How are you doing with your alcohol?

Options
sd_dilligaf
sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
The month of May is here - anyone have issues with Cinco de Drinco?

I have found eliminating alcohol easier than reducing the consumption. ANyone else?

Replies

• paleopin
    paleopin Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm doing so bad with alcohol! I try not to drink any and have limited it to the weekends, but it's so hard. And I don't know how to make new friends without going out to bars and dancing like I used to do :(
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    <
    Going to Germany and Ireland in July. Must prepare liver NOW!:drinker: :laugh:
  • sd_dilligaf
    Options
    Shelly 0125:
    Sorry to hear the urgency and fear in your voice. It comes down to our choices. Dance in a bar and meet inebriated dancers or go to a dance class and meet sober people who love dance for dancing's sake. Don't follow the herd. Follow your own muse.

And if I followed my own advice I'd be skinny....I quit drinking, but not eating. SO I know it's hard to do. Just keep trying.
  • NYCbaby28
    NYCbaby28 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been on MFP off and on for a few years but haven't posted in a while. I began exercising and eating better in my 30's when I realized simply eating low-carb will no longer bring on the magical 20-lb weight loss in one month as it did when I was 20-something. Although my body has responded well to JM workouts and Insanity (I'm more toned, energetic and "feel" smaller), I continue to lose then re-gain the same darn 5 lbs every week since the start of this year. SOOOO depressing as I'd like to lose 30 lbs total (I'm only 5'1, busty and carry it well but trust me, I have that much to lose). It's GOT to be the alcohol that's impeding my weight loss...

I love love love alcohol in any form, especially good craft beers and fine wine. But holy crap, someone here posted that one pint of craft beer can yield up to 650 calories!!! That made me take a 2nd look at my lifestyle. I hardly ever eat junk/fast food and for the most part eat well; love salads and consume good proteins. I never eat excessively; my family and loved ones joke about what a "cheap date" I've always been my whole life...until you take me drinking!! Lolz. I don't even eat before/during/after I drink. Anyhoo, after reading many inspiring posts, I decided to do a little "experiment" and not drink AT ALL for a while. I'm a Scorpio and we just don't do moderation--everything in excess...hahaha. So today is 7 days sober (began after a month of vacationing and LOTS of boozin') and doing okay, save a few withdrawal headaches and some fits of snappish crankiness which I'm sure are attributed to not drinking. My bf and I even went to our favorite local pub/restaurant on Saturday and I was nervous heading over there. Still, I managed a pint of seltzer with lots of ice and slice of lime while watching him enjoy a couple of good pints...and I was FINE! He's been extremely supportive; I had to "force" him to order a beer. Others around me don't have to suffer just because I'm a hot mess and can't stop at two...

To be clear, I don't drink every night but may have some wine/beer during the week with my boyfriend while watching a movie...let's say maybe once/twice per week, a few (2-3) per night. But it's the weekends when I binge and there's no stopping me. I enjoy vodka with club soda when I'm doing low-carb, but again, even drinking this along with exercise seems to be stalling my weight loss, whereas 10 years ago it went well with my Atkins plan and I lost like I never drank at all...

Sorry for the long-winded bio but I've been tinkering with posting for some time, just to get it out there and hold myself accountable since it's in print! I will try to continue my newfound sobriety at least until a big weekend, June 21st-23rd, and plan on beginning again after that. It's Monday so the rest of the week will be "cake" since my bf and I are training for a run and had already vowed to not drink during the week. The toga party on Friday will be challenging, however! Please feel free to reply with any encouragement or war stories, but since this topic is "old" I may only get crickets...lol. Good luck to each and all!
  • sd_dilligaf
    Options
    Hi,

"Everyone" is a stretch. This site has been crickets for over a month. Look through the people on it and find some new friends. You are on the right track. You know what you have to do. Good luck!
  • NYCbaby28
    NYCbaby28 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey, sd_dilligaf!

Thanks for the response! FYI I've read through sooo many posts before I finally decided to pull the trigger & write (too many folks on here are judgmental, hypocritical & some are downright NASTY). But YOUR comments, on the other hand, are always honest, genuine & helpful. Needless to say you've been an inspiration to me. Friend me if you'd like; I need all the support I can get right now.

Thanks & I hope you're still going strong in your newfound sobriety & that your 4 girls & wife are well.

Rock on!

R
  • tom004
    Options
    I just signed on today, day 1 has been a success. I'm trying to cut alcohol out completely, during my weight loss battle.

Here's hoping that I can do it.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Tom
    I hope you can do it. I am trying to do it too. Wine every night is a habit I have, and it is unhealthy (understatement). I use it to relieve my stress, so I am looking into other ways to relieve stress throughout the day.

How are you doing?
    D