Gluten Free

Options
Has anyone had any sucess with a gluten free diet and having hypothyroid? I was recentley told I'm gluten intolorant and was wondering if anyone else had this issue on top of a sluggish thyroid?

Replies

• VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have been told to go gluten free and dairy free because of hypothyroidism. Not much success yet, but this is all fairly new for me. I think I am feeling better some days so I'm hoping that will become a more regular thing!
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    Has anyone had any sucess with a gluten free diet and having hypothyroid? I was recentley told I'm gluten intolorant and was wondering if anyone else had this issue on top of a sluggish thyroid?

Hello! I just joined this group after searching for some others who are hypo and are cutting out gluten from their diets. My Naturopath recommended that I cut out gluten to see if it helped with absorption of my synthroid and to resolve a number of other issues I am having (joint pain, brain fog, skin problems, etc.). One important detail she told me is to try this out for at least 5-6 weeks. She said that people will only really start to feel significant results after at least 4 weeks gluten-free.

This is probably because I don't have Celiac's disease, where my body's reaction to gluten would be a lot stronger a lot sooner. I likely just have an intolerance, which shows itself in different ways.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have removed gluten from their diets to see how they are doing, especially with weight loss!
  • hockeyMumof2
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism, and have heard to try gluten, and dairy free diets. I was recently tested for celiac disease and it was negative. I guess even though its negative you can still be intolerant to gluten, so its worth a try. I have been battling 40 pounds weight gain over the last 3-4 years with little success. I have exercised and dieted strictly and was able to reach 13 pound lost overall, but if I even slip the slightest I gain up to 5lbs, and yo-yo back and forth. Its very frustrating, as I know many of you are aware. I am going to try gluten and dairy free and will post my results, with a lot of effort and some luck I hope I will reach my goal, and you all as well!
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I've not only gone gluten free, but I'm "dieting" by doing the 5:2 eating plan, and have lost 21 pounds. My doctor upped my armour thyroid meds, so between all three, I've finally lost weight. Feel great as well!
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    Going gluten free helps a lot of people feel better who aren't even officially intolerant. There is actually nothing in wheat that you need, nothing at all, it's basically useless for your body. Yahyahyah, whole wheat is a whole grain, I know, but there's nothing there that you can't get from other, better whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, etc
    What will you lose by going gluten free? Nothing! Try it for at least one month, some people's systems take a longer time to show results. If you feel no different after a whole month, then add gluten back in and see if you feel worse! If not, then try the same thing with dairy. It's good to do them separate so you know which one is the culprit, if not both.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yep-I'm gluten sensitive, and pretty much cut out all breads. I eat brown rice and quinoa for grains, and lots of salads and protein. Works for me! Good luck