Questions for stage 1 (newbie)

Options
M00NPYE
M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
I'm getting ready to go to the gym...

Does any do a different version of the swiss ball crunch? I don't see this anywhere on you tube, can I do it another way that seems less likely for me to bust my *kitten*, or face plant in the floor??

Also when doing lunges or step ups do you do all reps on one leg in one set or do you do alternate each rep for both legs?

Thanks,

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I do all my step ups on one leg and then the other and then I rest.

Are you talking about the pikes or the crunches? The crunches are straightforward. The pikes on the other hand...we did them in my pilates class the other day, so I got actual instruction. If you keep your core engaged, you get to keep all your teeth, is all the advice I have :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Swiss ball crunches are basically crunches on an exercise ball aren't they? The Prone Jacknifes are the ones where you are at risk of breaking teeth hehehe. I do a very shaky prone jacknife and the swissball crunches are pretty easy to stay on top of the ball. I have not yet done step ups because I made a mistake with my Workout A and did something else from Workout B by accident. #learningcurve :)
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have it closer to my knees. It still works me out and requires balance. I'm slowly working it down to my ankles. I've noticed the right size ball that's inflated correctly works wonders. My one at home is the smallish size 65cm i think. The one at the gym that I use is huge, 70 something cm and inflated fully. I do better at the gym.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    thanks, the picture I was looking at was a swiss ball plank, lol.. i will kill myself with that one but i just did the crunch and it was not hard at all.. in fact i did 10 instead of 8, perhaps my form wasn't right. i will have a trainer help me next time. :wink:
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    OK, did workout #2 today, LOVED IT, but I'd like to add a couple questions to the mix.......

Barbell Deadlift 2 x 15 : Set1 @ 65# & Set2 @ 75#
    Dumbell Shoulder Press 1 x 15 Set1 @ 15#
    Wide Grip Lat Pull-Down 1 x 15 Set1 @ 40#
    Dumbell Shoulder Press 1 x 15 Set2 @ 15#
    Wide Grip Lat Pull-Down 1 x 15 Set2 @ 55#
    Lunges 1 x 15 BW
    Swiss Ball Crunch 1 x 15
    Lunges 1 x 15 BW
    Swiss Ball Crunch 1 x 15

Question #1 am I doing the rotation of the exercises correctly? My JEFIT app appears to be doing each exercise consecutively after the 60 sec rest rather than rotating the 2 for superset? I guess it may not really matter, but I want to try and follow the routine as closely as possible; which brings me to question #2. I had some trouble with the lunges due to my ankle & toe (had major reconstructive ankle surgery a year ago & broke my toe yesterday!) I started with 15# each hand, but couldn't do that, so I dropped to no weight & still struggled so I did single leg lunges with one leg up on bench behind me, do you think it's ok to modify like this? I want to do the work, but I don't want to push my ankle to hard too fast. Also do I do 15 per leg each set, or just the 2 sets alternating legs from set 1 to set 2?

Thanks - Rae :wink:
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Rae - You are supposed to do two sets of the deadlifts and then superset the pairs of moves. the lunge you are describing sounds like a bulgarian split squat. I think that is a fine modification.
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    Thanks! I think I have been doing correctly then! :glasses:

Also one last thing.....on the lunges when I do my sets do I do 15 each leg? twice?

Or in first set do 15 right leg, then second set do 15 left leg......then done,does that make sense? Do I do each leg in each of the 2 sets, which would be 30 total per set 15 each leg......

:huh:

haha
  • icmags
    icmags Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Question about the meal plan...

What's the split as far as carbs/protein/fat I should be looking for? I searched for it in the book and can't find it. I want to get going on the meals before starting the workouts.

I've been on the MFP low end for a while and am excited to not be under-eating! MFP had me at 1200, which I had upped to 1300...because...really? Who needs that?

Anyone started on the meal plans but at a weight loss calorie minimum for stage 1? It's well above what I have been eating, I just don't want to start eating almost twice what I was eating previously.

Thanks!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Also one last thing.....on the lunges when I do my sets do I do 15 each leg? twice?

Or in first set do 15 right leg, then second set do 15 left leg......then done,does that make sense? Do I do each leg in each of the 2 sets, which would be 30 total per set 15 each leg......

haha

total of 30 lunges per set. you alternate with the lunges as opposed to what you do in future stages.
  • mrs_mab
    Options

haha

total of 30 lunges per set. you alternate with the lunges as opposed to what you do in future stages.

That is what I thought! Thanks for the feedback! :happy:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Crap I've only been doing 15 lunges per set, that was hard enough! I think I'll build up to that one...
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    Crap I've only been doing 15 lunges per set, that was hard enough! I think I'll build up to that one...

Exactly, I was hoping I was doing too many at 30, and could back down! haha! :laugh:
    Quads and *kitten* are pretty dang sore today! :noway: