Week 4

Options
SenoraMacias
SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
I started week 4 yesterday, and this is where it really gets hard for me. That second 5 min run? Killer! I did complete it, but I'm getting more and more nervous about the coming weeks. I also really haven't lost any weight, and that's getting discouraging :(

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your muscles swell when you start an exercise program I "gained" six pound the week I started lifting. And then lost it and another couple of pounds a couple of weeks later.

My experience is that week 4 kicks your butt if you haven't slowed down enough. It's pretty much designed to force you to find your pace so you can get through week 5 and beyond. Slow down. If you have to stop during the walking intervals and stretch, do that. But keep going. You've almost turned the corner on this.
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    thank you! I kind of feel like I've hit a wall. I pushed through it, but the thought of running more than 5 minutes is scary right now!!
  • KatieD060982
    KatieD060982 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I start Week 4 tomorrow. Trying to go into it with an open mind but I'm dreading that first 5 min run! Baby steps, right? I'm already slower than a snail so maybe it'll work in my favor.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I did Week 4 Day 1 last night. I was rushed getting started and forgot it was a new week until I had started the warm up for the run on my app, so I didn't know how long I was to run. I can't really see my phone when I run, just feel it vibrate when I'm to go to run from a walk or vise versa. I guessed that they were all three minute runs until I got home and found that I had been running 5 minutes for some. I'm very very slow, but I just think of the tortoise and that I'd beat the hare, because he'll stop and I won't :)
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    The first 5 minutes was alright, but the second was a real struggle for me.
  • jennymccorm
    jennymccorm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree. I repeated Week 4 Day 2 twice. That last 5 minutes kicked my butt! I got so discouraged, I took 4 or 5 days off. Decided to go back and start again at week 3. Feeling much better. After reading how you are struggling also, I'm determined to hang in there and get through week 4. I'll take it slow and listen to awesome music!
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with week 3 yesterday and the 3 minute run. I didn't make it either time. But when I was just running for me off the clock I was able to run for 3 minutes. I'm still struggling with finding my pace.
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Help me! I am stuck on week 4.

I have tried three times and I can not complete week 4. My mind and body give up every time with 2:30 left in the last run. Same place every time (I always finish it out walking...but not running). I don't want to give up, but I feel like I need something to get me over this hump. I don't want to move on to week 5 until I am confident I can do week 4.

Anyone else get stuck?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Funny, my wife and I started together and I am probably in better shape than she is. Even for me though, it has been hard. Every single time the run time increased, she would say she didn't think she could do it. We finally had our first failure on W5D3, that is the first long run...20 minutes. We ran for 15, then walked the rest. We tried again the next day and made it without dying. You can do more than you think. Keep at it!
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think I'll be repeating week 3. I found I did better listening to the podcast instead of my own music. I think what I was listening to was too fast and I was running too fast.
    I got slight shin splints and should of taken an extra day off. I think I'll take a couple days rest and try again Sunday or Monday.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Help me! I am stuck on week 4.

I have tried three times and I can not complete week 4. My mind and body give up every time with 2:30 left in the last run. Same place every time (I always finish it out walking...but not running). I don't want to give up, but I feel like I need something to get me over this hump. I don't want to move on to week 5 until I am confident I can do week 4.

Anyone else get stuck?

I've just been taking the advice of other people on here and if I'm having trouble I slow down. Yes, sometimes it feels like I'm barely moving forward, but I get into the rhythm and generally increase my time over each of the weeks. That said, I'm only on week 4 too, but it doesn't seem to be too bad. I've got day 3 today. Next week, week 5, looks to be a difficult one!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I took my fat out and did W4D1 today after a few days off due to work, a cold and Tropical Storm Andrea. I was really worried about the 5 min runs, but I think at this point it's more a mind game than a physical one. I did them, but incredibly slowly. I do 5 steps in each two squares of sidewalk. Some of the bugs were faster than me. But I did it. I'm actually starting to like it too. And trying not to think ahead to W5D3
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with all the other people who say to slow down - if you're not able to finish then you're trying to run too fast (and that's for all of the running segments, not just that final 5 minutes). I did C25K last year and the advice my friend gave me was "just keep your feet moving" and that worked. I'm doing it again this year and just finished W5D2 today. I am moving faster this year than last year, but I'm also better at controlling my breath and setting the right pace from having done it before. I was pleasantly surprised by how the 8 minute runs today didn't feel any longer than the 5 minute runs did on W5D1.
  • Stlarenas
    Options
    Ok ..you all were right. :). I was going way too fast on the first part. I slowed both my walk and my runs down a lot today and finished with ease. I even ran an extra minute at the end of the last run because I could.

I use Edmondo also when I run to track my route and calories. What's funny is the first mile I added almost 4 minutes to...that's how much slower I was. But that made the second mile so much easier. And the time for the two miles ended up being almost the same as always. Any I wasn't really to keil over and die at the end.

I am going to do w4d3 tomorrow and if it goes as well as today I will take a rest day and start week 5 on Tuesday! Yeah!

Thanks everyone.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Ok ..you all were right. :). I was going way too fast on the first part. I slowed both my walk and my runs down a lot today and finished with ease. I even ran an extra minute at the end of the last run because I could.

I use Edmondo also when I run to track my route and calories. What's funny is the first mile I added almost 4 minutes to...that's how much slower I was. But that made the second mile so much easier. And the time for the two miles ended up being almost the same as always. Any I wasn't really to keil over and die at the end.

I am going to do w4d3 tomorrow and if it goes as well as today I will take a rest day and start week 5 on Tuesday! Yeah!

Thanks everyone.

Great job. This is what will get you through week 5 with ease.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I took my fat out and did W4D1 today after a few days off due to work, a cold and Tropical Storm Andrea. I was really worried about the 5 min runs, but I think at this point it's more a mind game than a physical one. I did them, but incredibly slowly. I do 5 steps in each two squares of sidewalk. Some of the bugs were faster than me. But I did it. I'm actually starting to like it too. And trying not to think ahead to W5D3

One of the things that you'll want to work on after C25k is cadence. You want quick light steps that almost land under you at about 180 beats per minute. This increases your efficiency and reduces injury. It sounds like you are already on your way.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

One of the things that you'll want to work on after C25k is cadence. You want quick light steps that almost land under you at about 180 beats per minute. This increases your efficiency and reduces injury. It sounds like you are already on your way.

I can't imagine getting it going that fast. What's the best way to time it and see where you are?
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start Week 4 on Tuesday. I'm nervous, but I'm going to try that tip about slowing down my pace. I am totally dying after Week 3.
  • Stlarenas
    Options
    I'm about to start Week 4 on Tuesday. I'm nervous, but I'm going to try that tip about slowing down my pace. I am totally dying after Week 3.

I am the OP of this tread. I was ready to give up because I thought I would never get past week 4. Nearly everyone told me to slow down.

They were right...Slow down. Seriously, I slowed down so much so that when I finished it for the first time I thought "that was too easy"

I am now on W7D2 and have not struggled completing a run since. It still is hard work, I still have to push through the last couple minutes, and it still feels great when I am done...But I don't feel like I am literally going to collapse and die at the end.

I look forward to every run now because I know I can do it. I am slow - I rarely finish the distance before the time - but I feel myself improving everyday. And I am in no hurry to complete the program because it is what motivates me. So I figure speed will just give me something to work towards later.

Slow down, and stick with it. You can do it!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you are doing it! Congrats on making it so far in the program. :) Honestly, it is really mental after a while. I find that, while my legs get sore after a while, my mind is much quicker to give up than my body. I concentrate on how my body feels and keep telling myself, my legs feel good so I'm keeping going.