Very tough time with 5K yesterday

Options
TiredMom12
TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
Ran in a 5k race yesterday and even though I did it in a decent time (29.08), I struggled to finish. I started the C25k in September and have been running 3 plus miles a few times a week without issue. Ran my first official 5k on St. Patrick's Day in very cold temps and did it in 30.45, but didn't feel like I struggled to finish. Yesterday, I had to walk a few times for a few seconds to catch my breath and really pushed myself to get through it. It was a very hot day and that I think accounted for it and I also started off too fast. I am very proud of what I have accomplished, but hate that I didn't enjoy the race.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing under 30 - that's great!! You'll have good races and bad races and the heat will definitely affect you. Are you doing any longer runs during the week? Try to do one long run each week and that will help your endurance. Since I have started running longer I find that I don't usually enjoy the first 3 miles but once I get beyond that I actually start feeling better. I think if I ever do any more 5K's I will go run a couple of miles before the race just to get warmed up.
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am going to start working on a 10k which will force me to do longer runs. Hard as I have 3 small children and can't dedicate all the time I want to my running, but trying to make it work as I really enjoy it. A lot of yesterday was mental as I was fixated on doing it under 30 and was sort of psyching myself out of it. Weird, but hopefully my next run will be easier. Not sure I can do another 5k in the summer.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Heat has more of an impact than you realize. I went out for a 6 mile easy run with a group and had to turn back because I got dizzy - it was hot and they were a little faster than I was used to - so embarrassing.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but I just read the Runner's World book "Running on Air" They recommend that you use a breathing cadence so you exhale on opposite legs each time. Their recommended cadence is In 3: Out 2 for an easy pace, In 2 : Out 1 when you are really working and In 2: Out 1: In 1: Out 1 when you are nearly sprinting.

For me, this has changed my runs from "finding my stride after 3 miles" to getting to that sweet spot almost immediately and allowed me to pace myself from the start during the 10k I just did. I don't know whether its the alternating exhale or simply having a count for each level of activity that's helping, but it really is working without me having to do a lot of extra training.

I have a 3-year-old and an 18-month old, so I feel you on being able to get out there. I've been lucky at being able to make my training schedule work around my work/home schedule. Your next run will be easier, your next race will be better and you will adapt to the heat. Good luck!