eat to your meter

Options
Shari325
Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
Can someone explain exactly how to do this?

In early April I had a too high FBG level. I started cutting out carbs and losing weight. My day time levels are good following this, but my morning numbers are still too high. My GP agreed not to put me on medication for three months to see if I could get the numbers down myself. Unfortunately, I don't know what I am doing.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Shari

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    What levels are "good" to you? Fasting numbers are the last to go up and the last to come down.

Here are three different explanations of eating to your meter. Basically, rather than following a set number of carbs per meal, you evaluate a particular meal using meter readings before eating and then at your peak.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php ( I also HIGHLY recommend reading the rest of this site!!)

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/03/14/testing-101/
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Did your GP refer you to a Diabetes Clinic or a nutritionist? It seems so many don't, but that really should be malpractice. Those basic sessions can be so helpful. Some hospitals have free Diabetes Support Groups, so that may be another way to get some valuable info if you haven't been to a nutritionist yet. Otherwise, KD is right about eating to your meter. The other part is moving as much as you can. There's a lot of reason to believe that exercise has a direct impact on that fasting number. On all our numbers, really. Few carbs, move as much as you can, and let the meter guide you. Hang in there, and good luck.

AND... if you end up needing the meds, it's okay. Some of us took them for a short time for the help they provided in getting the A1C down, some of us just need them, period, and for some of us our need changes over time. Meds don't mean a failure, they just mean extra support.

Good luck!
  • pnuthaymama
    Options
    Shari,

I can appreciate what you're trying to do. My A1c was 8.3 six months ago and 8.1 a couple of weeks ago. Because it was still way too high, my doctor also started talking about EXTRA meds (I'm already taking a lot). I found this site which helped me find some helpful links.

Since starting on mfp I've noted that my meter readings (prior to meals and also 2 hours after meals) are MUCH better. My goal is to get my A1c down in the 5.5 range. Others have done it so that's my plan. The way I understand it, eating to your meter simply means that you need to keep track of what you're eating. Eat the protein first and then add a low glycemic carb (something like green beans, broccoli, etc). Two hours after you eat, check your blood sugar reading. If it has spiked too high then you probably don't need to eat something that you ate (almost always in the carb family).

How many carbs per day are you eating? I have friends that are strictly paying attention to calories. That will not work for me. I'm trying to get into ketosis which means eating as close to 20g of carbs per day. Everyone needs to find the plan that works best for them. Carbs do not work for me.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    What that means is that even though we all have the same or similar issues - food, exercise and medication all do different things to each of us. Just because a food spikes one persons blood sugar doesn't mean it will for you or anyone else. But you can find out by testing your sugars after you eat it.

So when you are testing your blood sugar 1 and 2 hours after meals note which foods make you go too high and which ones keep you in a "normal" range (under 140). Then you will want to limit or cut out the foods that cause higher #s.

While I think we can all agree that most high carb foods and meals will not work for us there are a lot in the low to mid range that are ok for some and not for others - so eat to your meter. Apples spike you? Don't eat them. Blueberries don't? Ok to include. Sometimes it helps to reduce portions and retest.

I agree very much with the phrase - because I have seen a lot of people (diabetic or non) saying - eat or don't eat this or that... just because it spikes them doesn't mean it will spike you. Just because a food is considered healthy for the general population doesn't mean it won't spike many diabetics (quinoa for example).
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    What Jessie said. If you have no idea what you are doing you cannot expect to ever have true blood sugar control (you know the old line about success through good luck rather than good management). What you need to know to manage your condition over the years (yep, years,) is way too much to fit in a few comments from a peer forum, no matter how helpful those may be individually. You need to get to a diabetes education program - insist that your doctor refer you if you cannot go to a hospital or local clinic and just sign up for one yourself. Do not take "no" for an answer.

Diabetes manifests itself a little differently for each of us but all of the issues you mention in your OP are quite explicable - there are really very few mysteries once you understand the workings of the disease.

If you ALSO like self study, try a book entitled "Diabetes for Dummies" .

Good luck and good health to you.