About to walk in the gym- Newbie

Options
I have never lifted weights, I'm afraid I'm going to look like I don't know ****, I'm nervous that im going to look like a fool, I'm actually terrified of working on a machine the wrong wag and people will laugh. Is there any gym etiquette tips I should know, or any pointers anyone has.... Did I say that I'm super scared?

Replies

• ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid =)
    Most machines have instructions on how to do the corrcect movement for each exercise. just pick a weight that is comfortable to do for reps. Not to hard and not to easy. Lifting weights...(in my opinion) is THE BEST and so MUCH FUN! And never be afraid to ask soneone, try finding a trainer at your gym to give you a tutorial on the machines. ( without charge)
    HAVE FUN!!
  • csm2010
    csm2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey girly- Good job! Don't be scared. I had never lifted weight until 3 months ago. I am now on my last week of this Live Fit program.

It's good for newbies! There is a schedule for each day, each exercise has videos you can click on to show you how to do it. It's progressive too! Each day is different so you won't get bored. I'd just take a picture of the workout on my phone and skim over my phone at the gym.
    People might look at you, but not because they think you are new- but because your a female and you're not scared of the guys area. lol.
    Let me know if you do it! I'm getting ready to start the program over next week actually : )
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • mandyspark
    mandyspark Posts: 20
    Options
    I felt the exact same way as you. Chances are noone is watching like you think they are :) Also, if I wasn't sure about an exercise or machine and didn't want to look silly I googled it and sometimes watched youtube instruction videos before I hit the gym. I also ALWAYS go into the gym with my training book where I lay out exactly what I am going to do so I never look silly walking around looking confused. Don't forget EVERYONE was a newbie at some point.