Tips for running in heat

Options
missig0587
missig0587 Posts: 9 Member
Hey guys! I just recently got back into running and I'd love to do another half soon. My dilemma is I'm currently deployed and the heat and humidity here is extreme, even at 5am. I have another 10k this Saturday and was wondering if anyone had any tips for running in heat besides the obvious "drink lots of water". Anything would help. Thanks!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Slow down.

Seriously, that's it. It takes about 3 weeks to acclimate to the heat. After that, it is what it is. Some people are built for heat, others aren't.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that's tough...I'm running at 3:30 am. Make sure you're hydrated. Not just that day, but the day before as well. I hope someone has some better tips for you than I do.
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was running in yesterday's Texas heat: 91 degrees with 53% humidity. I took water with me and, as Carson already said, I slowed down. My goal was a 10k but I only went 4.4 miles. I did a 40 min swim before my run (training for a tri) so I was already a little "spent" from the heat in the pool.

One side of the road I was on had a little shade so I opted to run with traffic. I don't advise that but I made the exception because it is a quiet/safe neighborhood.

Stay safe, stay hydrated and PLEASE be careful in the heat.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It helps me to run early or late. It makes a big difference not having the sun beating down on you.
    The heat makes my heart rate soar so I have to slow down. Don't push too hard and stay hydrated.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd year running in the AZ summer heat. I can really feel the decline in my speed. I run between 4-5:30 AM. It's anywhere between 75-80 degrees already. I prefer the 40's & 50's. It is what it is though & I know come Oct & Nov, I'll get my speed back.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't have the page number handy but I've got an Excel spreadsheet that I use cites Daniels and it indicates a high temperature impact of about 1 second per mile for every degree over 60º (actual value is 0.8 seconds/mile). There is no mention of adjustments for humidity but perhaps that's wet bulb temp.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Heat, and especially the sun beating down on me, is like my kryptonite! I can't stand it. I did some runs while on vacation on a hot, humid island and they were tough for me. Then we left super early in the morning to go the airport and I saw all the locals out for their runs! Try to go on your runs before the sun comes up, and if you can, find a group to run with. These folks were smart & organized - they had all sorts of blinking lights attached to them, they were running in a group (which made them more visible) and they were running against traffic so they could see oncoming cars. Back home, I usually run by myself super early (mainly due to my schedule but also to avoid the sun), but I just didn't feel comfortable running on my own in a foreign country that I didn't know that well by myself in the dark - I wished I had hooked up with the locals for their run!

Take it slow, definitely hydrate - if you sweat a LOT, just plain water may not be sufficient to hydrate with. Keep drinking the rest of the day too - don't just hydrate during your run.

And as you're suffering through the hot, humid runs, think of what a rock star runner you'll be when you can run in nicer conditions!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    average daily temperature during training for my marathon was between 20 degrees and 40 degrees if im lucky. throw in snow and constant rain, too.

marathon day and it's in the early 80's by 7.00 am. My tip?

Wear a hat, and constantly keep pouring water over your head to keep yourself cool..and stay hydrated...ohh and drop the pace, too.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I had my first 50 miler in 90 degree heat and humidity. Since I am slow, that meant just over 12 hours, and due to the fact that it was the hottest 4 day streak since July 2012, I had no time to acclimate. Coming into the aid station at mile 26 I was getting dizzy and really starting to feel it. What made the difference for me? Ice down the sports bra. Yep, it's one of those times that it's great to be a girl. Previously I had been envying all of the guys with their shirts off- no more! Sure I'm a bit "lumpy" in my photos, but it may have made the difference between finishing and not.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Run by HR and not by pace. It's a much better indicator as to how your body is dealing with the elements.
  • missig0587
    missig0587 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. Race time is at 5am and by that time it's already in the mid 80s. Average temps have been between 105-109 already so water is my friend.

Will any of you be at MCM this year? I'll be in the 10k with my husband since the full is already sold out. That should be right in the middle of my r&r when I get home.
  • sarahc001
    Options
    I'll be at MCM :happy: Should be cooler, but you never know...
  • sarahc001
    Options
    Here's a great article on heat acclimation, if you are interested:

http://www.irunfar.com/2010/04/heat-acclimation-for-runners.html