Losing too much weight?

Hi all,

I went gluten-free about six weeks ago. Since then, I've lost about six pounds and an inch and a half off my waist measurement. But I wasn't trying to lose any weight! I started tracking my calories to try to see if it was natural loss from coming off the gluten or if I wasn't eating enough. It seems to be the latter--I come up several hundred calories short every single day.

Obviously I need to eat more. Does anyone have any concrete suggestions of ways to boost your daily calorie intake without just resorting to eating junk food in the evening? I've been toying with the idea of just adding a fourth meal to my day, because at the three meals I do have I eat until I'm full, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

Thanks in advance!
Sophie

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    If you feel you need a 4th meal because the 3 you are eating are not enough, then most definitely add that 4th meal in. There is no reason why you can't, especially if you aren't eating enough to begin with calorie wise.

And you don't need junk food. There are tons of ways to boost your calorie goal. Eat a handful of peanuts, a hard boiled egg, make your portions a bit bigger at the meals you eat already, have some cheese or a glass of milk, add an extra tsp of oil when cooking.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    or snacks in between meals.. I do yogurt or fruit.....
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Adding a serving of avocado or nuts, gives you a bunch of extra but healthy calories
  • I've struggled to eat adequate calories since going gluten free as well. For me, because I'm not hungry and still have some nausea & pain from eating so much gluten stuff in the past, I make up my calories with complan which is just a nutrient drink but recommended by professionals.

Hopefully soon though I will be able to swap that for healthy snacks though :-) There are some great things in health food shops like protein bars which are full of nuts, I had a nice banana bread one last night and it was quite high in calories but without the junk.

x
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Be aware that you may have other food sensitivities caused by celiac as well. Some of the big ones are oats, corn, or other grains, dairy, and soy. Keep an eye on what you are eating and what makes you better/worse.

Right now my kiddo is really struggling. He's been eating gluten/dairy at friends' houses and has really messed up his digestive system. After several weeks of throwing up, he has decided to straighten up, but now he has re-aggravated his sensitivity to corn and maybe rice, and has given himself reflux, acid indigestion, and perhaps an ulcer. So he is on a very limited diet and acid reducers now, trying to get him back to where he can eat and sleep without pain.
    I've struggled to eat adequate calories since going gluten free as well. For me, because I'm not hungry and still have some nausea & pain from eating so much gluten stuff in the past, I make up my calories with complan which is just a nutrient drink but recommended by professionals.

Hopefully soon though I will be able to swap that for healthy snacks though :-) There are some great things in health food shops like protein bars which are full of nuts, I had a nice banana bread one last night and it was quite high in calories but without the junk.

x
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    How any calories each day did you find you was eating and how active are you.

Like the others have said nuts,seeds fruit as a snack
    You could try a good peanut butter or almond butter that hasn't got much or any added bad oils.

hummus maybe as well as avocados if you like them

i bought a gf seeded loaf once and a slice had 200 cals so maybe something like that with avocado or a nut butter could give you a good 300 plus cals with out have to force a big meal in if you never feel very hungry.
  • karenmorgan946517
    karenmorgan946517 Posts: 17 Member
    The weight and size change maybe bloat that you have lost since going gluten free. I am heavy but lost 6 inches of my waist the first 2 weeks that I went gluten free. I forget how many pounds as it was three years ago. The gluten causes tons of inflammation all over. It took me about three months to stabilize to the change.