Exercise and Supply

Options
Just wondering if there are any mommies who out there that have been able to maintain a good exercise program and not affect their milk supply. I love my exercise and feel tired and depressed without it, but am very worried that it will decrease my supply. I know a lot of people will say just take it easy, but that doesn't really work for me, I like to get a good sweat on!! So anything you did or any ideas where I can manage both??

Replies

• techauk
    techauk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My LO is 12 weeks today and I have been working out 5x a week (Zumba, Tabata, etc) going on 3 weeks. I have not seen a decrease in my supply so far. I'm with you I feel so much better when I work out. Make sure to drink a lot of water (I need to work on this) and if you notice your LO eats more often or doesn't seem full, reduce your workout a little (or increase your water intake). Good luck and keep it up!!
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have been doing turbofire for 4 months now and have had no issues. Exercising won't decrease your supply if you eat enough. It's the lost calories from exercise that may cause a dip in your supply. Just fuel your workouts and you should be fine!
  • smmundy
    smmundy Posts: 12
    Options
    I have been doing turbofire for 4 months now and have had no issues. Exercising won't decrease your supply if you eat enough. It's the lost calories from exercise that may cause a dip in your supply. Just fuel your workouts and you should be fine!

What is typical calorie intake for a nursing mother.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    BUMP - my LO is 6 weeks old tomorrow, and we are EBFing. I got cleared for exercise yesterday. I have a Spin bike at home and would like to take brisk walks in the morning so long as it's not ridiculously hot (I live in SC, so, yeah...). When baby has a more consistent schedule, I want to get back into running in the AM and going to my favorite Spinning location for Spinning/Spinning and yoga/Spinning and Tabata. I'd also like to add weight training.

In the past four weeks I've lost almost 10 lbs (my postpartum loss had already stalled at 1.5 weeks). I eat 1800-1900 calories, meaning that's what I actually consume. Assuming -500 for BFing means a net of 1300-1400. Some days I'm closer to 1800; other days I am slightly over 1900 (50 calories or less), but more often than not I end up around 1850. I drink tons of water, too. I will eat back exercise calories.

Anyway, I wanted to see if any more ladies had input for how exercise affects supply. I've heard of women having supply issues when they started exercising, but I don't know if they didn't up their water or calorie intake or what.

Thank you!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of turbofire and have a 11 month old that still nurses. I have had no issues at all throughout the past year. When my daughter would nurse exclusively i ate around 1800-2000 calories. I wouldn't recommended going under 1800. Like others say, exercise wont hurt but you need to eat enough. :)