Tracking on MyFitnessPal

Options
Hey everybody!! I just started my Whole 30 yesterday... First day was fairly successful, let's see if I can do the rest!

My main question right now is about tracking my calories on here. Obviously things are a little different, but I read that I should keep track of my caloric intake because some people eat way less calories than they need without even thinking about it since they have less unhealthy stuff in their diet!! My current goals for the day are 1,200 calories (set there for weight loss before I started my whole 30), 165 carbs, 40 fat, and 45 protein. I am thinking those levels were just generated by the website.

So, anyway, do those change when all I'm eating is meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds? Yesterday I was good on calories, obviously lacking 90 g of carbs, over on fat and on protein. Also, I track my sugar and had way more of that than seemed normal? (Mostly from fruit and sweet potatoes, though, so it that acceptable?)

Anyway, let me know what you guys do for you goals. Or if you just don't pay attention to your goals at all. Like I said, I just wanted to track calories because I read I should make sure I am getting ENOUGH.

Can't wait to discover more in this group!

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)

I track my calories for the reason you mentioned, to make sure I eat enough. I try to stay under 100g of carbs (usually under 75) and kind of let the rest fall where it may. There are a few posts active here about setting your macros if you prefer more detail than that!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I do not know much about the Whole 30 program specifically but a base line paleo/primal diet would recommend a whole lot more than 1200 calories (even if you were tiny and petite and trying to lose weight). If you follow the suggestions from Mart Sission's "The Primal Blueprint" the marco ratios are close to 15% carbs, 20% protein, and 65% fat.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Most paleo folks set their macro goals different than the default. Mine are 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb. I don't necessarily shoot to hit my goals so much as I shoot to NOT hit my carb goal and then stay around my calorie goal. Paleo isn't by necessity low-carb. It just so happens to be low-carb for some, though, like me.

As for the sugar thing, I tend to believe sugar is sugar. How much is too much? I don't know. That's for you to decide. If what you ate yesterday makes you happy and works for you, go with it.
  • TotalBodyRenos
    Options
    I enter my foods and did through my entire w30, mostly to make my clients aware that I too, enter my foods....keep them accountable! I try to eat around 1500 a day...some days I almost had to force feed myself to get 1300, some days 1500 was easy! The % changed bigtime though! I don't worry about what goes where as I do eat a lot of veggies and sweet potatoes, but my fat intake is definitely on the 55-60% range. As we know its all from nuts, avocado, seeds and meats.
    I havent changed my macro settings myself, because really, I don't care! I enter my stuff so that my clients see me doing it. I also don't enter my daily workouts in...just my extra workouts that I am training clients or in ballet.

The one thing I have really re-installed in my brain with the W30 was to listen to my body. Eat when im hungry, eat 3 meals a day, read and be 100% aware of what you are putting into your body, and see where food manufacturers are hiding things! Sugar and gluten are hidden under so many names, and in things they do not need to be in!!

I finished my 1st W30 on May 29 and will be starting #2 in september. I eat Paleo normally, but with the summer, there may be too many alcohol indulges to start a w30 again too soon :)
    I'm here if you need W30 help!
  • roseedee23
    Options
    I have read a lot of things that say I should be eating way more than 1200, but am struggling to get 1000 today!! I kind of have to forcefeed myself high-calorie snacks to meet my caloric goal! (Again, this is only my second day so perhaps it will get easier as time goes on)