Avacodos for Dummies

Options
bikermike5094
bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
Ok all, how do you eat avacodos? I can see putting them on salads, in eggs ect.. but do folks eat them raw? I love avacodos but just dont take the time to prepare them for eating.. any ideas?

Replies

• AMC72
    AMC72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half, remove the pit and have at it. I also like eating it with a hamburger. It's good in deviled eggs and, believe it or not, smoothies. I haven't tried it but I've seen where it's good to substitute mozzarella with avocado in insalata caprese.
  • mercurysballad
    mercurysballad Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I'll eat them a lot of different ways, but if you're looking for something easy to prepare try doing it like this:http://www.apronwarrior.com/2013/05/avocado-egg-bake.html

It's super simple and tastes great. Can't go wrong!
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half, scoop out the goop and eat it with a little salt and pepper. Sorry but I like salt.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I just ate some at lunch with my bacon and eggs. Plain and raw. But love them in any way imaginable probably.

(Nothing wrong with salt but I hope it's sea salt or Himilayan salt! No limit needed for those!)
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, I generally eat them raw--sliced on top of a burger, diced in just about any kind of salad, or mashed with a bit of sea salt and pepper (I did this yesterday using the skin as a sort of bowl) to be used as a dip for veggies.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I make mousse. Avocado, almond milk, vanilla, and cocoa powder in the food processor.

ETA: I also add cinnamon!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half, pitch the pit, scoop the good stuff out of the skin and sprinkle it with lemon/lime juice or vinegar, salt and pepper. Delicious.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    ...don't forget guacamole.....
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I throw some sliced avocado on my eggs in the AM (or PM), mix chunks in with salsa to top a salad or burger. Right now I have to eat it with something but I'm liking it more and more. Don't forget is you are not going to eat the whole thing to keep the pit with the rest and put it in the fridge. The pit helps keep it fresh.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I like to cut it in half and use it as a bowl for homemade tuna or crab salad.

Take slices of avocado or guacamole (about a tablespoon or two) and top my burger with it.

I also grill my avocado from time to time. I cut it in half and spray some evoo on it and then grill it cut side down for a few minutes. I use this for cob salads or just eat it as it is.

I also will puree avocado w/ sea salt, garlic powder, freshly cracked pepper, and just a bit of coconut milk to thin it out a bit. I like to use that as my salad dressing.
  • nynvilva
    nynvilva Posts: 54
    Options
    ...don't forget guacamole.....

If MFP were Facebook, I would "like" this post :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Any of you guys start off not liking avocados?

I want to like them (calories! nutrients! portable!), but I can't get past the flavor and texture. I've even mixed them with certain things, but the flavor still comes through.

Any recipes that incorporate them, but have other strong-flavored ingredients?
  • tommyprice2k
    Options
    Used to hate the bejezus out of them. Cold, slimy and creamy urghhhhhhhh

Then i started to get into mexican food and hit Guacamole! Revelation. Loved them ever since!