First outdoor run

Options
kae_blah
kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
Today I completed W4D1 outside.

This is my 3rd attempt at the C25K and I am a big fan (even if I don't stick it out to the end).

In early July I have a 6km mud run so I thought I should re-start the C25K. I am only doing 2 runs a week and a third lot of exercise (one week it was indoor rock climbing).

On week 2 I tried day 3 on the footpath. It was at night and the cold air felt like daggers. I got half way through then walked for another 20 minutes without the jogging.

Last week I had a cold and took a week off. Today is a public holiday so I thought I would try my Monday run outside rather than at the gym after work.

It was good. Time did not drag as much as I expected and I did not miss having my drink bottle.

Who else has/is trying to convert from treadmill to outdoors?

Replies

• shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I mix it up . . . love getting outside when I can tho :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I did both when I was doing C25k, but now I've transitioned to the outdoors. There's so much to do out there!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been pure treadmill since I started (redoing week 5 right now) but I want to take it outside because its getting rather hot in my upstairs where the treadmill is. I've tried to run outside a couple of times and I am shocked at how different it is. Although I can run 8-10 minutes straight on the treadmill I can barely make it 1 minute outside. I know its a mental thing for me, so worried about other people looking at me and laughing or something. Plus I don't have any good running clothes, when I run at home I'm usually just in my sports bra & shorts. I need to do a shopping trip to the running store, shoes,jacket, wicking fabric clothes. Hope I get some overtime soon. lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's not mental though. It might *feel*mental, but it really is a need to recondition yourself.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I transitioned from treadmill to outside when I was doing C25K...but I did it early on (week 4 I think).

Treadmill running is great....there are a lot of people who do it. It is still running, no matter what people might argue about on the forums. It is actually best to mix up treadmill/outside because outside works a few muscles that the treadmill doesn't. Also, outside requires more balance (this mainly applies to trail) and helps beat boredom.

When running outside, the average runner fluctuates pace every quarter mile or so. That is why all apps mainly focus on your average pace.

When going from inside to outside, you need to remeber you are changing your running. On the treadmill, you just had to keep pace. You didnt' really have to create your forward momentum, outside you do (that is where those un-worked muscle fibers come in).

When you first transition, your legs might end up more sore than normal. That is normal, you are working muscle fibers that used to lie dorment. They will hurt until they get used to what you are doing, and have gotten stronger. Also, it is much harder on your knees and joints. Remember, you land with X3 the force you would on a treadmill. So...take me for example, I weigh 143. When I run, each time I land on my foot fall it is with about 400 lbs of force. Taking breaks, or mixing up tempo, long and easy runs are important.

Shifting early on in the C25K program makes the transition much easier. The sooner you do it the better. Depending on when you shift, you might end up having to scale back a few weeks. So, if you are in week 6 and running 30 minutes outside, you might end up having to scale back and do only 15.

Oh...and skip the running stores for running clothes. They are always super expensive (except for your race outfit....after all you are a runner now, might as well look like one lol). I get all my running clothes from T-J Maxx or Marshalls. Just look for the work out clothes that say something about wickering, or dry fits, etc.... Or better yet, just go in a sports bra and a white under shirt (the tank top type).
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I found it easier on the tredmill than outside. But much perferred being outside to run & think ill only use tredmill again in rubbish weather :)
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I finally got to do my first outdoor run today! I managed to go 16 minutes of jogging before I felt I really needed a break, so I walked for a minute or so and then ran the last 10 minutes back to my starting point. I felt that the time passed much more quickly than when I was on the treadmill, and according to my calculations I was doing about 5.5 mph pace, which I guess seems about right. It was harder than the treadmill, but not as hard as I thought it would be, but we'll see how I feel tomorrow. Right now, I feel pretty damn good, actually!
  • BiancaMarie819
    BiancaMarie819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm so nervous to run outsides! Its so much easier to run on treadmill and I'm already at week 5 day 3,should i postpone that and go back to week 2 and do those outside? Or continue on the treadmill and after/before practice running outside. :O help!
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did the whole program on the treadmill, which was partially because I was running in the Midwest in winter/what passed for spring this year, and partially because of the difficulty and discouragement of trying to learn to run in my extremely hilly neighborhood. I found my first outdoor run (about a month after finishing C25K) to be much less difficult than I'd anticipated.

I say if you've got a place to run outdoors, give it a shot, see how you feel the next day, and from there decide how you want to incorporate it into your program.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    There's no need to go back to week two to take it outside. Take it outside whenever you're ready. I took it off the treadmill once I got to week seven. The treadmill for me was easier for the interval weeks (I didn't have a smartphone then). My partner waited until the week of her first 5k race to take it outside. We were both fine. For me outdoors felt easier, probably just because I cherish nature and in front of the treadmill I stare at the clock that never seems to move. For my partner, the treadmill was a whole lot easier and is still preferred often. Whatever you choose is fine, and there isn't a right or wrong. It all counts. Just expect and be patient with yourself when the transition is tougher than you thought it would be. That's normal, whenever you're switching to the unknown/unrehearsed.

Good luck, week 5 day 3 is a biggie. Don't put it off... get in there and get it done, it's an EPIC turning point (at least for me it was). It's hard, but somehow getting through it makes everything following it more possible.