Strange problem at gym - help please....

Options
ppdes
ppdes Posts: 83 Member
I went to gym within my complex for 2 weeks before deciding that I wanted to begin with stronglifts. Till then I was basically using machines and dumbbells.

I faced a weirdish problem -

I expected gym trainer to be the spotter and also check on my form. He instead advised me that for a beginner and that too, a woman, it was difficult to start with barbell and all these hard core exercises. He advised me to continue with those various machines and said maybe later as my strength builds I can take up whatever program this is...

I was so reticent to keep insisting that I wanted to do these exercises after this speech, especially since all the others in gym at that point were guys and they too sort of supported his notion...

They were all from my complex and so know me and by doling out advice they thought they were helping me....so I couldn't ask for anyone else to be my spotter basically... and I returned home soon... I couldnt go to gym for a week due to hectic work, but I know coming week too, same thing will happen.

I don't want to enrol to another gym. This gym is within my complex, so I save lots of time, its free and its fully equipped. Why should I consider changing gym for such weird reasons.... but does anyone have any idea to share? - how can I convince the gym trainer to willingly spot for me and correct my form? I mean - if I insist he probably will do it, but that won't happen without some sort of counter argument from him....

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I'd either put my foot down and say 'this is what I'm doing. I'd like to do it with good form so please help me' or ignore them all, start on your own, and once you have a few sessions under your belt ask for tips. I've never had a spotter and I've been fine - as long as you have safety bars for squats and can do a 'roll of shame' for bench, you'll be cool...
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    This happens depressingly often. I would just stand your ground: "Thank you for your advice. However, I'd really like to do this programme, so in this session with you I would like you to check my form." You could also point him at gokaleo.com :smile:
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Some people are dumb. But do you really need a spotter?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you have a power rack in your gym, you can bench press without a spotter. Squatting and deadlifts do not require a spotter outside of the context of a powerlifting competition.

Ditch your trainer. He is either uninformed or sexist. And why were the bros at the gym in on the conversation, anyway?

I recommend buying a book on lifting form, such as Starting Strength. It will teach you how to lift safely for a lot less money than an hour with a trainer costs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you have a power rack in your gym, you can bench press without a spotter. Squatting and deadlifts do not require a spotter outside of the context of a powerlifting competition.

Ditch your trainer. He is either uninformed or sexist. And why were the bros at the gym in on the conversation, anyway?

I recommend buying a book on lifting form, such as Starting Strength. It will teach you how to lift safely for a lot less money than an hour with a trainer costs.

This, and I recommend headphones. Just ignore them all, turn up the music and start lifting. You don't need the spotter, but make sure you start out light enough. If the 45 oly bar is a struggle to begin with, look for some pre-weighted bars or start with dumbbells that are lighter than 45 (combined).
  • mink63
    mink63 Posts: 35
    Options
    Drop him. Dont pay someone who wont listen to what you want. I am pretty small and i lift ( well im only at 75-83 pounds but thats pretty heavy for me!) I dont use a spotter except on squats and good mornings. And if my husband, my spotter) is in a bad mood or impatient ill drop my squat weight 15 pds or so so that i dont need a spotter. Then ill increase weight on my deadlifts since i dont need a spotter for that. Theres plenty of women that lift at home without spotters. You can learn the form from youtube, watching yourself in a mirror (thats how i learned not to round my bsck doing stiff leg deadlifts), and by recording yourself with your cellphone. Do you have a friend that can show you how to get started? If not, just teach yourself from the internet and these forums. But seriously, i would not use that trainer! Hes an idiot!

Excuse the typos. 2 screaming children have my mind all scrambled!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Use the power rack & u will be fine without a spotter. Stronglifts is a beginner program, isn't it? Idk why he would say that.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    How do you even know that the dudes and that trainer at your gym lift with correct form? Have you watched any of them do the lifts to judge for yourself if they're even knowledgeable enough to coach and bring correction?
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    DITCH THE TRAINER! He sounds awful! I just started a program and asked my trainer to show me proper form (and I have a ****ty low back) and even WITH my limits she had me using the bar but with no weights.

That trainer is horrible. Find one that will listen. And why are the other ones bothering to chim in? Tell them to shove off. Maybe find another trainer that will help you with form.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

This, and I recommend headphones. Just ignore them all, turn up the music and start lifting. You don't need the spotter, but make sure you start out light enough. If the 45 oly bar is a struggle to begin with, look for some pre-weighted bars or start with dumbbells that are lighter than 45 (combined).

Yup, this ^^^^^^!
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Most trainers at gyms do not know how to do the barbell lifts properly. I wouldn't even ask for a spot from a trainer. Much less ask for help on my form. Coaching the barbell lifts requires a lot more training than teaching someone how to use a machine. Commercial gyms rarely make enough money to pay a properly trained barbell coach. Ignore the trainer next time, or tell him you found another coach if you feel you need to be nice.
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! I feel better armed already with these new ideas and I'm going to listen to music when I go to gym.

Actually, this gym is within my complex and the other day there were couple (or 3) guys who I know personally, they're people from my own building. Acquaintances. The gym is not very large so they were within earshot of my conversation with the trainer and barged in without introduction....
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me with the trainer I hired, he had me doing all sorts of machines and insisted it was the way to go before starting any heavier lifitng program. He was fired after three days and now need to do this on my own :( I do know the the 45lb olympic bar is a bit to heavy for me still so I started using a lighter bar with 30lbs in weights. I cant wait to be able to lift the 45 lb bar with more ease. but til then, lighter weights it is!
  • mjpbgtd
    mjpbgtd Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Late to the thread but I thought that I'd let you know that I had a similar experience...the 'expert' at my gym decided to 'help' me and and steered me away from most of the SL moves ...AND gave me horrible advice about deadlifts. When I went back I felt strange essentially 'dissing' his efforts to help by ignoring what he said. He sort of ignores me now. As everyone here has said so well, trust yourself and ditch the trainer who isn't listening to you. The music idea a should work...and video yourself and submit it on one of the forums here that will help check form if you have questions. You can do this! Who knew that taking up weight lifting would involve social/sociological complexities!
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Same happened to me with the trainer I hired, he had me doing all sorts of machines and insisted it was the way to go before starting any heavier lifitng program. He was fired after three days and now need to do this on my own :( I do know the the 45lb olympic bar is a bit to heavy for me still so I started using a lighter bar with 30lbs in weights. I cant wait to be able to lift the 45 lb bar with more ease. but til then, lighter weights it is!

Based off of NSCA's personal training textbook, a personal trainer SHOULD do a physical assessment with their clients in order to determine what their bodies are capable of BEFORE designing a workout program for them.

From a guy's perspective, I may get similar responses from women when I encourage them to use free weights instead of machines. I met this one lady at the gym who was open to learning proper deadlift form. She was doing deadlifts in order to work on her butt. So we did deadlifts together for a few minutes. I asked her what other types of working out she does and she mentioned that she did a lot of work with the machines. I tried to explain that she should do squats too, but she was too afraid that the weight would fall on top of her so she went back to doing leg extensions. I'll still say hi to her and everything though.

But the guy described in the original post just sounds like he needs to do more research.