Protein: 1g per pound or kilo (of lean bodyweight)?

Options
Yogi_Carl
Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
Just a simple question (I hope) to clear up.

I have 20 pounds of excess fat to lose, but I am losing lean mass along with fat as my weight comes down, despite doing resistance exercise. I wonder if I am taking in enough protein.

I am eating 1g protein per kilo of my target lean weight at present, but should it be per pound of my target lean weight?

Replies

• thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't be losing and muscle mass unless your cutting carbs or calories. to me the whole 1g of protein per pound is way to much. i have put on about 10lbs of lean muscle mass and my average protein intake is like 60 to 75gs a day no supplements. it take a long time to start losing muscle mass. i wouldn't think your losing muscle mass unless your strength is going down.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks. In effect, I am cutting though it is not so much cutting in the bodybuilding sense, rather a case of losing about 20lbs of excess fat I have carried for years - time to get down to my ideal weight.

I guess it is inevitable that some lean mass will go with the reducing diet as well as fat.
  • thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    really there should be no muscle mass lost unless cutting calories and carbs a lot. that the number 1 mistake people make is when it comes to weight loss. i dont know what your diet looks like and how many calories you consume so im not sure.

check out dr.mcdougall i follow his diet plain it workouts well i lost weight with out doing anything then gained it back in muscle mass http://www.drmcdougall.com