Average time to run a 5k

Options
Anybody know what an average time to run a 5 K is? Not a first time race time , just what a moderate jogger could hope to achieve? Oh, and I'm 41, female and about 35 lbs overweight. That's probably not relevant but just in case lol

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The average time for a 5K is the average time that you can do. Never judge yourself against others. Especially with your first 5Ks. Until you are an experienced runner, your only competition should be yourself.
  • ChatoGuy
    ChatoGuy Posts: 8
    Options
    5K time is absolutely entirely variable. Others have mentioned the essential point: only measure your time against yourself. Another point to remember: ENJOY IT! I well remember clocking my very first 5K at 26 minutes on the nose and then slowly getting fitter and fitter whilst lowering my time to an eventual incredible (for me) 22 minutes!
    Mind you, if you are blessed with right genetics, are fairly young and train rigorously, then you may be one of those few few who can run 5K in 17 minutes or less. World level Olympic athletes do it in 13:30ish. Hope this helps you get an idea of what wide range there is out there.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The only thing to be concerned with is if the races you plan to enter "sweep" slower runners. I'll be running at Disney, and you have to maintain a pace of 16. so that's my goal. That's very slow for some people but a challenge for me to keep up for the whole 5K. Your goal is a very personal thing.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k with a double stroller in 40:40, but I probably wouldn't have been much faster without the kids. Maybe 38 minutes?
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on the course (hilly or flat) and the weather (hot, humid or windy). I ran my first 5K distance in 41:49 on a moderately hilly route. One month later I ran 5K in 36:20 on a mostly flat route but with a really strong headwind. I have never run a true race. Although I did train and run on an actual course with the intention of racing, circumstances prevented me running on race day. So I guess I do not truly have a time that reflects what I might do on a race day. I just started C25K in late January and I weighed 220. I now weigh 192. I have run every other day almost without fail since March. My goal was just to finish 5K. Now my goal is to keep beating myself and to run farther...pointing toward 10K.

Actually weight is a factor in speed. Every extra pound you carry slows you down by about two seconds per mile. Losing 30 pounds would make you 1 minute per mile faster. Of course, running is a great way to drop weight! ;-)
  • laragc
    laragc Posts: 11
    Options
    As I spent the last several weeks telling my son - the point is finishing. We did our first 5k today and I just finished week 3. We ran/walked in 47.52 and I was THRILLED! I just wanted to be under an hour. Oh, strong headwind today too. I'd say somewhere between 36 and 42 minutes for a jog is pretty average - there were a lot of people in our race who did that pace.