Weight Barrier

Options
Does anyone else seem to suffer from a 'weight barrier'? By that I mean a weight by no matter what you do, you simply cannot get below it. For me, it is 80kg.

I joined MFP to see precisely how many calories I consume and to limit it to 1,600 (plus any gained from exercise) as opposed to my normal 2,200. Thinking that this would help me get below 80kg and onto my target of 76kg. But I seem to be hovering around the 82.0kg mark, give or take 0.5kg.

I've been watching my weight over the last three years and have gone from over 90kg down to one point 79.8kg (for a day), but normally around 82kg.

Any advice as to how I could go about getting past this, now psychological barrier?

Cheers

PS. I walk and cycle a lot, normally at least 4 times a week and total over 150 miles most months.

Replies

• Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too - I also try and stay within my daily allowance and I work out about 4 times a week (running and Zumba) but I cannot seem to get below my current weight and I would really like to lose another stone. I am on 1240 cals per day so I cant really drop much more there.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I seem to be sat at about the same (83 KG) despite eating at a level that should see me have a slow loss. TBH I'm not that bothered but it is strange.
  • markdoutre
    markdoutre Posts: 9
    Options
    I've found I can't loose weight at 1600. I've had to drop right down to 1310 and now the weight is coming off. What has also helped is getting a Fitbit so that I can get a more accurate view of exercise related calorie usage.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Another one here hovering around same weight for months, up a bit, down a bit.

I reckon if one is within a healthy BMI range, or not too far into "overweight" range, whilst not ideal, is not something to spend sleepless nights over

Just my thoughts, no factual researched basis before any one asks
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - I've been stuck between 152 and 154 since January.

After a few weeks of umm-ing and ah-ing about it, I've decided to bite the bullet and I'll be ordering a Fitbit this evening. Hopefully it will be a useful tool to help me get my weight moving again.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've found I can't loose weight at 1600. I've had to drop right down to 1310 and now the weight is coming off. What has also helped is getting a Fitbit so that I can get a more accurate view of exercise related calorie usage.
    A Fitbit will not give you an accurate calorie burn for anything other than walking and running: even then the burn a Fitbit records can be hit and miss. If it's working for you, great, but for other cardio workouts, I'd go with a HRM

To the OP, there are a variety of posts on the main forums on what your calorie intake should be and how you should go about calculating it. It is then a matter of trial and error, giving yourself enough time on a new calorie goal to see if it's effective or not.