strength gains, I think you can eat at maintenance.

However, if you want to lose body fat, you will need to eat in a deficit.
  • runzalot81
    Options
    I want both LOL
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would eat at maintenance for the first eight workouts and see how it goes. You can always adjust your intake.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would eat at maintenance for the first eight workouts and see how it goes. You can always adjust your intake.

yeah, i ate at maintenance for the first month. i gained about 4-5 pounds but all my clothes were fitting normally, and i'm now about 2/3 of the way through stage 1. i've made some adjustments in my caloric intake in the last week and i've already seen my weight go down a pound or two. it was also my TOM so that might have to do with it. i plan to stay with a deficit and lifting heavier as i am able! i did do some measurements yesterday just out of curiosity and i believe i've lost about .5" in my waist and hips. or maybe i just pulled the measuring tape tighter :embarassed: - BUT i do feel much stronger and i've had a lot of compliments from people on how good i am looking. talk about motivation to keep going!

remember that you're in this for the long haul. if you try something, give it a good while and if it's not working, do some research and make an adjustment. you'll find your sweet spot eventually and hopefully see some great results!
  • blacknivory
    blacknivory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 132 lbs.

Do I need to eat at a deficit, maintenance or over? Just started NRW4W last week.

Hi, I'm toward the end of Stage 4.
    I'm a bit heavier and taller than you with 26% body fat. I weigh myself every week but I'm caring about the stats less and less. I feel great, have more energy and I'm confident that if I continue with the strength training I'll go down the last few kilos that I'd like to. But I don't believe in diets and would rather focus on good food (and red wine) than trying to restrict anything. My main goal is to get the body fat down to the low twenties.

Because I needed to build muscle so much (and will continue to do) I am most conscious of almost over-eating to make sure I am fully nourished and having plenty of protein. I've never been able to train before and I think the problem was I wasn't eating enough so would quickly fatigue and go back to walking or other low intensity activity.

The one thing I don't do is under-eat and yet I haven't put on any weight and probably lost a couple of kilos since I started.

If you're not overweight then just eat up, eat well and enjoy the program and you might find the weight comes off without even trying (but it may happen slowly)
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Thanks, blacknivory! This is exactly what I'm doing. Eating more and making sure ~85% of it is good stuff :) Enjoy the rest, right?!