Surprising results after partying...

Options
celestep2k1
celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
My hubby and I christened our new hot tub last night with a 3-hour soak. My skin is so happy! We were partying and I sipped a total of 6-8oz of tequila, neat, over the course of 5-hours. I was in Sillyville.
Right before dinner, I checked my BG. I logged a level of 150. I had been running 225-265 before/after meals, but it was lower than it's registered since all this started 2-weeks ago. Even when I fasted for nearly 18-hours for lab work, it registered 161.
Is this a typical response for any of you? Comments?

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Yes. Alcohol typically lowers blood sugars. The liver isn't a good multi-tasker and concentrates on processing the alcohol rather than releasing glucose. As such, there's a greater risk of hypoglycemia.
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    Is there a reason this a bad thing for T2 people?
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    No partying last night and my fasting bg was 213. Does the liver go into a holding pattern and just store glucose when people drink alcohol? I think not, but I'm determined to find out the answer.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You don't mention what, if any, medications you are on. .If you're on insulin, or oral diabetes medications, such as a sulfonylurea or meglitinide that stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, drinking alcohol can cause a dangerous low blood sugar because your liver has to work to remove the alcohol from your blood instead of its main job to regulate your blood sugar. Excessive alcohol and Metformin can cause lactic acidosis.

Most of the meds we take must also be filtered by the same liver so you may well be overworking it and often there are consequences to taking meds and alcohol at the same time.

While an occasional indulgence probably won't hurt (I like 2-3 low-carb beers a month), alcohol is not a very effective or reliable way to practice blood sugar control. It would be a bit like driving your car with one foot flat out on the accelerator and the other on the brake to give an even average speed. Not a wise way to drive, nor is it a wise way to manage the body.

You're much better off practicing carb control and eating to your meter in order to bring down blood glucose levels consistently.
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    I appreciate your input very much. I will be talking with the dietician that has been prescribed for me soon.

Meantime, I'm on 500mg's of metformin a day and I've got my carbs well under control. I researched alcohol with regards to diabetes and read all about the hypoglocemia/insulin, but there is little, if no, information about why alcohol and metformin are a bad thing, so long as you don't reach the point of such low blood sugar that it causes lactic acidosis. Heck, they don't even know how metformin even really works!

The best information I've keened so far is that, 'metformin keeps the liver from dumping glucose into the blood stream'. It appears to me that the metformin and the alcohol worked together, seeing such drastic changes in my BG fasting levels after my night of partying.

Thanks again for your kind and caring input. I plan to tread softly as I proceed down this road.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    From what I understand it takes a bit before you see Metformin "kick in". I know that about after a month taking 500mg once a day I did see it go down from around the 200s to the 150s. My doctor started having me take it twice a day and now I'm in the 100-140 range most of the time.
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    Very good point. I only started taking it on 18May, in conjunction with a total dietary overhaul. This is all so new and I'm not getting information other than here and the research I'm doing on the net. I appreciate knowing how long it took for your meds to kick in...Thank You!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    A look at your diary and blood sugars running in the 200's tells me that you don't have your carb intake well under control. It is imperative for your health to work towards getting your blood glucose levels down under 140 2 hours after meals to avoid diabetic complications. Eating to your meter is vital. And, if you can't get it down that low despite your best efforts you will need more than 500mg of metformin.

I strongly recommend that you do a lot of reading at the site bloodsugar101.com.
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    I'll bring this up with my primary provider, after I speak with the dietician. Thank you.