Introduction

Options
_VoV
_VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
I am here on MFP, trying to lose weight with calorie restriction, so I don't know if I am following your charter. I have tried intuitive, health-goal oriented eating, but get scared when I start gaining weight and outgrowing my clothes. I also barely qualified for private health insurance for my family a few months ago.

I definitely want to make my BEHAVIOR the focus of my efforts here without sweating the numbers too much.

Anyway....that's me! How about you?

Replies

• allweatherheather
    Options
    Hi fellow HAES group folks!

I'm a frantically busy grad student with a long commute, a job, and multiple smaller hustles. I'm trying to make sure I fit both movement and appropriate fuel into each day and overall in the big picture. As I get older, I notice that my eating, sleeping and activity matter more and more for my mental sharpness, emotional mood and physical abilities.

I'm someone who is considered "obese" by most medical measures, but I'm here for process oriented tracking rather than focusing on weight loss goals. I have a history of disordered eating and I'm trying to learn how to use tracking to make sure I get enough (protein, fiber, iron, etc) and keep other things (sat fat, sodium, sugar) in moderation.

I might post a challenge idea I have later, if folks are interested in helping kick my butt about things I'm struggling with!

I hope that this will be a good group for focusing on process-oriented, long-haul lifestyle type stuff!
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm also a grad student, and between that and holding down a sometimes hectic full-time job, sometimes it's hard to be mindful of what I'm eating, or to make time to work out. I would love to figure out ways to encourage and motivate each other to move our bodies and make food choices that help our bodies feel great--any thoughts about that would be appreciated!

I should mention that I'm vegetarian, and sometimes I find it challenging to get the protein I think I need. (I'm not a big fan of beans, unfortunately.) Thoughts on that appreciated too. :)
  • allweatherheather
    Options
    I hear ya, effrontery. I am mostly vegetarian (though not totally, and likely never will be). Even on the once or twice a week days when I eat meat, most of my calorie deficit comes from under-consuming protein. Do you want to start a protein challenge thread here? I could also use encouragement getting enough vegetables, especially in the winter.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 50 grams of protein a day, but some people set their goals much higher. What level are you shooting for?
  • allweatherheather
    Options
    I'm not sure about effrontery, but I'm trying to get about 1/4 of my (rather generous, since i'm not focused on weight loss) calories from protein. Depending on activity, this is at least 100 g. The most I've ever managed was about 90g (that was on a day that included meat AND eggs AND cheese-a very unusual day), and average is more like 60-ish. I eat a lot of beans and nuts/seeds and higher protein grains. I could probably eat more tofu, but I'm struggling to eat less dairy.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new to using MFP and am looking to make friends, esp people who are aware of HAES!
  • shanfree
    Options
    Howdy, I'm newish to MFP. I'm excited to find this group of people for sure. I just wanted to say hello!
  • LeilaniMassage
    LeilaniMassage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hi all! Thanks for starting this group. I want to strive for balance not numbers and sites around food and exercise can make me feel a little crazy about the numbers. I do find that logging my food and exercise really motivates me and so does having friends support & encourage me. My favorite forms of exercise are hooping, belly dancing, and yoga although I also enjoy the results of bench pushups, pilates on the stability ball, weight lifting, and yogabootyballet. You can see me hoopdancing here on my youtube site http://www.youtube.com/user/leilanimassage/videos?view=0 Thanks for being here!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hello, HAES people. I'm new to this! I am in the middle of reading Linda Bacon's book, and am loving it so far. It definitely is speaking to me.

I've been dieting since age 11 or so, and am proof that it doesn't work. I'm ready to get off of the dieting bandwagon and learn to love my body. I want to want to not care about being thin, but I'm not there yet.

I am training for a half marathon (in October!) and am trying to cook more and eat more healthy options (and less junk, but I still love me some processed chips and cookies).

On a personal note, I'm a pre law student who is interning at the capitol in Nashville right now, with plans to go to Columbia Law in the fall of 2014. I live with my boyfriend, who I've been with for almost 5 years now. I also have two chihuahuas, ages 10 and 9, named Diva and Jacques.

Oh yeah, and my name is Leah.
  • dolphinie13
    dolphinie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello to my new group!! My name is Kelli, and I'm relatively new to the HAES movement. I've just finished the book by Linda Bacon, and I absolutely loved it! It clicks with me more than any other diet ever has.

Here's a little about me: I'm a 30 yr old single woman with a FT job, PT job, and sometimes volunteer commitments. I have three furry kids that meow at me and think they're people: Sativa, Spirit and Psyche. They're such cute cats!

I'm at a point in my life where I finally feel that I've come into my own. I've grown up (astonighing, I know). I'm commited to making my life everything that I want it to be, and not relying on old destructive habits to cope. One of the old habits I'm still trying to ditch is the emotional, mindless eating. It was a crutch for a long time, and I'm happy that it worked well for me. However, I'm ready to start feeling good about myself physically, and one of the ways to do that is to eat food that I love that also nourishes me. When I plow through a bag of chips while watching tv, I don't really even taste them after the first few. Afterward I usually feel slightly sick. Not a good way to live day-to-day. I'm finding those foods that I love and that also love me back. Lately it's been avocados. I swear that I could eat them every day, lol.

Also, I'm commited to moving my body joyfully. It was such a profound revelation to read those words in the HAES book. I love that concept! I have a cruiser bicycle that I love riding on the path by my house. Since it's nice weather I've been taking it out a few times a week. This is really rejuvenating! It's something that I can definitely keep up in the warmer months.

Thank you for starting this group, and please add me as a friend for reciprocal encouragement!
  • circemuse
    circemuse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm not sure if this group is active, but I was so happy to find that there were some HAES folks on MFP.

I've actually been using MFP for six month. I'm a proponent of HAES and size acceptance. I started using MFP in an effort to find a stable set point after massive weight loss and regain due to illness. I just wanted to be more mindful about my eating.

I'm a 40 year old former southerner, but I've been living in NYC for over a decade. I work in non-profit fundraising for a major international humanitarian NGO.

I would love to connect with some HAES people here.

Kim
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I am happy to find HAES on this site. I've been on MFP for over 2 years but only following HAES for about a year. I had lost a lot of weight when I originally joined (and was following OA). I since gained all of the weight back and am totally on the HAES/Body Acceptance band wagon. I'm involved with a group through my local Womens Health Clinic for women in my city who have eating disorders...the methodology is basically HAES. I'd like to meet other like-minded souls on MFP because, although my group does not recommend counting calories, I think it's important for me to have some sort of guage at this point. Like a budget for my pay cheque (which I also struggle with).

I am working on increasing my "joyful movement" and am loving enjoying the feeling of walking and being able to walk further and further as the weeks go along. The group I am currently participating in is mindful eating and although it is hard, it is soooo helpful. I can't believe how many foods I actually DON'T like that I've binged on for years!

Anyways, that's my introduction. Please friend me if you like. :)
  • kryalen
    kryalen Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Sara, I'm from Louisiana. I'm new to MFP, but I've been on the HAES bandwagon for a couple of years. I joined MFP to keep myself mindful of what I'm putting into my body, and to help me take responsibility for those choices! MFP has been helpful in that aspect, but problematic in other ways - mostly because of the focus on weight loss. Example: when I first joined, and had to choose a goal, I selected weight maintenance for lack of a better option (in reality, I have no concrete goal; I just strive to make healthy choices more often than not, and to turn those conscious choices into habits!). However, after inputting my personal stats, MFP AUTOMATICALLY changed my goal to weight loss, which really cheesed me off. I was able to switch it back, obviously, but there is still a bit too much weight-loss oriented talk around here for me, and I'm thrilled to have found a HAES-friendly group here on MFP!
  • dcchrisc
    dcchrisc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Christine. I am hoping we can get this group more active. I keep joining and then quitting MFP because all the weight talk starts to drive me bonkers. I think this group is just what I need. I am finding it difficult to implement the HAES in my life, and support from all of you would be wonderful.

Would others like to help get this group going again?
  • LilithLaquim
    LilithLaquim Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Christine. I am hoping we can get this group more active. I keep joining and then quitting MFP because all the weight talk starts to drive me bonkers. I think this group is just what I need. I am finding it difficult to implement the HAES in my life, and support from all of you would be wonderful.

Would others like to help get this group going again?

I keep quitting MFP too, for the same reason. I'd love to see this group active!
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've gotten into exercise, being strong, flexible and having endurance. I am losing weight gradually to meet fitness and strength goals but I don't want to be thin. I am feminist-oriented and I am kind of turned off by a lot of the "fat is always bad" stuff on MFP. It's a little hard to negotiate emotionally tbh.

I know I don't want to be thin but I do want to be active, healthy and able as I get older. Right now, some moderate long-term weight loss is fitting into that desire.