Do you still take supplements?

Options
Since starting this way of eating, do you still take supplements...especially calcium and omega-3?

Replies

• nynvilva
    nynvilva Posts: 54
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin, B12, and Biotin. May up my Vitamin D, Calcium, and B12.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I take both Omega 3 and Calcium/Magnesium. I also take Vitamin D3/K2, C and E. I only started taking the Calcium/Magnesium because I read that doing so can relieve night-time leg cramps, which I was getting almost every night, despite trying the usual remedies of more water and potassium. Two days after I started taking the Calcium/Magnesium, the cramps stopped.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I take a multi for the extra calcium and iron. I hit all my micros every day, but I feel more comfortable with a little added insurance, especially because I tend to be anemic.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I take many lol- mainly because of Celiac Disease my body doesn't absorb vitamins and minerals from my food the way it should .I am always adding and taking away as I see I have different needs. Currently I take B-12, D3, high doses of vitamin C, evening primrose oil,a liquid muitl-vitamin, a probiotic, thyroid support and Cal/Mag and zinc at bed time to help me sleep.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Cod liver oil (for fish oil/omega 3s, I also get some A and D in it), vit E, and magnesium daily.
    Vit D as needed in winter/prolonged rainy times, and vit C as needed when sick.
    B-complex once or twice a week, rather than daily now. (http://perfecthealthdiet.com/recommended-supplements/) Supplementing fish oil depends on how much oily fish you eat. I don't eat near enough (maybe once a week), so I supplement.

Shouldn't really need calcium, if you've eliminated grains/sugar and eat low or moderate carbs (not SAD level).
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/calcium-supplements-goitrogenic-foods-high-mufa-seed-oils-and-jogging/#axzz2VLiZEbjn
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/08/why-you-shouldn’t-supplement-calcium/
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

I'm still paranoid anyway.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My supplements are provided based on my blood work. I've been about 90/10 paleo for the past two months and am due to get more blood work done later this month. My supplements and eating plan will be adjusted as needed. I'd rather meet my needs with foods, but that isn't always possible.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Yep. I live in the PNW, so D3 is pretty much standard around here. I take a multi, selenium, K2, fish oil, and a few others, all of which were recommended by my naturopath or CNM.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm with Zella - I crank the D3 (and k). (and test my levels at 52 now)
    Often do a solid multi

Daily on the omega3's and CoQ10

I am not lieing when I say I can FEEL the D3 and Omegas.

I started adding some zinc and magnesium, but not completely sold. I think I'm getting enough from all my veggies.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    I used to binge on crap carbs daily to deal with stress/anxiety. Now that I now longer crave these things and no longer eat my feelings, my anxiety is back, so I take valerian root, along with my cod liver oil.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    I take most of these recommendations:
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/recommended-supplements/

I've had a chronic electrolyte imbalance in my blood and following those recommendations have helped incredibly!
  • brenbrenm
    brenbrenm Posts: 81
    Options
    So then, it wouldn't be TOO much Omega 3 and calcium since we're getting so much in our food (especially Omega 3)?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    NO to calcium. If you are not eating grains, then calcium is not being leached from the body and much less is required.

I hate that I have to supplement but through trial and error and lack of access to some foods that I know I need I now supplement:

Vitamin D3 + K2 (I live in the Arctic, so I need lots)
    Dr. Mercola multivitamin (cleared up my cramping feet immediately-magnesium deficiency?)
    Dr. Mercola women's krill oil (I'm not a big fish eater so need more omega 3)
    Cod liver oil (I don't eat enough organ meat so need vitamin A-from animals not plants).

I actually FEEL the difference with these items, or I wouldn't bother.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Dr. Mercola women's krill oil (I'm not a big fish eater so need more omega 3)

I can't stand fish at all, so I was really afraid to start taking fish oil. But I really wanted to take fish oil instead of a plant based omega-3. I keep my fish oil capsules in the fridge and take them right before dinner. I've NEVER had a fishy burp or anything from them (thank goodness, because I probably would puke instantly). In fact, since going primal, I burp way less! Weird. Maybe I'm eating slower too since I have to chew so much more! Ha! But I digress. Keep your fish oil in the fridge anyway since it can go rancid! Gross!

I also take a probiotic (but want to start making my own sauerkraut and raw milk yogurt soon!), magnesium and potassium for my muscle cramps (dang water loss!), and sometimes put a bit of sea salt in my water to stay hydrated and get the bit of minerals in them. I also try to get outside during my lunch each day. When I'm really down (and in the winter) I take D3 almost daily. Can DEFINITELY feel a difference when it's warm and sunny! :)
  • meagan1106
    Options
    Supplements are tricky for me... even the natural ones. I am extremely wary of anything that is not whole-food, as I'm sure many of you are too being Primal/Paleo. There are so many things that you can take out there that are either synthetic or isolated forms of even natural vitamins and minerals, but due to the isolation of these compounds, the bio-availability of multivitamins, etc. is just not there. So you end up with a whole medicine cabinet of expensive supplements that aren't particularly getting into our blood streams to do much to help.

What I've found to work for me is a product called Juice Plus (www.lovewellnesswithjuiceplus.com) Not sure if anyone has heard of it, but it is a well researched product that I think complements this lifestyle, and any lifestyle actually.

It is very simple. Basically food in a capsule...the concept of juicing (a variety of 26 whole, vine-ripened fruits and veggies!) but the company, after juicing, immediately and at a low temperature (so as to not kill the nutrients by heating) dries the juice and leaves you with the phytonutrients and antioxidants in powder form. You can take this in capsule form or in the form of gummies. It has a nutrition label (not a supplement label) and it's not meant to replace fruits and veggies (ah what would we eat! haha) but it is meant to sort of bridge the gap between what we should be eating and what we do eat. Here, we all have healthy eating habits as Primal/Paleos, but even still, it is hard to get vine ripened produce or the variety that you get with JP each and every day.

I love it so much that I began sharing the product a few years ago and just love talking to people about nutrition in general and helping people get the nutrition they need (even if they already have a healthy diet) affordably.

I could go on and on about what this product has done for me and how it has basically transformed my life, my body, and my spirit, as well as the medical research it has been part of. But you can message me if you are interested in hearing a bit more. Or you can check out my site www.lovewellnesswithjuiceplus.com and ask me any questions after you browse.

Oh yeah--- PS....I have a way where kids up to seniors in college can get this stuff at no cost when an adult orders.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I do a multivitamin, glucosamine and chondroitin for my knee, fish oil, and Vitamin D.

Even with that I'm usually short potassium so I try to eat avocado and spinach almost every day.