Paleo Diet Weight Loss Tips

Options
lenaflem
lenaflem Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone,

I have been paleo for the past 8 months, and love how I feel eating paleo. I have lost about 10 lbs initially (most likely weight water/retention and inflammation), but have plateaued. I have just started a macro ratio of 15% carbs/ 45% fat/ 40% protein with a max of 1500 cal per day. I workout 6 days a week, 3 days heavy lifting (dead lifts, squats, lunges, box jumps, chin ups, dips, lat pull down, weight ab exercises), 2 days HIIT cardio on step mill (30 min intense intervals) and 1 day of a long (6-12 mile) hike. I have put on muscle and my clothes fit better, but that has also been slow. I am about 22% body fat right now, and would like to get down to anywhere between 18-20%. I am 5'8" and weigh 160 lbs.

I know it's a marathon, and not a sprint, but I am always looking for suggestions to modify and perfect my fitness plan. I would love to hear anyone's success stories on the paleo diet as well as advice to help me reach my goals.

Thank you very much!

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    With that amount of exercise, 1500 calories is nowhere NEAR enough. That's my best guess re: why your loss is slow!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I agree,too few calories...u might want to up your fat as well and lower your protein..60% fat is a good guide to go by
  • dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm actually same height as you and have the same goals of reaching about 18% bf. Firstly, for the amount of excersize your. Doing I'd suggest upping your cals by a few hundred. I'm also very active and on average eat 2000cals sometimes more sometimes less depending on the day and what I'm doing. In terms of weight loss try not to eat alot of fruit and paleo treats like dark chocolates and such... All the fructose and extra sugar will still spike insulin and as for muscle building many people will tell you to ditch the tubers and starchy veggies which I agree too except on strength training days. I find recovery is better and so is performance :) feel free to add me
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm actually same height as you and have the same goals of reaching about 18% bf. Firstly, for the amount of excersize your. Doing I'd suggest upping your cals by a few hundred. I'm also very active and on average eat 2000cals sometimes more sometimes less depending on the day and what I'm doing. In terms of weight loss try not to eat alot of fruit and paleo treats like dark chocolates and such... All the fructose and extra sugar will still spike insulin and as for muscle building many people will tell you to ditch the tubers and starchy veggies which I agree too except on strength training days. I find recovery is better and so is performance :) feel free to add me

I'd say this, plus, when was the last time you took a break?? That sounds pretty intense, 6 days/week. Your body might just need some rest & recovery more often than 1 day/week!
  • bananasandbarbells
    bananasandbarbells Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat? This doesn't work for everybody but last year I lost a good amount of weight by eating every 3 hours. Small meals-almost considered snacks but I had about 6-7 meals/day. It really is true..It increases your metabolism. I remember having a "eat whatever you want" weekend and ended up losing a pound after NOT gaining! I think it's good to switch up your eating patterns once in a while and it seems to have worked for me. Also, Ive never tried this but I heard carb cycling does wonders for fat loss. I think I might give it a go once I hit my GW but check it out and LMK what you think!
  • LiveFitLoveLife
    LiveFitLoveLife Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you read these articles and use the TDEE Calculator. For as active as you are you really need to eat more calories to supply your body the nutrients it needs to run properly which would result in burning excess fat instead of storing it.

http://eattoperform.com/2013/03/26/tdee-bmr-calculator-explained/
    http://eattoperform.com/eat-to-perform-calculator/
  • lenaflem
    Options
    Thank you so much! I just calculated this, and it is very high ( I haven't eaten like that in years!) but that could be what will help me get out of the rut. I do believe I've been putting my body under too much stress, and this could be the change I need. Would you recommend doing the TDEE or the TDEE - 10% calculation to start off?

Thank you again!
  • lenaflem
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. I have upped my calories to 1900 (on rest days, more on training days) and I am looking forward to seeing the results. I will limit my fruit and dark chocolate (I had been enjoying 2 pieces a day) and save those treats for post-workout, particularly in the case of a piece of fruit. Did you find that this has helped your lose weight? I see from most responses to up my calories to get my metabolism working properly again, but other places I read (not responses) say that cutting calories is the way to lose weight...what are your thoughts from your own experience?