Can someone explain the numbers to me?

Options
stonel94
stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
Okay, so I was diagnosed with hashi's about a year and 1/2 ago now. When I was diagnosed my TSH was 7 or something like that
The thing is I was just told I have this thing and nobody really explained anything to me. You all talk about T3 T4 TSH all this stuff, can you explain what these things exactly are, how they're effected, and what the numbers should be, just all that stuff.

Replies

• ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    TSH should not be used an indicator for treatment regarding hypothyroidism. (If I were treated based on my TSH level, I wouldn't be treated at all- it was something like .075 the last time I checked.)

The way I understand it is that your body makes T4 hormone, and then converts it into T3. T3 is what regulates your metabolism. The problem is that some people don't make enough T4 and/or don't convert that into T3. More disturbingly, the majority of endocrinologist only give T4 supplementation, while T3 supplementation is also warranted. You should always have your FREE T3 and T4 tested, and treatment should be based on those numbers. Those numbers will vary based on what your lab ranges are, but most people feel best when their T4 and T3 levels are in the top of the lab range.

Hope this helps. Also, I am not a doctor- I just know what I know based on my experience with this disorder.
  • chaoticrunner
    chaoticrunner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So, the T3 and T4 are the hormones that your thyroid produces. The TSH is the hormone that tells your thyroid whether or not it needs to put out more hormones or not. So, when your TSH is high, that means that your body is telling your thyroid to produce more T3 and T4. The ideal TSH level is slightly different for everyone, but typically you want to shoot for anywhere between .5 and 4.3, and within that, preferably below 2.5. The T3 range is 22-35, and T4 is 5.6-14.9. Hope this helps.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of websites you can use to do some research. One is Mary Shomon's about.com thyroid website. The other is called "stopthethyroidmadness.com". Both have a lot of information. One thing I have learned is not to simply accept a diagnosis. I want the exact numbers and I ask questions A LOT OF QUESTIONS! If my doctor isn't willing to give me answers, I go elsewhere. It's important to find a doctor who discusses symptoms with me. :)
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of websites you can use to do some research. One is Mary Shomon's about.com thyroid website. The other is called "stopthethyroidmadness.com". Both have a lot of information. One thing I have learned is not to simply accept a diagnosis. I want the exact numbers and I ask questions A LOT OF QUESTIONS! If my doctor isn't willing to give me answers, I go elsewhere. It's important to find a doctor who discusses symptoms with me. :)

This ^ Both of those are great places to learn about your thyroid, and why TSH is unreliable when it comes to your thyroid. You can also find STTM on Facebook and great place to learn...good luck to you!
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options

This ^ Both of those are great places to learn about your thyroid, and why TSH is unreliable when it comes to your thyroid. You can also find STTM on Facebook and great place to learn...good luck to you!

I agree! Lots of really great info about the thyroid on both. And finding a doctor who will take the time to listen and answer your questions is key. After a lot of reading, when my doc was going to stop when my tsh was at 3.09, I was able to request the chance to at least try bringing it down to a low normal. I felt much better! And definitely get other things tested, like your t3, to help paint a better picture of what is happening to you, and what treatment will be best for you.