Hot Yoga/Bikram...Your thoughts?

Options
SunshineT83
SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
So, I know that there are dozens of different yoga styles to practice and experience. And I have tested out basic classes of quite a few practitioners: Hatha/Iyengar, Ashtanga, Vinyasa/Flow, Baron Baptiste's Power yoga, even a touch of Kundalini (that's tough on my knees)
But the one style that I have always sort of been (ok I'll say it) afraid of is Bikram or Hot Yoga. Just the thought of being closed up in a sauna-like room trying to breath through a pose makes me dizzy and brings on a near asthma attack. Even though I'm from Texas I don't do well with extreme temperatures (especially heat). If working through a powerful Vinyasa class produces a solid sweat for me the idea of heating a room up to 90-98.6 degrees F is just too much to bare. Also I had an instructor who I respect greatly and she expressed a little concern about if not done properly with an attentive instructor Hot Yoga can provide a false sense of openness and those practice might dive deeper into poses before they are truly ready to allowing for potential injury.

Are there any Bikram or Hot Yoga practitioners here who can give some anecdotes about your experiences with it? is the heat really brutal and unnerving? I'm terrified that I will have an asthma attack in a class and have to be dragged from the room. (that would be so humiliating).

Replies

• been2boston
    been2boston Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I've never done Bikram. But I usually do Baptiste, Forrest, or other "power" yoga in a 90 degree + room. I adore it.

The ONLY reason I started this was because I had found an instructor who I love, and she told me about a "heated" class she taught at another studio. I laughed at her. Me and heat/humidity are NOT friends. When I started, I had to take a ton of breaks. Child's pose was my friend. I had my inhaler with me. I knew the "coolest" spot in the room, and got there early enough to be sure it was my spot. A few times I had to leave the room.

But, as with any exercise regimen, my body adapted. Five years in, I crave the heat and humidity. Some days it is still a lot, and I find myself in childs pose, but I love how strong it has made me and how much I have grown in my (mental and physical) abilities. With the right instructor, it's an amazing experience. If you do try it, don't give up after one class; go to at least 3, even with different instructors and/or different studios. Drink plenty of fluids (the biggest problem I had was a migraine after class, which was actually because I was dehydrated), and bring a towel or two.

If you do try it, I'd love to hear about your experience- good or bad!! Best of luck to you!!!
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response Been2Boston, you make it seem more do-able. I will share what my thoughts are if I gather up the courage to try a few classes.
  • ProvanPT
    ProvanPT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Sunshine

I have been practicing Bikram Yoga since Nov 2012. I won't lie, it's the most challenging form of exercise I've ever done - mainly due to the heat. It's very hot 105f and 40% humidity. The struggle is regulating your breathing and avoiding the dizziness - this will improve over time and will rapidly improve the more you go. I have loved the results so far - increased flexibility, all over body toning and a general feeling of well being. My skin is also benefiting greatly from the daily cleanse.

It compliments other exercise well. I also do Interval Training on a daily basis so the yoga really helps me stretch out following this.

There are some great studios In Houston if that's where you are in Texas?

It's worth trying a couple of times - I think it's one of these things you'll either love it or hate it. I'm in the middle of a 20 day challenge and have been amazed how quickly I've improved in each of the postures. It is repetitive, however this is what I like as I am familiar with the routine and can track my progress.

Go try and see how you get on. Most studios will offer a single session or week trial basis!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Also I had an instructor who I respect greatly and she expressed a little concern about if not done properly with an attentive instructor Hot Yoga can provide a false sense of openness and those practice might dive deeper into poses before they are truly ready to allowing for potential injury.

I agree with this. The increased temperature does make your body more flexible, and it is easier to go further with less awareness.

As a fellow Texan that doesn't appreciate the heated room yoga, I don't the appeal, especially of Bikram (more because of Mr. Bikram than the style of yoga) You've tried Ashtanga and Bapiste - both of which are usually heated to 90-95 degrees, so in a way, you've already tried it - it's just a different set of postures in at a higher temperature - but give it a shot once or twice, you may love it.

btw, all physical yoga (kundalini excepted) is Hatha yoga, but usually it refers to a generic type of class. I'm curious which Iyengar class you took. I know all the Iyengar teachers in our area. Would you message me?
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i love hot yoga. i like how i sweat a lot and feel rejenenated afterwards! lol..
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I started bikram yoga on 3/2 for a 30 day challenge and just completed my 19 days so far. My flexibility, core and balancing has improved and water itntake. I drink 20 ounces before, 20 during class (8-10 ounces at a every 30 minute break,) and 20 ounces after class. The instructor are very helpful, the odor and walking barefooted was challenging for me at first and now I have managed to relax and going for the 60 day challenge!
  • crosbymo
    crosbymo Posts: 15
    Options
    Late to reply to this post, but oh well.

I've done Bikram and Hot Hatha and Vinyasa. I practiced Bikram 1-2 times a week for about 10 months while I was in college and took a year off from any hot yoga for about a year (not a lot of studios where I was living). This past Oct I finally got back in to Hot Yoga and went with Hatha/Vinyasa on average twice a week. In the past month, I tried Bikram again, but I've decided Bikram is just not for me. I will not be doing Bikram again.

Any hot yoga is TOUGH, but the freedom and variety of poses in Vinyasa/Hatha is more preferable for me. You have more freedom to do different levels of poses and I like to flow more in my poses. The last couple times I went to Bikram I got bored because I knew what was coming (in case you are unaware every single Bikram class has the same poses). Plus, for me, Bikram is not meditative AT ALL. I'm in a better state of mind in a Hatha/Vinyasa than a Bikram class.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I like hot yoga but I won't go back to Bikram, although I do have a Bikram studio to thank for piquing my interest in yoga in the first place.

See if you can find a yoga studio that offers a "mild heat hot yoga" class for beginners, and then you can decide if it's something that interests you further.

I will say, I spent most of my first hot yoga class simply lying on my mat. It takes a bit to get used to it. Drink oh so much water the day and morning before class!
  • Laney2r
    Laney2r Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love yoga but I did not enjoy Bikram. The heat was a factor but my biggest issue was that the style (at least at the studio in Virginia) was very drill instructor-like. If you do Bikram you do the same poses every session - just not my thing. However there is a woman in my office that drives over an hour and half to get to her Bikram class. They didn't mind the week that I tried that I sat on my mat when the heat got to me. So I didn't feel pressure to try and do more than I felt like I could, it just wasn't the kind of yoga I enjoy.

I like to try new things because you never know what you might end up loving (how I got on to yoga to begin with) so if you are interested give it a try.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I feel like my muscles get hot enough and, quite frankly, at age 55 I generate enough heat on my own! Seriously, though, I've always been very susceptible to heat stroke and that sort of thing. When I get too hot I throw up (literally). But I respect people who can do it and I totally get the concept.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram and hot vinyasa and love them both! At first it can be challenging dealing with the heat and humidity but just know there is always sitting down, taking child's pose, drinking water, etc. My first Bikram's class, I think I spent the majority of it in child's pose but the next time was better and soon I didn't have to take any breaks and felt great!

Make sure you eat before but allow yourself some time to digest. Empty stomach can make you dizzy while a full one can make you nauseus. Also, you might feel the urge to run out of the room if it gets too hot - I recommend not doing this. Staying in the room and resting allows your body to work through its stress and adjust. Also, the drastic change in temperature can make you sick and dizzy.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Also, you might feel the urge to run out of the room if it gets too hot - I recommend not doing this. Staying in the room and resting allows your body to work through its stress and adjust. Also, the drastic change in temperature can make you sick and dizzy.

Totally agree with this. The goal of class #1 is just to stay in the room the whole time. Leaving will probably make you sick, and you'll probably never go back if that happens!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Bikram. It is a very disciplined practiced so all of the instructors I have ever had have been amazing. They walk around and adjust you and help because it is true (like most things) that if you don't know what you're doing you could get hurt. You should really try it more than once, too. The first time is scary and you don't know what to expect, so the second time is more about the poses and less about "What is next?!", "OMG it's hot in here!", "When is this over?!".
    Most studios allow you to try the first class for free and even offer an unlimited week special for newbies. I highly recommend trying it. It's really amazing for strength, balance, and your immune system.

Also, no one in there is judging your or your ability. They are way to busy concentrating on themselves and their practice :) Go and have fun!
  • cherrytm
    cherrytm Posts: 13
    Options
    I tried bikram yoga for about a month and I went to about 15 classes within that month, hoping that it would get better. My feeling about it is that I just didn't get out of it what I got out of other forms of yoga. I got the physical benefit, and felt noticeably trimmer and leaner, especially in my arms and thighs. However, due to the sweltering heat I didn't find myself getting to my mental and spiritual "zen". I usually like to let my mind drift and contemplate things during yoga/exercise, but in bikram I was too busy worrying about not getting sick or passing out. I really just found myself wanting to get out of the room for most of it. Then again, I am from michigan so I am a total wimp about heat.

I don't mean to discourage you at all, and I hope you give it a couple of tries, some people love it. If you eat enough (but not right before class), drink, listen to your body, etc, you have very little risk of anything bad happening. Hopefully you find it more enjoyable than I did!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Aree there any youtube videos for vibnayasa or bikrams yoga? Could not find a good one
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Aree there any youtube videos for vibnayasa or bikrams yoga? Could not find a good one

I think there are training materials through some of the instructor websites...
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

I think there are training materials through some of the instructor websites...
    could you give the link please since i do not find a proper workout link
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The two main concerns with any hot yoga practice is dehydration and injury. You may feel hot and your muscles may seem like they can stretch further, but it can give a false sense of flexibility. I've done it a few times, but prefer variation in my practice. Vinyasa yoga gets me sweating enough as it is. And you can make the poses more challenging if you want more of a workout.

My yoga instructor always tells me to back off a little bit. I like to get my heart rate and respirations up. I like the challenge of trying to hold a strong pose while controlling my breathe and breathing through shaky legs and arms.

Definitely try a few places as different instructors teach differently. Most studios will offer a week or a class free to try.

Also, check out Tara Stiles on youtube. She often posts short videos of how to progress into a pose or a sun salutation.
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When doing some sports, I usually look if it is good for my Pitta dosha. As it is heating and very humid, I wouldn't try to do this just not to aggravate my weak constitution. I just couldn't bare the heat, it makes me mad after short time. Plus, the regular Ashtanga yoga makes me sweat not too much, but it still does and I think that this is just what I want.
  • queenofshiva
    Options
    I miss hot yoga. I started out trying yoga that was Bikram (crazy huh) in Buffalo NY. I typically went to the 75F-90F classes (I was always too scared to try the 105F class). Now that I am living in Toronto, there are so many yoga studios, they are literally like Starbucks. The hot yoga up here is a bit pricier and VERY hot, so I've been going to a regular hatha yoga/cardio class studio. I must say though, the hot yoga helped me get into the poses better; the sweat really helped. And after awhile, I barely would sweat, it was like my body got used to it. My suggestion is take a 75F-80F class (find a studio that has a wide temperature range of classes like when I first tried it) and see if you like it and take it from there. Also, drink plenty before and after class (and even during). Eventually, I would like to go back to Bikram though because I genuinely miss it and found it a tad more relaxing.