how long does it take you?

Options
Thisisnotadiet
Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
I have recently starting doing NRLFW and am now in Stage 1A for the second week. I do it twice a week. I noticed that to complete a routine it takes me more than 1 hour (almost 1.5h) if I wait the expected 60 sec between exercises. Is it normal? Am I doing smth wrong (i.e. misunderstood the number of repetition)? Did it also take you this long?

Replies

• valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I don't remember taking quite that long. I think I took about an hour for the Stage 1 workouts? :) Are you new to lifting? If so, it might be because you just need the extra time to get used to the movements. I took longer at the beginning too ~

If you're worried you're getting the reps wrong, why don't you elaborate on what exactly you're doing, then we can see?
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    30 minutes for the workouts with 2 sets each then about 45 minutes for the others.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    30 minutes for the workouts with 2 sets each then about 45 minutes for the others.

same for me, plus i do a 10 minute warmup before and if i have time, a cool down after.
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am new to lifting, yes, so it is possible it is taking me longer, but now I am in the second week, so I kind of know what I should be doing, and it is still taking me over an hour.

Here is what I did for stage 1A for example:

-2 x 15 reps of squats
    -1 x 15 reps of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of seated row
    -1 x 15 rep of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up
    -1 x 15 rep of prone jackknife
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up
    -1 x 8 rep of prone jackknife

then I start again from the squat and repeat the whole circuit for a total of 4 times, adjusting the number of repetitions as for the book.

I am a little confused. Thanks for your help.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Does this make sense:

Stage 1

Week 1
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)

Week 2
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)

Week 3
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)

Week 4
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)

Week 5
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)

Week 6
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)
  • morkiemama
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am new to lifting, yes, so it is possible it is taking me longer, but now I am in the second week, so I kind of know what I should be doing, and it is still taking me over an hour.

-2 x 15 reps of squats
    -1 x 15 reps of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up

then I start again from the squat and repeat the whole circuit for a total of 4 times, adjusting the number of repetitions as for the book.

Wait are you saying that you do 2 sets x 15 reps per set of squats FOUR times in one workout? As in, 8 sets of squats in one workout?
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Options

-2 x 15 reps of squats
    -1 x 15 reps of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up

Wait are you saying that you do 2 sets x 15 reps per set of squats FOUR times in one workout? As in, 8 sets of squats in one workout?

Uhm...yes. It sounds a lot, I know.. In fact I have to use much lower weight than I could squat, in order to sustain the high reps.
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Options
    Oh dear! I think I was doing the whole stage 1A in 1 go in one training session, and stage 1B in 1 go for the second training session!

So if I understand it correctly, is this what I have to do in the very first training session of stage 1?

-2 x 15 reps of squats
    -1 x 15 reps of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up

STOP, not to repeat it 4 times.
  • morkiemama
    Options

-2 x 15 reps of squats
    -1 x 15 reps of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up

Uhm...yes. It sounds a lot, I know.. In fact I have to use much lower weight than I could squat, in order to sustain the high reps.

That is your problem. :)

This program focuses on lifting HEAVY for less reps. You poor thing! I would be exhausted lol.
  • morkiemama
    Options
    Oh dear! I think I was doing the whole stage 1A in 1 go in one training session, and stage 1B in 1 go for the second training session!

So if I understand it correctly, is this what I have to do in the very first training session of stage 1?

-2 x 15 reps of squats
    -1 x 15 reps of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of push up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up
    -1 x 15 rep of step-up

STOP, not to repeat it 4 times.

Yep! You got it! <3

Edited to add: Don't feel bad about the confusion. The author has admitted to the layout of the workout charts/explanation being poor. Many people get confused! <3
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Options
    Thanks! That's why it looked to me as a Jillian Michael's DVD and not strength training at first!

I will try it out properly at the week-end! Thanks so much for your help!
  • RRRobynnn
    RRRobynnn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I found the Maggie Wang spreadsheets to be really helpful in understanding the different workouts-

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

Your next workout is going to feel like a breeze! ;)
  • morkiemama
    Options
    I found the Maggie Wang spreadsheets to be really helpful in understanding the different workouts-

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

Unless she takes up that weight like she should lol. :) However, it WILL be shorter!
  • morkiemama
    Options
    Thanks! That's why it looked to me as a Jillian Michael's DVD and not strength training at first!

I will try it out properly at the week-end! Thanks so much for your help!

No problem! Happy to help. Glad you got it all figured out. :)
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Options

Unless she takes up that weight like she should lol. :) However, it WILL be shorter!

Yep, I will! ;)
    I will feel like a better workout, more like what I thought it should be.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    same here
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Day 1, workout 1 in the books for me! Took me about 30 mins, I am pretty sure I did it right, but it didn't seem like enough....
    but I was sure sweating when it was over!

Workout 1

Squats 2 x 15 @ bar (45lbs) & 55lbs
    Modified Push-Ups 15
    Seated Row 40lbs
    Modified Push-Ups 15
    Seated Row 55lbs
    Step-ups Right 20lbs each hand x 15
    Prone Jackknife x 8
    Step-ups Left 20lbs each hand x 15
    Prone Jackknife x 8

Oh yeah, and how do I log, just do each exercise individually under strength training?

So far my main concerns are #1 will my ankle be able to handle the squats, etc....tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of reconstructive surgery, and I still have all the hardware (pins & screws) in there. I wear a brace on it for extra support, but I still don't have total range of motion there so I am going about 1/2 to 3/4 way down, and concern #2 is making sure I am getting enough protien w/o going too far over on calories............Any suggestions............:huh: