New here and just got a date!

Options
pattycakes726
pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
Hi -
I've been lurking for about a month here. I just got a date for my sleeve - July 8!!!! I'm apprehensive but very, very excited! I'd love some MFP friends who've been through the procedure, and I welcome any advice, especially in this pre-op stage. Thanks!

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Practice chewing well and slowly!

Start taking your vitamins now and get a routine going because routines are going to be hard to get going post-op.

Buy a lot of protein powder and shake samples now but don't worry about finding one you like because post-op your tastes will change and the ones you like now might not be the ones you like laster. You can get samples from vitalady.com, nutrition.com, the Syntrax people and chikenutrition.com.

Don't take a lot stuff to the hospital -- you won't be there long and you'll be out of it for it most of it.

Those are the biggies. There are some other things that are just going to depend.

If you drink caffeinated drinks that are also soda, you won't be able to drink soda at first -- it's going to hurt. And stopping caffeine cold turkey the day of surgery is going to be miserable so get off them now.

If you don't drink a lot of water, get into the habit now. Make sure your pee is pale yellow to clear. Get some water bottles with the bite valves or other zippy valves that you can sip, sip, sip from all day long. Anything to make getting your water in easier post-op.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Also try and restrict your portion sizes as much as you can now....the more weight you can lose before the op the better it will be for you. I bought a small side plate and used that as my plate and yes I am still using it now!! I actually bought a couple of really nice ones so I didn't feel left out.

I wouldn't try to get too much food prepared in advance as you will find your tastes change and food won't be a priority for a while!!
    Fluids oh yes. I still struggle to get in enough nearly a year out.

You will be having your op on my birthday so I will be thinking of you on that day!!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'm on the pre-op diet now. What I really struggle with is not drinking before or after eating. That one's really tough. The nutritionist wants me to give up caffeine now, and that hasn't been too difficult. I ordered a packet of Chike samples, and I plan to order some others too. Once I'm 2 weeks pre-op I can only have 2 protein shakes and one small meal a day, then 3 days pre-op, it's 3 shakes only. So I definitely need more. I haven't thought about planning meals for me, but I hope to get some stuff in the freezer for my son so I can rest and not worry about cooking.
  • SaintsFan1975
    Options
    I promise you want have a problem with not drinking with meals. You just can't good luck with your journey.. I have no regrets. If you follow the advice above you will do great. I had mine Oct 19,2012 and I am now trying to gain muscle weight. The Surgeon put me on his web site as a patiant testimonal. I feel FANTASTIC!!
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Stock up on those medical cups, for water intake. I created a spreadsheet to track my water intake for the first 2 weeks.

Get a timer so you know when you can take pain meds.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    All reall good ideas. One more. Start taking a product called Hair, Skin and Nails or Biotin now. It won't eleminate all the hair loss post op, but will really help to minimize it if you start before the surgery. I waited until I was experiencing the hair loss and it took longer for it to stop the loss and my hair to start showing some regrowth.