Parents to pay for their Children's Weddings?

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
I copied the article below and have to agree. I have three daughters. One is getting married in August. First marriage. She is 32. Has a good job. He has a good job. We are willing to help out, but we are not paying for their wedding. How do you feel about it?

"Weddings (and the institution of marriage) have almost always been wrapped in tradition, so much so that people often become upset when a couple wants to deviate from those usual wedding customs. The fact though is that many people would probably be appalled if they knew the roots of some of these traditions. Even if they are aware where these traditions come from, maybe they choose to forget it come wedding time. However, as an offbeat bride, I think it is especally important to muse on old wedding customs. At least when you tell people why you've made these decisions, you can explain the historical significance.
For example, the responsibility of a bride's parents to pay for a wedding. I've never been especially fond of this tradition, because I think in some circumstances all it does is foster an attitude of entitlement in those brides who would condemn their parents for choosing not to finance their extravagant tastes. That, or parents end up killing themselves (figuratively!) trying to earn the money for their child's wedding out of a sense of obligation, whether it's practical or not.
In the end, why?

Because hundreds of years ago, women were considered chattel and the bride's family used to have to pay off the groom's family in the form of a dowry to take their daughters off their hands. After dowries went out of style, there was still the trousseau (the bride's dress and accouterments for the wedding, in addition to stuff like cake, etc.), usually hand prepared by the bride's family. Now that we have wedding vendors to make cakes and dresses for us, the trousseau has also gone out of style for the most part, and instead the bride's family just ponies up the cash.
I don't know about you, but the idea of my parents bribing someone to marry me makes me feel kind of sick. The idea of them bankrupting themselves for one day is also kind of disheartening. I'd say it's wonderful we've moved past those times, but obviously we haven't if the expectation still stands that a couple's parents are responsible for paying for their wedding, especially the parents of the bride.
We no longer live in the times where marriage was essentially a way to ensure that women were taken care of. Love wasn't always a factor (and still isn't, in some cultures). Teenage brides weren't uncommon, because people just didn't live as long. Girls who were practically still children themselves got married and started having children right away, because culture and religion dictated it be so. The dowry and trousseau were a necessity of those times, because they ensured that a groom would have the things he needed to support his new wife and their children to come. This is no longer the case, for the most part, as most couples who get married had acquired quite a lot of crap of their own-they don't need the "starter kits" that couples used to need.
It's one thing to accept offers of financial help from family. It's another thing entirely to guilt them into it or solicit donations, or expect them to go over their own budget to satisfy your desires for the opulent.
My general feeling is that if you want to get married, you ought to be adult enough to do so without expecting your family to foot the bill. I'm not saying that it's abhorrent to allow your family to pay for your wedding — if they really want to do it, let them. What I am saying though is not all brides should expect their parents to foot the bill for your champagne tastes when you really ought to be working on a beer budget. If your dad works sixty hours a week just to pay their bills and you expect him to buy your wedding dress, maybe you need to shop at David's Bridal instead of Kleinfeld's.
It's one thing to accept offers of financial help from family. It's another thing entirely to guilt them into it or solicit donations, or expect them to go over their own budget to satisfy your desires for the opulent. If you want that crazy chocolate fondue fountain, start saving your pennies!
You aren't entitled to a fancy, extravagant wedding. You may be entitled to get married, but no one owes you a TLC fancy schmancy wedding if you can't afford to do it without exploiting your loved ones. Yeah, it's nice if your family wants to help, but it's not exactly reasonable to expect them to pay for your life choice (read: getting married).
If cost is such an issue, get thee to a courthouse and a justice of the peace, friend. Otherwise, learn to budget what you can actually afford. Sometimes, that might mean selecting an in season flower instead of the exotic orange blossoms you wanted, or getting married on a Friday night instead of a Saturday afternoon. This kind of sacrifice is really an important lesson, one that will serve you well as you enter into married life.
In the end though, if you're marrying your true love, it won't matter if you spent $1,000 or $100,000 on your wedding because either way, you're committing to the person you cherish the most and that is priceless. "

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm of the opinion that who ever (whether it's the couple getting married or the parents) want something extravagant then they need to pony up. Having gotten married a few weeks after graduating college, my husband and I had no money to our name, let alone any assets. We just barely had jobs (concidering it was litterally right before the crash or '08). Our parents helped A LOT. I paid for my dress (which was on sale and it was a designer dress, but it was within my budget), while I was content with renting the Legion Hall (we are member for the American Legion) my husband wanted a vineyard and my MIL wanted something more country club-esque... well, they paid for it... because my family could not afford it at all.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My dad is very old fashioned and is paying for our wedding. BUT, he is not going overboard. I'm not going to have my dream reception at the Purdue Union ballroom @ $40 plate,I didn't even ask. :laugh: Dad us opposed to paying for an open bar so Brian and I are going to pay for that, it's something we really wanted to do and will do ourselves. In my situation, we are buying our first house, he is still in school and working part time and we would not be able to do it alone. Especially because BOTH of our families want to be involved and both would be mad if we eloped (which we don't want to do). If parents are capable and want to, I don't see an issue.

I understand at 32 years old and both having good jobs you expect them to pick up most of it. . If we were older and more financially stable, I'm sure we would be paying for most ourselves too.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Personally, I'm of the opinion that who ever (whether it's the couple getting married or the parents) want something extravagant then they need to pony up. Having gotten married a few weeks after graduating college, my husband and I had no money to our name, let alone any assets. We just barely had jobs (concidering it was litterally right before the crash or '08). Our parents helped A LOT. I paid for my dress (which was on sale and it was a designer dress, but it was within my budget), while I was content with renting the Legion Hall (we are member for the American Legion) my husband wanted a vineyard and my MIL wanted something more country club-esque... well, they paid for it... because my family could not afford it at all.

Regardless of the cost, I believe that couples should pay for their own weddings. This isn't 200 years ago, where the girl's family had to provide a dowry to ensure that their daughters were provided for.

This is the age of Equal Rights and one of those rights is to make your own way in life. My first daughter paid for her own. Didn't have much money and budgeted accordingly. Second daughter, who is getting married in August, has planned an extravagant wedding, but has also budgeted accordingly. When my youngest decides she has met the person she wants to spend the rest of her life with, and I believe she has, they will have to budget accordingly. My wife and I will, and have, helped, but it's a gift, not an obligation.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    My dad is very old fashioned and is paying for our wedding. BUT, he is not going overboard. I'm not going to have my dream reception at the Purdue Union ballroom @ $40 plate,I didn't even ask. :laugh: Dad us opposed to paying for an open bar so Brian and I are going to pay for that, it's something we really wanted to do and will do ourselves. In my situation, we are buying our first house, he is still in school and working part time and we would not be able to do it alone. Especially because BOTH of our families want to be involved and both would be mad if we eloped (which we don't want to do). If parents are capable and want to, I don't see an issue.

I understand at 32 years old and both having good jobs you expect them to pick up most of it. . If we were older and more financially stable, I'm sure we would be paying for most ourselves too.

Don't jump me for asking, but, with all that's going on with school, work situation and purchase of a house, is it the right time to get married? Even if your Dad is footing the bill for the wedding, there are a lot more reponsibilies ahead of you and are you both at that place in your life where you can make a lifetime commitment?
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    While I get that it isn't 200 hundred years ago, I have fairly traditional parents too... and while I was more than willing to pay for things or go without... IF my MIL (or mother) wants something and she doesn't take no for an answer, then she has to pay for it... I'm not going to pay for something I can't afford just to keep up appearances. And being as I am the only girl and my husband doesn't have any sisters (which my MIL is making up for with her grand daughter) they all insisted on doing it.... these people are stubborn and don't take no for an answer. I didn't whine and beg and plead and bargain to have higher end than I could afford. No one was obligated to do anything.

We had plastic flowers instead of real ones, I used my own money for invites, dresses (including a bridesmaid dress), we got things on sale at Hobby Lobby, we of course got the church for very minimal cost (may even have been free since my MIL was a member there). My parents paid for our photographer as a gift. Otherwise I was just going to have my brother do it. That same brother was also the "DJ" (thank you macbook and iTunes) and set up the video camera.... Most everything we did we did well within my husband's and mine (that doesn't sound right grammatically but oh well) respective budgets.... the only thing that was outside of our budget and I could have done without to be honest, was the reception hall... which my MIL wanted and I let her pay for it.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    But then, I also don't view weddings as just "mine and my husband's day".... I viewed it as a celebration with our family and friends of our own individual family being created.

So it's very likely that we will help our children (note I said children as it won't matter whose wedding daughter or son) with their wedding as well.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Don't jump me for asking, but, with all that's going on with school, work situation and purchase of a house, is it the right time to get married? Even if your Dad is footing the bill for the wedding, there are a lot more reponsibilies ahead of you and are you both at that place in your life where you can make a lifetime commitment?

We will be in our house for a year before we get married. It's not like we haven't lived together and/or supported ourselves for years anyway.

A big factor is that I have a child he wants to adopt and we badly want to have another. We want to be married before having another and we won't try until after he's done with school. We have to be married 6 months before he can adopt my son. My doctor is recommending we try within the next few years as I have two conditions working against me that will make it difficult to conceive or carry to term and both are going to be harder/worse the longer we wait.

To us, now is just a good a time as any. In fact, waiting might make things more difficult for us.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    But then, I also don't view weddings as just "mine and my husband's day".... I viewed it as a celebration with our family and friends of our own individual family being created.

So it's very likely that we will help our children (note I said children as it won't matter whose wedding daughter or son) with their wedding as well.

Don't get me wrong. We helped our first two daughters and we will help the youngest too. We gave them a set amount and told them to make it work.

The first one did. The second is planning a huge event. I doubt the monies we gave her will pay for her dress. My youngest, who knows.

When my wife and I got married, I was barely making minimum wage. We had an 18 month engagement while we saved. We had the wedding and reception at my sisters' house. We did our decorations. We planned everything. I even cooked all the food myself and served.

The wedding was a definite celebration with family and friends. We've been happily married over 20 years and are now planning a 25th anniversary in Hawaii where we will renew our vows. But, now that the girls are all grown up, we will pay for the Lodging and the party, but will still expect our girls to pay their own way there. It's important to my wife and myself, but if the gals can't save the money to get there, we'll understand. I'm not saying we won't pony up the cost if there is a financial hardship in their life, but I want them there only if it is important to them as well.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The idea of them bankrupting themselves for one day is also kind of disheartening.

No parent should bankrupt themselves to pay for a wedding. However, having a daughter, we began saving for college and her wedding early. We WANT her to have an awesome wedding, and we're happy to pay for it so she and her groom do not go in to any debt over their wedding.

It's no longer seen as a "bribe". It's now a "tradition" that the parents of the bride pay for the wedding and parents of the groom pay for the rehearsal dinner. We are happy to keep this tradition in our family.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'd elope if my parents would have it.....but they wouldn't haha

The way I see it, my grandparents got married right out of highschool....actually they went across state lines and eloped before my grandfather was shipped off to the marines.
    They were married 51years till my grandma passed

Now let's look at divorce rates in this country....over 60% of marriages end in divorce

The wedding day has little to do with the actual marriage.

Now if I ever marry, I do NOT expect my parents to pay for a damn thing. I'm a grown woman and I'm a mom.
    Most likely I will have lived with my future husband so we really won't need anything because we'll already have a home.
    My ideal wedding would be a casual summer party - pig roast, volleyball, swimming, bonfire - that sort of thing
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I paid for my wedding. I find the tradition of the bride's parents paying for the wedding to be outdated.

I have 4 daughters. I will provide financial assistance but I am not footing the bill for a lavish party. I will give them they amount I am willing to contribute and anything above that they are on the hook for. In fact, I will probably suggest a courthouse wedding and use my contribution to put a down payment on a house.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Now let's look at divorce rates in this country....over 60% of marriages end in divorce

Yes. How many divorces happen before the wedding is paid off??
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I come from a non traditional family. I was raised by my father from the time I was 3. My mother wasn't really around between the ages of 7-17.

At the time that my husband and I got married, he was working part time at minimum wage and I was working as a waitress barely making $8.50 an hour. The only thing my dad paid for was the Pastor. He paid him $75 for the ceremony and that was it. I purchased my wedding dress for $90 off of craigslist, my co-worker gave me her bridal set (from her marriage that didn't work out lol) as a wedding gift, my best friend made the boutonnieres for my husband and his best man and the flowers for me and my maid of honor as a wedding gift and we bought my husband an $80 ring that he loves still. At the time, we could reserve a floor at the state capitol for free which is what we did. They provided the chairs. We bought finger foods and I made our wedding cake. My uncle made the bride and grooms cakes. Grand total, we probably spent $500 on our small gathering of 20 people or so.

I was raised to be thankful for what my dad did for me. Not entitled because he was my dad. Very rarely have I ever asked him for help with anything. Even then, it bothered me.

The next time around though...we will do a bigger vow renewal ceremony and I will have a bigger diamond put into the bridal set we recently purchased. Will I ask my dad for anything?? OF COURSE!! I will ask him to wear his Class A's. Will I get that? No, he hates those things. lol
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned it's not the ceremony that makes the marriage, and I agree. My parents gave me a choice-they would pay for my wedding, or they would foot the bill for my undergraduate degree. I chose the degree, because I saw that as a very important investment.
    Fast foward 6 years and I had met my husband and was planning a wedding. My hubby and I paid for most of it. We rented a pavilion at a local park because we both love nature. We got a justice of the peace because we aren't religious. A friend borrowed DJ equipment from a local non-profit he volunteered at. My father in law brought a grill in the back of his van. I got my dress off the clearance rack of Penney's after prom season. I used a gift card from my credit card rewards too, so it cost me a whopping ten bucks. My husband's grandmother did slip us money for the food, but with that money we had a hell of a BBQ. For our "honeymoon" we went camping at our favorite state park with our closest friends.

Anyone who knows us knows this is a perfect wedding for us. And if we had to do it again, I'd do it the same way. Nor would I ask my parents to pay. They gave me a greater gift-one of the ability to be independent.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep,, I am with you,,, do not pay for it all,
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    my parents paid for our whole wedding. it wasnt just our day. it was the moms getting a wedding. it was a day for my dad to show off his daughter. it was a party for all their friends.

my husband and i wanted to elope. my parents got married at the chapel of love in tahoe i wanted to continue the tradition. just us, the family,a few friends. simple and easy. but, the moms wanted a wedding, and my brother and his sister were never going to have a wedding. it was up to us.

we kept the budget under $10k, which seems like a lot, but its a wicked fun party. and that included everything. we got married on the uss hornet aircraft carrier, thats where almost half the budget was spent. there was a catered dinner, an open bar, and we had docents there to give tours of the ship. i think all in all, we did a great job keeping the budget with in reason. that was 5 years ago, we still get people coming up to us saying we had the best wedding they've ever been to.

i was 32 and my husband was 34 when we got married. we were not financially sound. we would never have been able to afford the wedding we had. which is why were happy with the chapel of love. i think we made the right choice. everyone had a great time, my parents were so happy, his mom was so happy. and they wouldnt have offered it if they didnt want us to have it.

i dont think anyone should do what they dont want to do. you dont want to help your daughter with her wedding, dont.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with anyone's choice. For some people, the "traditional" wedding process has meaning and some it doesn't. No one should feel obligated to write a huge check because of someone else's expectations or "rules".

You could start a more detailed discussion about how traditional gender roles shape people's perceptions of what they "want". You could also go into how businesses associated with the wedding industry spend a lot of money and creative talent to shape society's expectations of what is desirable and appropriate.

I married the first time right out of college. My wife's parents paid for most of it, but we had more of a "counterculture" outlook and made up our own ceremony and our own rules. The total cost was about $4000. My second marriage was meant to be more of an "elopement". We used the occasion as an excuse to pay for a trip to Napa Valley. Our kids were so mad as us that we had another ceremony 3 weeks later at home. Total for both: $6000 + another $3K for the rings.

For our kids, we give them a set amount. They can spend it on the wedding, take a trip, put it into savings, whatever they want.

My only personal "rule" about weddings is that--whatever you do and whatever the cost--make it something that is meaningful FOR YOU. Make it your wedding not someone else's. My biggest problem with "traditional" weddings is that, for all the expense, it always seems like everyone is just going through the motions, following an industry script for its own sake. I find them incredibly depressing.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, as others have said, it's not the couple who wants the elaborate wedding, but the parents. I know that I wanted an early afternoon ceremony with a finger food, champagne and cake, standup cocktail party like reception in the back yard to which I could invite everyone and got a traditional afternoon ceremony with a sit down dinner with limited numbers because my parents, especially my Mom just didn't see it my way. We did get the party in the back yard after dinner, though, to which lots more people came. I did not expect my parents to pay for any of it, but they wanted to. I think my in laws paid for the bar (33 years and I just can't quite remember.)

My biggest question is why so many couples seem to focus so much on the wedding and so little on the marriage. Legally, marriage changes things quite a lot and while one hopes things won't end badly, statistically there's a possibility. Perhaps rather than the type of church sponsored marriage classes some go to, a prenuptial agreement should be the norm, so both parties know what their obligations will be if the marriage breaks down, or what happens if there's a death. Depressing, I know, but perhaps sensible.