Made the switch to SL 5x5

nursekern
nursekern Posts: 132 Member
Hello everyone!

Just made the switch tonight from NROLFW. I was almost 4 months in, Stage 4, but I was feeling so blah about the whole thing, and the sessions were just taking SO LONG!

Also, I was squatting 185 with New Rules, and I dropped down to the bar tonight as recommended, but should I start higher? Really working on form too, of course.

So far, I love the concept of SL, love the squats, the nice user friendly app, and the fact that my hubby and I can do the same workout together!

Anyway, thanks for everyone that posts around here, I have been lurking and learning :)

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Hello and welcome!

I think it's a great idea to give yourself a bit of a break, and to use the lower weight to really focus on strong form and to develop the muscle memory pathways. If you can maintain good form, get great depth, and squat a bit more than the bar, I imagine that would work. . .
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    If you're already squatting 185 don't go all the way to the empty bar. Just maybe cut back to where you have perfect form for 5x5.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    I dropped back to the bar when I switched from NROL. It really helped me concentrate on form.
    I really enjoy SL. I also work out with my hubby, he has helped me , pushed me and even saved me a few time.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    I dropped back to the bar when I switched from NROL. It really helped me concentrate on form.
    I really enjoy SL. I also work out with my hubby, he has helped me , pushed me and even saved me a few time.
    Same here. I deloaded from 100lb squats down to 80 and my husband was great at helping me get my form. He also helped me get correct form on my bench press. First doms since starting this program.
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    So, I just want to say how much more I love Stronglifts than NROLFW. Simpler, and now I can focus on the basics, form etc. I did drop back down to the bar, so hubs and I can do it together (this is his first lifting program ever). Still had some soreness during week one, just d/t getting lower than before, I think!

I love lifting and I love these squats, can't wait to see as my body changes :)