Urgent question please!

Options
Utahgirl12
Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
Hi all, my book has finally arrived from the US and I've spent all day reading it through. I think I've got the hang of it and I've copied out a training log and filled it in to start stage 1 workout A as early as possible tomorrow morning in the gym. Hoping to get there early before all the intimidating men get there lol.

One thing I'm confused on.....my first exercise will be "squats pg 157". Does this mean I just do the barbell squat on pg 158, or do I just start with basic squats?? I can see there are barbell squats, partial single leg squats, dumbell single arm overhead squats, dumbell squats, heels raised on plates........Do I start with the barbell squat and eventually work my way up to the others, or do they appear at specific points in later stages?

Do you understand what I mean? I think I'm confusing myself now?

Really hope someone can help before I go at 7am tomorrow. It's 9.41pm here now in the UK!

Thanks in anticipation,

Lucy

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do the one that is actually on page 158.
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Thank you! Have just been practising now so that my son can watch me and check I am doing it right. Only trouble is I don't have a barbell so had to use my sweeping brush......

Lucy
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    There are ways to do it without barbells. You will have to talk with others that do it at home. There are a few here that do it that way. I have a gym membership, so do it per the book lol. But there are plenty of ways to alter.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I often look on youtube for different ways to do things. I started with dumbbells for my squats.
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do have a gym membership, so will be working out there. just having a little practise run with the brush tonight lol.

Bit nervous about starting tomorrow, but not going to get hung up on numbers.....just going to give it my best shot.
  • Sporks42
    Sporks42 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just remember everyone starts somewhere! I find the weight section to be the least judgemental and most chill area of my gym. I'm 60lb overweight and I feel clumsy all the time, but no one pays any attention to me. For my first day I dragged my husband around with me (can your son come with you?) so he could distract me from the real world, and I took pictures of my book so I could just have my phone.

Guess your weights but don't be afraid to up them or down them mid set as needed (it took four times for me to put enough weight on the bar for my squats, but I got there in the end.) Most importantly though, have fun and let your body rest when you're done!
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do it without the barbell. I know I need to work on my form. I'll hold the barbells in my hands now (week 4) to add a little umph.

I also do this because there's no rack to use at the gym I go to. It's just a bench press thing. I'm new to lifting it might be what I need and I just don't know. lol