Why You Should Not Be Embarrassed

Options

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Got heckled a bit on Monday. A couple of guys in a pickup beeped their horn and shouted stuff at me. Clearly taunting, but I have no idea what they said, just the sound of their voice and their arm movements. I was well away from them, up on the sidewalk. It didn't bother me as such, young idiots, wouldn't stop me running, but I didn't like it. Interesting to know that even fit runners can run into those kind of jerks.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have had a car veer toward me on more than one occasion. Once I think it was accidental, the other time it was a pick up truck with two guys in it and they sped up as they did it. I'm pretty sure that was on purpose. No one has hooted or hollered anything yet.

When I decided to do this, I also decided that I wouldn't worry about what other people thought. I have found that mostly people are supportive and many seem to admire me for it. I like thinking that someone might look at me out there jiggling and struggling and think "If she can do it, maybe I could too."
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Very true. One of my coworkers is training for a triathalon and when I told him I was working on the C25K program, he gave me a pat on the back. It was encouraging.

I just can't believe people would veer toward runners or flip them off. Who does THAT? Ugh.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that happen while running, but I think it's actually worse for bikers. I think where I live the runners are pretty "safe" from harrassment, but people get hostile towards bikers due to squeezed lane width. Some of the bikers need to be harrassed, others get it by virtue of being ON a bike.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My husband was really worried about running and I promised him no one would say anything or even notice or care. Of course, the first day he did it, we ran past a bunch of guys at the lumber yard and one (who goes to our church) came out and clapped. At least it was encouragement.

I have never had anything other than people openly staring. Like, sitting on the river bank fishing and just STAAAARING. I stared back. It's like, do you think I can't see you just because I'm moving??? But I guess one of the perks of running with a small child is that no one with the smallest speck of decency is going to pretend to hit you with their car or yell something vulgar. Maybe seeing a mom/kid pair instead of runners gives them pause?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue as a runner. However, I know a lot of time we blame things on our weight when it's really just part of living.
  • destructor2013
    Options
    I feel like that blog post could be written about me. I was out doing the run/walk of W1D2 (which technically was W2D2) and crossed paths with someone I hadn't seen before and she waved at me and I waved back and that was about it. She was clearly in much better shape than I am, but she didn't glare or anything which was appreciated. When I was nearly done I crossed paths with some older women (they were walking) and I said hello and I think they might've said hello, not sure as I had headphones on, but they seemed to kinda give me a weird look. Shrug, oh well. Can't expect everyone to be super friendly. Some people are jerks, some people are just social, some people are just not morning people.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue as a runner. However, I know a lot of time we blame things on our weight when it's really just part of living.

I think you are right on with this one. It's hard not to internalize things, though.
  • laragc
    laragc Posts: 11
    Options
    I did my first 5K today with my husband. I was on W3D3 and he was on w2D2. We are both overweight. Overwhelmingly people were incredibly supportive and a complete stranger took a picture of us as we came across the finish line and emailed it to us because he had heard us saying it was both of our first 5Ks. Other runners started somewhere too and at least here they are supportive of trying. I've never had anything other than support out on the tracks or trails here, although I don't run near cars.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think this is honestly why I've never really put a lot of effort into exercising before now. I've cared way too much about what people think about me, for way too long. Now that I'm over 40 and have decided I want to be fit and happy, I just don't give a sh** what anyone thinks about the way I look . Like the post said, I'm at least lapping everyone on the couch.

I've been running on a 2-mile long "rail trail" near my house, and the gym we go to is at the other end of the trail. It's SO nice to have this option, especially as a beginning runner. Most everyone on the trail is friendly and I often see people I know or at least recognize from the gym. A few weeks ago I saw a guy running on the trail whom I know to be an experienced marathon runner. I immediately tensed up and felt that old self-consciousness creeping in. "Who am I to be sharing this pavement with such an athlete?" I could almost hear myself saying out loud.

Then I had to have a little talk with myself to say, "STFU. You are out here. You are doing this, saddlebags and all and you are making yourself better with every step". And when I passed him again in the other direction I concentrated on my form and mustered up the biggest smile I could.

I had a really bad run last week on W5D2 and have let it get me down. Even contemplated stopping altogether. But reading this post has inspired me to keep on keepin' on, even if I have to repeat this day for a month until I get that 8 minutes in.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad run last week on W5D2 and have let it get me down. Even contemplated stopping altogether. But reading this post has inspired me to keep on keepin' on, even if I have to repeat this day for a month until I get that 8 minutes in.

My MFP friends have pulled me back from the edge of the abyss many a time! Congratulations to you! You will get there. Slow down, keep pushing through, and repeat if you need too. Every bad run just means the next one's going to be better. You are getting stronger every time you lace up your shoes and push through those intervals. :-)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Then I had to have a little talk with myself to say, "STFU. You are out here. You are doing this, saddlebags and all and you are making yourself better with every step". And when I passed him again in the other direction I concentrated on my form and mustered up the biggest smile I could.

Not only are you making you better, you're making *him* better. New runners inspire everybody.

That being said, you need to slow down to make that second 8 minute run. You are capable of it now, if you figure out the pace you need to maintain.