Supplements

Options
JisatsuHoshi
JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
Just curious... What supplements are you including in your Keto diet?

Currently I take:

1x Optimen multi-vitamin
6x MRM Smartblend (Mixture of essential fatty acids such as omega-3 & 6, EPA, DHA, CLA and GLA)
2x Calcium/Vita-D tablets (500mg/100mg)
3x Milk Thistle
3x Alpha Lipoic Acid (600mg)
2x Leucine (1500 mg)
2x Animal Cuts

Replies

• SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I should likely be taking more than I do, because all I've been taking is a Centrum Silver vitamin and mineral supplement. The reason I take the senior pills, is because they're some of the few that don't have iron in them, and seeing as though I eat so much meat, I felt that taking anything with iron in it would be silly.

I also take a fiber supplement from time to time which is just psyllium husk.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I used to include fiber supplements with my diet, but removed them when I started incorprating flax meal into the my foods.

Only time I used fiber caps is during my carb ups if I take in too much fats. Helps absorbs them and pushes them out.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    amino acids, mineral supplement, and probiotics
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I take Gaba, L Glutamin ,and Garcinia Cambogia as these were recommended on a podcast that i listen to about keto lifestyles.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Flax is awesome, and honestly I need to be consuming more. I once made these amazing flax crackers, and honestly the flax really did a better job than the fiber pills.
  • dawnmarie1115
    dawnmarie1115 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I take a women's multi-vitamin, Probotics and Triphala. I am allergic to flax seed.
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    I take a multi-vmin by MetaGenics with no Iron, Magnesium (for leg cramps) , Vit D (my LCHF doc recommended), and fish oil. The Magnesium is planned for 20days only, to get rid of leg cramps and continue on an as-needed basis later if they recur. Taking magnesium for a day or two elimanted the cramps but they keep returning a week or two later. Apparently Potassium is often prescribed for cramping (a common side effect of low carb) but supposedly the Potassium deficiency is only a symptom of the underlying magnesium deficiency. (getting all this from "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living"). Let's see if it works long term.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mercola multivitamin (was having cramps in my feet and the multi resolved it)
    Dr. Mercola Women's krill oil
    Dr. Mercola probiotics - the drink mix version (only occasionally) - will be learning to ferment my own veggies soon.
    Liquid D3 and K2
    Cod liver oil.

I don't supplement fibre and have found that I am healthiest when I keep fibre LOW. Whatever fibre I get in my small amount of daily vegetables is working perfectly. IMO the "benefits" of fibre have been greatly exaggerated, but I'm sure that everyone is different.
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    question?

Why shouldnt we include an iron supplement? I read that ready the atkins book
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    question?

Why shouldnt we include an iron supplement? I read that ready the atkins book

It depends on the person. If you are getting ample amounts of iron in your diet via animal and plant based sources a supplement can actually be detrimental and tax your kidneys.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    Jamieson - Calcium & Magnesium,
    Jamieson - Potassium
    Jamieson - Omega 3-6-9, 1 soft gel
    Jamieson Natural Sources - Vitamin E
    Jamieson Vitamins - B6, B12 and Folic Acid,
    Jamieson Natural Sources - Salmon & Fish Oils Omega-3 Complex, 4 softgel
    Ultra Fiber - Fiber With Psyllium and Prune (I don't eat veggies very often so take 6-9 of these daily for my 15 grams of fiber)

Then my caffeine tablets so I don't end up killing anyone.

The fiber & B6, B12 and Folic Acid supplements are the only new thing I've added in since starting Keto every thing else I was already taking.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    an Ascenta fish oil supplement
    Ddrops
    Magnesium and Pot
    Ortho Adapt (an adaptogen)
    Sodium Ascorbate if I'm not well

I'm thinking about adding fibre, I don't seem to get enough.
  • Avy1976
    Avy1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel like I take a lot at the moment, at various times of the day. I also work out 6 times a week, although 3 of those days is yoga, so it's good, but not strenuous (usually!)

A good multi, no iron
    Chromium
    Biotin
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    CLA/GLA
    Fish Oil
    L-Carnitine
    L-Glutamine
    B-100s
    D3

I think that's it. I will drop some and rearrange as time goes on, depending on my needs. I've actually scheduled blood work next week since it's been a year low carb, to see how I'm doing and if there's anything I need to be aware of, and deficiencies, etc.

And I agree with an above poster, fiber is overrated. We get the amount our bodies require if we are eating the veggies we should be in this type of lifestyle, and it can do more harm than good, to have too much. Healthy fats and a good probiotic keep my system running better than anything else ever has.