good paleo fiber sources?

eponine1976
eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
Most of my fiber tends to come from oatmeal and whole grains and that sort of thing so obviously if I'm going to switch to paleo I'm going to need fruit/veggie sources of fiber instead. What are some suggestions for paleo foods with lots of fiber? Or is fiber not considered important on the paleo diet?

Replies

• bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    From what I read, there isn't a need to worry about your fiber intake. Your body changes fiber into short chain fatty acids, which you will eat more of naturally on Paleo anyway, and you'll be eating a lot of veggies so you should be fine. I took it right off my diary settings!
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    I've never worried about my fiber intake. I don't know if that's good or not but I've been plaeo/primal for three years and not only have I not died from a fiber-deficiency (yet), I feel better than at any time I regularly ate grains.

That's just me and maybe things won't be so pleasant for you. Or maybe they'll be way more pleasant. Just hard tellin', not knowin'.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    For fiber, focus on veggies for the most part. But if you really want to get a lot of fiber without a lot of work, look into pure hemp protein and chia seeds.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    VEGETABLES!!! If you eat lots of vegetables then getting enough fiber will not an issue
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    My husband adds acacia fiber to his smoothies.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    VEGETABLES!!! If you eat lots of vegetables then getting enough fiber will not an issue

This. I get plenty of fiber from my plant foods!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    My guess is on paleo, I eat more fiber than I ever have. But then again I eat more veggies than most vegetarians do. But if you want specifics avocados, black berries and sweet tater skins are rich with fiber.